Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best Produced Sonic Youth Album? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38101)

Genteel Death 02.13.2010 05:18 AM

I prefer it when the songs take a life of their own in their live versions, at least for bands with more free form songs like Sonic Youth. Pavement are a good example for that, because I really, really enjoyed their gigs the two times I've seen them, whereas on the other hand I can't listen to an entire album of theirs.

mil_pl 02.13.2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrei
GOOD: Sonic Nurse / Washing Machine / NYC Ghosts

BAD: Goo / Rather Ripped

rather ripped is far way better produced than the eternal.......................

max 03.01.2010 09:05 PM

without a doubt the best sounding album they have ever recorded is DIRTY. and the fact that Chris Fucking Lawrence is of the same opinion pretty much speaks for itself. that album just teaches people how to sound good.

Butch Fucking Vig.
end of the story.

I just wish they had GENETIC in the tracklisting!

possibly the best produced rock album of the decade.
possibly.

RUDE AWAKENING by PRONG concurs.

demonrail666 03.02.2010 04:10 AM

Confusion is Sex

Genteel Death 03.02.2010 04:32 AM

Dirty their best-produced album??? People, wash your ears.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.02.2010 05:11 AM

1. Washing Machine
2. Confusion is Sex
3. Bad Moon Rising

krastian 03.04.2010 09:50 PM

My first thought off the top of my head without really thinking about it is Goo.

Chris Lawrence 03.05.2010 12:55 AM

okay, following up on my comments earlier in the thread, i just heard 'the ineffable me' in the car and uh, it's pretty fucking awesome. and when i stopped to think about it, the album takes of 'french tickler', 'hits of sunshine', 'karen', 'snare' and 'heather' are all awesome, which is the entire back half of the record, so i think my problem w/ ATL after all these years is just a few less than optimal takes used on the first half of the album, namely 'female mechanic', 'wildflower', and 'hoarfrost'. specifically compared to the early live versions (actually with 'hoarfrost' i might be thinking of bits they added after the record, specifically lee's great delay parts before the "wheels paddle" section). still, 'female mechanic' and 'wildflower' are two heavy hitters on this album and i guess to this date i'm still not thrilled w/ their finalized recorded versions, and to be honest it's just parts here and there where i was spoiled by live versions.

fuck, what the hell am i trying to say? i still prefer a good '98 soundboard (lee's ring mod terror on 'french tickler' just screams thru the mix where-as it barely makes a roar on the LP, and numerous other things like that) but i suppose i should put a nail in the coffin which contains my contempt for ATL as a studio artifact.

also, 'dirty' fucking rules.

Sucklechimp 03.05.2010 02:29 PM

Gonna have to go with Nurse. It's just the best sounding record, thanks to Jim probably.

Mortte Jousimo 03.06.2010 03:33 AM

In my opinion thereīs no Sonic Youth album that sounds bad, I think even the "heavy" sounds of Goo fit in the songs. But I like every album that they made in Sear Sound, because they sound so natural (Sister, Experimental and Rather Ripped). And ATL has also very warm sounds.

the ikara cult 03.06.2010 09:51 AM

A Thousand Leaves is about the crispest sounding thing Ive ever heard. I was gonna mention the start of Hits Of Sunshine, but the whole thing sounds beautiful

Glice 03.06.2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Confusion is Sex

Confusion is Sex.

And ATL. I like it soft and muddy. I tend to think of Washing Machine as so crisp as to be transparent. It's really well-mixed... actually, for most bands, it's a brilliantly produced/ mixed record, but it's not really why I like SY.

eternal 03.06.2010 01:29 PM

i think Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped have the best production. i find the Eternal is too bass heavy and it drowns out alot of details in the high frequencies

the ikara cult 03.06.2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Confusion is Sex.

And ATL. I like it soft and muddy. I tend to think of Washing Machine as so crisp as to be transparent. It's really well-mixed... actually, for most bands, it's a brilliantly produced/ mixed record, but it's not really why I like SY.

Washing Machine would sound nice if it had better songs on, the title track and The Diamond Sea are particularly nice as individual pieces. But i dont think you can take their albums as they are if you have an issue with the engineering. Daydream Nation is the best SY album, but it was produced, if not terribly, at least very badly.

EVOLghost 03.06.2010 05:03 PM

ATL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and Nurse.

HaydenAsche 03.06.2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe
I like the way Murray Street sounds.

Ah. Yes. The production on Murray Street was flawless.

Mortte Jousimo 03.07.2010 03:12 AM

Washing Machine is great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Washing Machine would sound nice if it had better songs on, the title track and The Diamond Sea are particularly nice as individual pieces. But i dont think you can take their albums as they are if you have an issue with the engineering. Daydream Nation is the best SY album, but it was produced, if not terribly, at least very badly.

I love every song on Washing Machine. As a matter of fact thereīs is no Sonic Youth song that I donīt like at all. Well, I need a certain mood, when I want to listen "In the Fishtank". How music sounds is also important to me and one reason, that I like Sonic Youth so much, is that they donīt have an album, that have creepy modern sounds.

ann ashtray 03.08.2010 12:49 AM

1) Sonic Nurse

2) ATL

3) NYCG+F

Would really like to see Jim O do some more production work with/for them in the future. I miss Jim.

:(

!@#$%! 03.08.2010 01:16 PM

the irish leprechaun era

i mean, whatshis

jim o'rourke

you may not have liked the wilco direction in which he influenced the music itself, but the recordings were fucking great.

DanielCarlson 03.08.2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
Would really like to see Jim O do some more production work with/for them in the future. I miss Jim.

:(

Yeah, totally. I miss Jim as well.

I think A Thousand Leaves, Murray Street and EVOL are the best produced ones. EVOL's production really fits the mood of the album.

Dirty is the worst produced.