Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Changing Musical Opinions (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32600)

Glice 07.02.2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I've seen them playing on an old tv programme a few years ago, way before the 'in the army'-era stuff, possibly in the late 60's, and they were VERY good.

Yeah - one for the 'unpopular opinions' thread really, but their psychedelic stuff is gashloads better than the Floyd (with/ without Barret)

sarramkrop 07.02.2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Yeah - one for the 'unpopular opinions' thread really, but their psychedelic stuff is gashloads better than the Floyd (with/ without Barret)

I like Barrett-ear Pink Floyd a lot, much less Barrett's solo records. On that tv thing Status Quo were like a more controlled version of them, like The Who in their prime if they were more psychedelic, so that's a good thing for me.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.02.2009 05:56 PM

these bastards literally changed my life. I have spent a good portion of the past five years since I first was introduced to the grateful dead magic wandering around coffee shops, blues clubs, and curbsides performing dead tunes and blues covers simply because of the one night when I first saw this film...

demonrail666 07.02.2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
one for the 'unpopular opinions' thread really, but [status quo's] psychedelic stuff is gashloads better than the Floyd (with/ without Barret)

I'm not a big fan of the really psychedelic, late 60s Quo. They always seemed a bit lost in the enthusiasm of the era on songs like this. for me it wasn't until a few years later, with 'Paper Plane' that they really became the bludgeoning monolith that we now know and (some of us) love.

In terms of the Pink floyd comparison, I much prefer Interstellar Overdrive over Pictures of Matchstick Men, but secretely prefer 'Paper Plane' to either.

Death & the Maiden 07.03.2009 01:32 AM

I'd always dismissed Pink Floyd as just some rubbish, commercial, boring, pretentious band (probably due to the influence of punk on me). But when I heard the main riff in Interstellar Overdrive, I changed my mind. I actually like some of their non-Barrett stuff, too, The Wall, A Saucerful of Secrets, Wish You Were Here, just not Dark Side.

dionysusundone 07.03.2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I used to love the Doors when I was 16. Now I couldn't care less for them.

Yeah that's pretty much my stand on them. I still enjoy the first record every once in a while, but really not much stood up to that one for me.

Newfoundland 07.04.2009 10:46 AM

For me Its been downhill after Murray Street. I want them to surprise me. I was actually surprised by Massage the History though. Great song.

Newfoundland 07.04.2009 10:48 AM

My opinions on YES is continually changing. I think they are both the most ridiculous band EVER, as well as thinking some of the early stuff was nice.

pbradley 07.04.2009 10:47 PM

I have a declining musical opinion of all artist(s) I listened to in the past.

The earlier I liked them, the less I am into them now.

It's a bell curve with usually a sudden rise and subtle fall.

Glice 07.05.2009 05:43 AM

You go careful with those bell curves. I have a friend who saw too many of them while studying psychology and he's now convinced that everything in life can be represented in a bell curve.

jimmy jazz 07.10.2009 05:59 PM

I'd written of NIN, thought Trent was a wanker and never thought I'd listen to them again ( i was a huge fan in the 90s) ... then Year Zero came out and I became obsessed with it, and then Ghosts sealed the deal... I love NIN more than ever. Now that Trent recognizes that there's a world outside of his naval they are a lot more intersting.

Death & the Maiden 07.11.2009 05:55 AM

Probably my biggest musical turn around was my opinion on metal. I used to hate it, but then I heard (early) Iron Maiden and changed my mind. Then I got obsessed with black metal, something I would've hated a few months before.

auto-aim 07.12.2009 05:52 AM

radioheads probably the main one for me... in that I used to be really, really, really into them and now couldn't really give a shit. not sure what it is but I just find them really boring now - perhaps the influence they had on british indie for a while creating shit band after shit band. Or maybe they were neer that exciting. And you know everybody goes on about them. In rainbows killed it off for me. though i quite liked HTTT at the time, more so than other people.. I don't know. I tend to find also, as other people have mentioned, that things I normally get really into I usual really hate the first time around.

Trasher02 07.12.2009 06:35 AM

I used to hate the horrors. Their latest album totally changed my mind about them.

Bertrand 07.12.2009 11:34 AM

I could not like Dead Kennedys and Midnight Oil after my first SY gig.

I used to like Supergrass a lot but the albums I know do not age too well. Not the songs, the sound.

A positive turn : Elvis Presley.
Every summer there would be something about him to commemorate his death and I did not like that. Phoney pictures with songs in them. Did not like him on the radio either.
Then I saw excerpts of his '68 comeback and I changed my mind. He had a great great voice and timing, as well as some pretty good songs.