Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Favourite labels (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=20869)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 10.30.2008 02:57 AM

I don't care about labels, I like bands.

Toxa 10.30.2008 07:28 PM

cryptogramophone
w.i.n. records
nine winds
little brother records
strange attractors audio house
long song
victo
ground fault
atavistic
amphetamine reptile
matador
banned productions
smells like records

jon boy 10.30.2008 07:37 PM

thing about labels is there are just so many, especially nowadays and so many that put out really good stuff. its probably easier to say who i dont like.

stu666 10.31.2008 05:09 AM

Manhand

SonicBebs 10.31.2008 05:20 AM

i like George at Asda

(has noone done that joke yet? Haven't read 5 pages of made up record labels)

Death & the Maiden 10.31.2008 05:32 AM

Prince Melon
Hot Records/Didgeridoo Records

stu666 01.29.2009 02:46 AM

Night People

✌➬ 01.29.2009 02:57 AM

Why do people care so much about a label?

_slavo_ 01.29.2009 03:47 AM

Reverb Worship is a pretty kickass label.

Florya 01.29.2009 04:08 AM

Industrial Records
Factory
Small Wonder
Durtro
BLRR
Blast First
Mute
Warp
Sub Pop
Rough Trade
Stiff
4AD
Harvest
Chrysalis
Stax

blunderbuss 04.02.2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
I've changed my mind on this one. Alex puts out some good stuff, but he puts his pre-orders on sale waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early. Back in the middle of June I paid $15 for his Marble Sky re-release and it's still not out. I have every confidence that it will be released, sooner or later, and I know that the delay is something to do with the Natural Snow Buildings release that SoD has just put out, but, for God's sake, a four and a half month wait, and still no news as to when the CD I've pre-ordered will get its release... well, it's a bit annoying.

still waiting....

noisereductions 04.02.2009 01:39 PM

Kpunk.com

Rob Instigator 04.02.2009 02:07 PM

Avery 5160

simply the best labels

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 12:22 AM

Please stop replying with "why do people care about labels?" No label is perfect, but labels often times put just as much, if not MORE, work/money/time into releasing music than a lot of bands do MAKING the music, especially in the microlabel noise scene. Have you SEEN some of the packaging these little microlabels do? I'm not a packaging fanatic, I couldn't care less how a release looks usually, but damn, they're still working their asses off on something that's going to be limited to 20 copies.

As far as bigger labels go, you probably wouldn't HEAR any bands if these labels didn't release them. Which is why most people that just self-release everything, unless they're already established somehow (by their prior affiliation with a label), don't sell shit.

"Label worship" is silly, sure, but let's look at some random label.. oh.... WAGON. I have bought/traded for/downloaded a large chunk of their catalogue and EVERY SINGLE RELEASE ON THAT LABEL THAT I'VE HEARD has been great! Usually, if the label head has good tastes and isn't doing shit just for money (again, this usually just applies to microlabels), then you can trust that nearly every release on that label is great.

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dntrecords
wow, nobody's mentioned Ralph Records yet?!?!

This is one of my all time favorite labels. The holy trio of Snakefinger, Residents, and Renaldo and the Loaf. That doesn't even count the amazing Tuxedomoon and MX-80 releases. Really inspiring, amazing stuff.

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
still waiting....

If I'm not mistaken, this came out sometime last week.

Toilet & Bowels 04.03.2009 07:33 AM

these aren't necessarily favourites, more just labels that are interesting me these days

attic cassettes
deep fried tapes
siltbreeze (as always)
foxglove/digitalis etc
sacred bones
columbus discount
heavy tapes & heavy blossom
parts unknown

batreleaser 04.03.2009 11:23 AM

siltbreeze, s-s, hereseee, animal disguise, american tapes, eclipse records, fusetron sound, hospital productions (dom's really thickened that catalog with some amazing no fi black metal, minimal synth, and death industrial music to go along with the usual harsh noise), misanthropic agenda, chondritic sound, deathbomb arc, psf, arbor, chocolate monk, misisippi, celebrate psi phenomenon, etc...

greedrex 04.03.2009 12:09 PM

touch and go
quarterstick
jag
drag city
thrill jockey
distile
monitor
temporary residence

emi
warner
universal

narlus 04.03.2009 12:24 PM

Flying Nun
Homestead
Tzadik
Time-Lag
Eclipse
Touch and Go
Drag City
Matador
Majora
xpressway
Hangman
Siltbreeze
Ajax
Amphetamine Reptile
Jewelled Antler
Inoxia/Daymare
Kranky
Thrill Jockey
Chemikal Underground
ESP Disk
SST
Neurot
Independent Project
Creation
Cog Sinister
PSF
Threshold House
Important
Takoma
FMP
BYG/Actuel
United Artists
Brain
Twisted Village
United Dairies
Audible Hiss
Impulse
Discreet
Rough Trade
Sundazed
Shadoks

[Sandbag] 04.03.2009 02:24 PM

I never paid attention to labels to be honest.. for example Sub Pop, Ecstatic Peace, Touch and Go/Q do and Matador release plenty of stuff from a couple of bands i like, but also of loads of bands i havent listened to or i think sound like shit..so i dont know what to pick in the moment to say i like a label..

I'd love to have my own label though..

DeadDiscoDildo 04.03.2009 03:38 PM

True, I don't think I've ever loved a label. Just music.

Labels get lucky by getting amazing bands, cuz most bands that labels get are shit.

Though, when my bands debut is out and we finish sending out mass cds to all labels, maybe I'll love that one that chooses us! haha

or at least, deal with it

Rob Instigator 04.03.2009 03:56 PM

shit. fleet foxes are on sub pop. that automatically discounts the "love a labe/love it's roster" myth.

[Sandbag] 04.03.2009 06:48 PM

I'll go with good old Corwood ;P

atsonicpark 04.03.2009 07:04 PM

Yeah, i was thinking the same thing: Corwood's never had a bad release.

greedrex 04.04.2009 02:19 AM

yes i love Corwood's website; it's all Flash and shit. wow.

Glice 06.06.2009 04:35 PM

It occured to me a moment ago, as I'm listening to a Jakob Ullmann record on Editions RZ, that I have loads of CDs from this label. And then I looked at its roster, which is just insanely brilliant - Ullmann, Lachenman, Xenakis, Cage, Radelescu, Tudor, Koenig, Nono, Lang, Kibusch and lots of people I haven't heard of who must, by proxy, be awesome. So yes. Edition RZ - my new favourite label.

http://www.edition-rz.de/

stu666 07.31.2011 04:54 AM

not not fun
olde english spelling bee
northern-spy

Genteel Death 07.31.2011 05:16 AM

DAIS