Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Songs you hate on an album you love. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15169)

pbradley 08.01.2007 03:58 PM

I also hate Hare Krsna on Zen Arcade.

I always thought Nothing Much To Lose would be a better starting track than Soft As Snow (But Warm Inside) but that's also because I hate Soft As Snow (But Warm Inside) as previously mentioned.

GrungeMonkey 08.02.2007 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Also, it's funny that all the "bad sonic youth songs" are kim songs... :)

She does tend to have a few awful songs every now and then... But we love her anyway.

"High Five (Rock The Catskills)" on Odelay... Never really thought it was all that good compared with the rest of the album...

"Half" on soundgarden's superunknown...

ZEROpumpkins 08.02.2007 06:46 AM

On Odelay i'd say Readymade. It's crackly with earphones.

Torn Curtain 08.02.2007 12:03 PM

My Brightest Diamond - Freak out (on Bring me the workhorse)
Blonde Redhead - In particular (on Melody of damaged lemons)
Radiohead - The national anthem & In limbo (on Kid A), Pluk/pull revolving doors & Dollars and cents (on Amnesiac)
Smashing Pumpkins - Jellybelly, Thirty-three, Tales of a scorched earth (on Mellon Collie)
PJ Harvey - Good fortune (on Stories from the city Stories from the sea)
The Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer & Octopus's garden (Abbey road), Ob-la-di Ob-la-da & Don't pass me by (on the White album)
The Cure - Primary & Doubt (on Faith)

GrungeMonkey 08.03.2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
On Odelay i'd say Readymade. It's crackly with earphones.

I quite like Readymade. Its kind of awkward in a good way... Isn't it supposed to be crackly? Beck tends to put these kind of old vinyl sounding effects on some tracks... Of course, you are entitled to your opinion ;)

ZEROpumpkins 08.03.2007 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
I quite like Readymade. Its kind of awkward in a good way... Isn't it supposed to be crackly? Beck tends to put these kind of old vinyl sounding effects on some tracks... Of course, you are entitled to your opinion ;)

Yeah it's supposed to be crackly, but it's just annoying with earphones on. It's not like a warm fire kinda crackle, but it's like an annoying click. It's not really a bad song though. Thankyou for respecting my opinion, :D.

fugazifan 08.03.2007 08:10 AM

i love total trash. one of my top songs on DDN.
even though i like to play it i have never been much of a fan of jesus and tequila on the minutemen's DNOTD
and i like the last 13 songs off pop tatari better than the first three... and i would wish that eye would make less noise in between tracks, i love what he does, but all the pause between tracks really throws off the flow of the whole album

atsonicpark 08.03.2007 12:39 PM

weird that you don't like song 3 on pop tatari. that's when the album starts getting great! the first song on that album made my dog bark.

LittlePuppetBoy 08.03.2007 01:25 PM

Isolation by Joy Division (the production Values don't fit at all with anything else on the album)

fugazifan 08.03.2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

weird that you don't like song 3 on pop tatari. that's when the album starts getting great! the first song on that album made my dog bark.

then maybe i meant just song 1&2, i havent heard it in a while.
and i cant beleive two people have already said isolation. thats one of my favorites. its a classic

Savage Clone 08.03.2007 07:21 PM

Negativland - "Car Bomb" on Escape From Noise, which was otherwise quite a revelation for me when it came out.

atsonicpark 08.03.2007 07:52 PM

Yeah.. Isolation is probably the best song on that album, and if you didn't notice, ALL the songs are produced differently... I remember in a Joy Division fan webpage (maybe even a faq), hundreds of Joy Division fans were polled, and that was the second-highest-rated Joy Divison song ever (next to Love Will Tear Us Apart). Hmph.

Torn Curtain 08.04.2007 05:15 AM

Quote:

YI remember in a Joy Division fan webpage (maybe even a faq), hundreds of Joy Division fans were polled, and that was the second-highest-rated Joy Divison song ever (next to Love Will Tear Us Apart). Hmph.

Love will tear us apart is far from the best Joy Division song.

Pookie 08.04.2007 06:15 AM

It's Oh So Quiet from Post.

king_buzzo 08.04.2007 06:41 AM

mbv's no more sorry off isn't anything... its just bloody annoying.
sy's hotwire my heart off sister (its an okay cover but it just doesnt fit with the album) and also tunic off goo...
ann off the stooges first album

Pookie 08.04.2007 06:46 AM

The Model on Songs About Fucking

Massassinated 08.04.2007 07:39 AM

I regard Tago Mago as an absolute masterpiece, but I'm not too keen on Augmn. Can't say I "hate" it, though.

Oh, and All we ever wish on Time of Orchid's Sarcast while

atsonicpark 08.04.2007 07:52 AM

Well, I didn't say love will tear us apart is one of the best joy divison songs. I just find it funny that all the really big Joy Division fans -- big enough to post on an internet poll about their favorite song -- rate Isolation really high. It's funny. Also, the Model is amazing (as is all of songs about fucking; and really, that's one of the best covers ever). Also, why so much isn't anything hate? That record is so unbelievably perfect from beginning to end. Jesus!

Torn Curtain 08.04.2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Well, I didn't say love will tear us apart is one of the best joy divison songs.

I know, I'm just surprised that fans may pick it as their fave (have they never heard Atmosphere, Shadowplay, 24 hours, New dawn fades, and so on... ?).

atsonicpark 08.04.2007 08:30 AM

true.

new dawn fades is, in my mind, the king of joy division songs .