Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A Collective Musical Manifesto (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11940)

Rob Instigator 04.05.2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
How come whenever I post a thread dies?

cuz you are posting in sweden time! everyone is asleep!

Rob Instigator 04.05.2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Also, if your band has any little gimmick, no matter what it is, don't expect that to fill in the gaps of your lackluster music. Gimmicks are needless anyways, but even with them, you still have to write a good song. (see: Drums & Tuba)

what's wrong with drums & Tuba?
guitar drums and tuiba. I have sene them play 4 times, first about 6 years ago. it was a fucking great show. the tuba does not just play the bass line, and either way the tuba is the BASS of the brass you know.
They opened up for Daniel Jophnston a few years back and it was fucking GREAT.
they do much more than just play tuba instead of bass.

Rob Instigator 04.05.2007 09:53 AM

and if you do not think weird al can be funny, watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw

afterthefact 04.05.2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what's wrong with drums & Tuba?
guitar drums and tuiba. I have sene them play 4 times, first about 6 years ago. it was a fucking great show. the tuba does not just play the bass line, and either way the tuba is the BASS of the brass you know.
They opened up for Daniel Jophnston a few years back and it was fucking GREAT.
they do much more than just play tuba instead of bass.

Well I don't like them :) I don't know, maybe if I saw them live it would be different, but I bought one of their albums because I had heard about them and didn't know what else to buy, and I was greatly disappointed...

Rob Instigator 04.05.2007 10:13 AM

I understand. their live shows are much better than their albums.

afterthefact 04.05.2007 10:19 AM

It may have been that on the day I bought it I was sullen and and was raining outside, and it may just have not fit my mood. Let me give it a listen again and I'll let you know how that goes :)

Florya 04.05.2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
I actually had a dream about an instrument and now I want to build it. I drew it out after I had the dream, just to see if it could actually work, and it looks like it could...

Careful now - you're getting dangerously close to being 'experimental'

LittlePuppetBoy 04.05.2007 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I hope to god this is sarcasm.
I swear I can feel IQ points leaving my brain when I hear cowbell in a rock song.

What about drum and bass bands? Some of they stuff they do with cowbells are sweet!

Savage Clone 04.05.2007 03:02 PM

Cowbells are for cows. Period.

Norma J 04.05.2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Horns in rock are like moustaches on guys: yes, on rare occasions it can be pulled off successfully or even awesomely by a very few people, but the best rule of thumb is general avoidance.

hahah. I guess you're right there. But then I can pull a moustache off. So I'm going for brass in my band.

Rob Instigator 04.05.2007 05:00 PM

Morphie was rock (LOW ROCK by their own definition) and they were slide bass, drums, and a guy who played two saxophones at the same time a la Roland Kirk and it is FUCKING AMAZING and he plays the sax lke a guitar by his own admission, feedback squals, fucking awesome.

afterthefact 04.05.2007 05:07 PM

^True that. Morphine was great.

Savage Clone 04.05.2007 05:23 PM

I never liked Morphine.
I do love some Roland Kirk though.

MellySingsDoom 04.05.2007 05:27 PM

There's an early 80's LP by a band called Yasi Wada, who made a pipe organ out of cow's lungs. Sounds pretty good, too.

Glice 04.07.2007 10:08 AM

Quote:

I never liked Morphine.
I do love some Roland Kirk though.

"We've been smoking a bit before we came out... to be honest, I was totally blind when I came out..."

Love the Kirk. Love love love love love.

Toilet & Bowels 04.09.2007 07:28 PM

i don't know. it depends if you mean for creating or listening. make up some rules and then forget about them and ignore whatever anybody else tells you.