Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   It's official - NNCK are the best band in the world. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9010)

porkmarras 01.12.2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Hmmm....i'm changing my mind a bit about this band.I'm listening to 'Witch' and it really is a fantastic track.

Completely changed my mind over this.What's so special about it?Britpop of the psychedelic sounds?They aren't anything done or heard before regardless of the youthful enthusiasm and that includes musicianship vastly misunderstood by whoever started this thread.Live or not.

Iain 01.12.2007 11:32 PM

Ahhh...that's how it starts Porky. You'll listen to it and on one occaision it'll sound like the best thing ever and the next time you listen you'll wonder what you even saw in it before...but you'll be compelled to listen again..and then, eventually, you'll be converted....jooiiiinn uuusssssss

Glice 01.13.2007 09:02 AM

I had that. Bought Letters from the Earth because the shop had just sold out the wooden box version of sticks and stones. Put it on, pottered about. Didn't really listen to it particularly. Listened to some other things. Put it on again, thought 'this is interesting'. Played it to a friend, another Wire reader. Suddenly went 'Oh my fucking life this is incredible'.

porkmarras 01.13.2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iain
Ahhh...that's how it starts Porky. You'll listen to it and on one occaision it'll sound like the best thing ever and the next time you listen you'll wonder what you even saw in it before...but you'll be compelled to listen again..and then, eventually, you'll be converted....jooiiiinn uuusssssss

I think your right.I'm listening to them today and they are the best thing in the world again.Sorry,i'm just a moody bastard sometimes.

Gulasch Noir 01.27.2007 06:03 AM

If you scroll down, you'll find a few rapidshare links
http://grown-so-ugly.blogspot.com/20...e-with_28.html
LETTERS FROM THE SERTH (2 parts)

part one

part two

THE BIRTH OF BOTH WORLDS (3 parts)

part one

part two

part three

INTONOMANCY (2 parts)

part one

part two

PARALLEL EASTERS (3 parts)

part one

part two

part three

Gulasch Noir 02.17.2007 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
i thanked you in telepathy when you posted those links.

You're welcome. Thanks for bringing back this thread, because I had forgotten about it and didn't download the things.

sarramkrop 03.07.2007 07:52 PM

I haven't seen this band live and i feel like i'm missing out on a band that truly is to be heard to believe your ears but i'm finding myself listening to their records(downloaded for now) so frequently that my doubts are beginning to wane fastly.They seem to inhabit that tradition of nomadic but urbanized music that generally is spawned by New York.I likes it a lot.

Iain 03.07.2007 07:59 PM

Hooray, Porky has truly joined the cult of nnck. I think they are playing again in the UK in May so maybe you will get to see them soon. (I think euro tour was mentioned for May so maybe there will be UK dates)

sarramkrop 03.07.2007 09:05 PM

I think that they are the only band i'm truly commited to travel a distance to see live.

scott v 03.07.2007 09:46 PM

ok in all honesty NNCK are good, perhaps great but the best is very disputable because without groundbreaking groups like Smegma and Doo-Dooettes who were based around LAFMS (Los Angeles Free Music Society) founded back in the 70's, then certainly bands like NNCK and Sunburned and alot of the so-called "New Weird America" (and including Finland) wouldn't exist... do some research, i'm not bursting anyone's bubble but if you've heard the LAFMS boxset or the first few Smegma albums (Glamour Girl 1941 &/or Pigs from Lepers) or Doo-Dooettes (Think Space &/or Free Rock w/ Keiji Haino) or that live Airway LP you'll know what i'm saying.

!@#$%! 03.07.2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
ok in all honesty NNCK are good, perhaps great but the best is very disputable because without groundbreaking groups like Smegma and Doo-Dooettes who were based around LAFMS (Los Angeles Free Music Society) founded back in the 70's, then certainly bands like NNCK and Sunburned and alot of the so-called "New Weird America" (and including Finland) wouldn't exist... do some research, i'm not bursting anyone's bubble but if you've heard the LAFMS boxset or the first few Smegma albums (Glamour Girl 1941 &/or Pigs from Lepers) or Doo-Dooettes (Think Space &/or Free Rock w/ Keiji Haino) or that live Airway LP you'll know what i'm saying.

you tell them!-- groupthink is scary-- i fear these "13 apostles" might devolve into a dangerous cult-- and brainwash our children

!@#$%! 03.07.2007 09:59 PM

krastian 03.08.2007 01:17 AM

Toilet & Bowels 03.08.2007 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v

you're saying that because they influenced by other stuff (stuff i've heard/got) that they aren't as good as i think they are?

By your logic music can only get worse as time goes by.

scott v 03.08.2007 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
you're saying that because they influenced by other stuff (stuff i've heard/got) that they aren't as good as i think they are?

By your logic music can only get worse as time goes by.

oh no i reread my post and i can see how it can easily be interpreted as such... anyways some of the roots of what NNCK are doing lies within the LAFMS/Smegma/Doo-Dooettes thats all i'm saying, and its great that the tradition of experimentation and exploring "sound" is continuing in an intelligent and ingenuine fashion within groups like NNCK!!! so don't miss out on what LAFMS and associated groupings were doing back in the day.

btw Smegma's Glamour Girl is quite great to my ears, though i think it didn't hit me into about halfway thru the last track, and Pigs for Lepers is just as good in a totally diffrent level... it just make's me want to obtain that LAFMS 10cd boxset more and more, but i can't get myself to fork over $100 to do it (though its a good price for a boxset that size).

anyways do a search on www.mutant-sounds.blogspot.com and www.thethingonthedoorstep.blogspot.com on "LAFMS" and "Smegma" and you find some of what i'm talking about. plus those two blogs have some of the mos tinteresting and rare "out" music that is near impossible or very expensive to obtain.

jon boy 03.19.2007 05:59 AM

could be derek bailey? have not listened to the interview yet so...

Iain 03.19.2007 06:16 AM

I'm pretty sure it was Fahey they were talking about.

sun city girl 03.19.2007 08:37 AM

NNCK are coming to finland in may...

tesla69 03.19.2007 10:05 AM

heyner's death metal band SUCKS!!!

Iain 03.19.2007 11:15 AM

What are they called?

Has anyone heard Coachfingers? It's the oddest NNCK side project I've heard but odd in a NNCK context. i.e., it's totally straight rock pretty much with nice singalongable songs about walruses and stuff.