Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Movie Soundtrack Albums (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=25052)

demonrail666 09.02.2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Also, has anyone mentioned FORBIDDEN ZONE yet? Great soundtrack!

God, I know we're talking about soundtracks here, but I watched Forbidden Zone with a friend who loved it. What a long 90 minutes that was. Shockingly boring.

A far better Forbidden in my opinion, both as a film, and for its soundtrack:

noisereductions 09.02.2008 01:15 PM

TEXAS CHAINSAW was on vinyl. Yes.

Another favorite of mine is Les Baxter's spaghetti western funk for HELL'S BELLES. So great.

atsonicpark 09.02.2008 02:28 PM

Haha... Forbidden Zone BORING? I can see you maybe not getting into it or not liking it, but ... boring? Wow.

atsonicpark 09.02.2008 02:33 PM

Anyway, here's a really obvious one that no one's mentioned yet:

noisereductions 09.02.2008 02:47 PM

wow. good call atsonic... havent thought about that since high school!

demonrail666 09.02.2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Haha... Forbidden Zone BORING? I can see you maybe not getting into it or not liking it, but ... boring? Wow.

Well yeah, I mean it isn't boring in the way that some other films are, just one that I really couldn't wait to end, and just got bored silly waiting for it to.

atari 2600 09.02.2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
wow. good call atsonic... havent thought about that since high school!

Wow, sluuurp
mentioned it the other day in films ahead of their time as an honorable mention that didn't make the list

blah blah blah bleet blah

king_buzzo 09.02.2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
God, I know we're talking about soundtracks here, but I watched Forbidden Zone with a friend who loved it. What a long 90 minutes that was. Shockingly boring.

A far better Forbidden in my opinion, both as a film, and for its soundtrack:

haha forbidden planet is the shit.

Savage Clone 09.02.2008 05:03 PM

Forbidden Planet OST is amazing.
Some other favorites:
Logan's Run
Saragossa Manuscript (WHOA, is this good; this piece of vinyl is one of the jewels of my collection)
The Shining
The Fog has some cool parts
Rosemary's Baby

Some more will spring to mind later I'm sure; being at work isn't helping me think too well.

demonrail666 09.02.2008 05:30 PM

I love the way that, really and truly, the Forbidden Planet soundtrack is nothing more than a series of sound effects. It's like one of those BBC Radiophionic Workshop albums. One of the greatest things to fall asleep to.

Another good sci-fi one I think:

DeadDiscoDildo 09.02.2008 05:36 PM

The Beatlejuice soundtrack was fucking awesome, gotta love those Harry Belafonte songs. Also StarWars obviously, but goddamn hot damn is it still so moving.

Royal Tennanbaums
Life Aquatic
Yellow Submarine
& Batman Returns are my other choices!

Savage Clone 09.02.2008 05:36 PM

Lucifer Rising - Bobby Beausoleil

DeadDiscoDildo 09.02.2008 05:36 PM

Also The Dark Knight was very good too, it cut out in the right parts just like in No Country For Old Men.

atsonicpark 09.03.2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone

Yes!

You probably know this, but Jimmy Page originally did the music for this. I can't imagine his being any better than Bobby's...

Norma J 09.03.2008 02:45 AM

the Proposition is great. I want the Jesse James soundtrack too.

Cantankerous 09.03.2008 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone

this.

fugazifan 09.03.2008 02:48 AM

serge gainsbourg-canabis
any morricone- but honorable mentions go out to the dollars trilogy, sicilian clan, and many more that i have yet to hear.
julieta delnspiriti, and almost any nino rota OST
the wicker man
the 3rd man
brazil
from russia with love
superfly
and many more....

noisereductions 09.03.2008 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Royal Tennanbaums
Life Aquatic

...or anything by Mothersbaugh for that matter!

MellySingsDoom 09.03.2008 07:36 AM

The soundtrack to "Eraserhead" is simply incredible - Alan Splet and David Lynch did an amazing job on that.

Agree also with the choices for "Dead Ringers" and "Superfly". "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is simply peerless. Kenneth's Anger's films always have great soundtracks - he pretty much invented the concept of a "pop" soundtrack with "Scorpio Rising". To my eternal embarrassment, I actually managed to fall asleep during a screening of "Lucifer Rising" (at the end of a non-stop Anger retrospective in Hoxton). Must check that film out again as soon as possible.

I recall the soundtrack to "Tetsuo I" as being pretty phenomenal too.

Savage Clone 09.03.2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Yes!

You probably know this, but Jimmy Page originally did the music for this. I can't imagine his being any better than Bobby's...

It's not. I've heard it. Still pretty cool though; there's a copy of it at my work, but I can't afford it.