Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Name an Album That Embodies Everything You Love About Music... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26503)

hat and bread 10.09.2008 01:04 AM

I wouldn't exactly say this is my favorite album, but it does capture a certain loose organic sound that I look for in all music.

Toilet & Bowels 10.09.2008 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by This Is Not Here

Bows- Blush

I've never met or spoken to anyone whos heard this record, which is a total pain, but to me it's like beauty incarnate. It's lushious string arrangements over seductive & sexy female and male vocals, mixed with breaks and beats. Its just an album that always makes me feel the world around me is beautiful and awe inspiring, which is what all art should do.

Awesome stuff - Bows is a side project of Luke Sutherland from scottish rock group Long Fin Killie, if anyone knows that well.

i've got that record, I bought it because it got quite a few good reviews, i thought it was pretty dull though.

blunderbuss 10.09.2008 05:32 AM

For its ecletic mix of styles - It's the one album I can think of that, for whatever reason I want to listen to music, there will be something on it that satifies that need:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

drrrtyboots 10.09.2008 10:33 PM

Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter III.

Decayed Rhapsody 10.09.2008 10:53 PM

Dead-Air 10.09.2008 11:52 PM

I can answer the "About You When You Were 14" question easily, that would be Led Zeppelin I which I bought used for a dollar at the comic book store I hung out in.

The actual thread subject has me stumped however. I don't think there is such a record. My favorite album, period, is Bad Moon Rising, but obviously there are many types of music I love that it doesn't touch on in the slightest. Ditto my second favorite album Atlantis by Sun Ra. Certainly the passion and originality that made those two albums possible is something I look for in all music, but they are both highly atonal in scope so how could I say they embody what I love about the early works of either Elliott Smith or the Cocteau Twins (or despite the connection SY have created for themselves, The Carpenters)?

Music too often gets mistaken for a language. It isn't one though. It's many different languages actually.

Dead-Air 10.10.2008 12:01 AM

You know what? As soon as I'd posted the above, I realized that the Velvet Underground & Nico is as close as it gets. It's got "European Son" and "Sunday Morning" on the same album, which does cover both extremes in absolute perfection. Of course it doesn't touch on what I love about Mutabaruka or Fela Kuti in the slightest, but it does come closest to embodying the whole range of my favorite music of any record likely to be out there.

alteredcourse 10.10.2008 01:06 AM

How is music many different languages?

fugazifan 10.10.2008 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat and bread
I wouldn't exactly say this is my favorite album, but it does capture a certain loose organic sound that I look for in all music.

thats a great album. waaay better than most ofthe other NNCK that ive heard

gmku 10.10.2008 07:31 AM

There's probably no one album that embodies everything I love about music. But these three come close:

Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St., and Safe as Milk

_slavo_ 10.10.2008 07:33 AM

Bowery Electric - Beat

To me, this is just a perfect record. It's got all that I truly love about music ... shoegaze guitars, ambient soundscapes, lush vocals, hypnotic blurred atmospheres, beats ... I can't precisely explain how much I love this album.

al shabbray 10.10.2008 07:34 AM

^^^that sounds great!

Pookie 10.10.2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
... shoegaze guitars, ambient soundscapes, lush vocals, hypnotic blurred atmospheres, beats...

If there is a hell, and if that's where I'm going, this would be the soundtrack.

_slavo_ 10.10.2008 07:50 AM

to each his own i guess.
mine would include Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

EVOLghost 10.10.2008 09:59 AM

ONe album? not possible. NIRVANA's In Utero is one of my favorite albums...along with Daydram Nation and Kill Yr Idols/Confusino is Sex. After that....hmm..I'd probably say.............................I don't know.

Oh RADIOHEAD's Ok Computer and Pearl Jam's No Code.

pantophobia 10.10.2008 10:04 AM

this thread has stumped me for days, it's such a hard collection to have an all encompassing answer, anything from Half Japanese, Sleater-Kinney, Helium, SY just makes it frustrating

then again why have i been spending this much time devoted to thinking of this in the first place

pedestrian 10.10.2008 10:04 AM

Owls. self-titled from 2001. A flawless album. If you haven't heard it please check it out.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 10.10.2008 10:07 AM

If I knew of such an album I would never listen to anything else.

phoenix 10.11.2008 06:54 AM

weirdly, its phoenix - Its Never Been Like That

for no other reason, than it really is the only kind of music that makes me do the skippy happy dance moves while I'm walking, no matter what mood I might be in before it comes on the ipod.

funny what music can do to ya.

Trasher02 10.11.2008 07:22 AM

This one's too tough for me...