Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Only 3 bands exist (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10691)

Silent Dan Speaks 02.21.2007 03:41 PM

Radiohead
The Beatles
Bob Dylan

I hate to leave out sonic youth, but I've liked Radiohead longer and I feel the beatles have a lot of diversity and Bob Dylan just plain rules.

king_buzzo 02.21.2007 03:42 PM

dinosaur jr
My bloody valentine
sonic youth

fugazifan 02.21.2007 03:50 PM

sy
john coltrane, simply because i could never get sickk of him. there is always something new to find in his music.
and then maybe bob dylan

Torn Curtain 02.21.2007 04:10 PM

Tim Buckley
The Cure
Radiohead

foxforce5 02.21.2007 05:11 PM

London Symphony Orchestra
Bjork
Tom Waits

sun city girl 02.21.2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
nothing is wrong with them. i enjoy what they do thorughroughly, but out of the whole spectrum of bands that exist or have existed, to pick them as one of "only" three is just silly to me.

ok then, don't pick them if you think it's silly.

Florya 02.21.2007 07:53 PM

Aparft from SY, my 3 would be:

Throbbing Gristle - genius
Einstuerzende Neubauten - genius
Explosions in the Sky - uplifting

Brett Robinson 02.21.2007 09:13 PM

NIRVANA
SWANS
Radioactive Prostitute

davenotdead 02.21.2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

nothing is wrong with them. i enjoy what they do thorughroughly, but out of the whole spectrum of bands that exist or have existed, to pick them as one of "only" three is just silly to me.

well Im not sure what everyone else is doing picking them...but I have an unholy obsession with them, so of course I got to....and it sucks that I can't have panda's solo stuff with that...i would hate to go without MBV or SY or VU or the Beatles or Captain Beefheart...but I think I would die if I didn't hear Jimi Hendrix's guitar every so often....and Isaac Brock's voice....damn...am I really picking Hendrix and MM now? this topic sucks...

nature scene 02.21.2007 10:30 PM

beatles
sonic youth - it seemed like the cool thing to do
animal collective (suck it Rob)

Dead-Air 02.22.2007 01:28 AM

Sonic Youth
Sun Ra & the Arkestra
then I'd say John Cage, but if I have to literally pick a "band", then I'd say Legendary Pink Dots

Rob Instigator 02.22.2007 09:59 AM

indie kids taking offense at a perceived slight to one of their bands. I LOVE IT! The future is STATIC! It's already had it!

this is indeed a hard question.

sonicl 02.22.2007 10:05 AM

I'm dismayed at the lack of variety in the music that some people are going to listen to once they're only allowed three bands. Some of you might as well have the same band three times over.

foxforce5 02.22.2007 11:03 PM

Dismayed, eh? I'm picturing you chain smoking, stuttering to yourself, stand up, sit down, tremble.

nature scene 02.22.2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

indie kids taking offense at a perceived slight to one of their bands. I LOVE IT! The future is STATIC! It's already had it!

this is indeed a hard question.

haha, i don't think anyone has ever called me an indie kid! i didn't mean it like that, just messing around. i don't care that you think it's silly i like them. they're a pretty silly band, and i'm a pretty silly person.

I just wanted to start an internet war.

Although, if you haven't seen them live... you should. it's pretty interesting. they mostly play upcoming material, rather than playing than stuff that's already been recorded.

touch me i'm sick 02.22.2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
1. Sonic Youth
2. Pixies
3. My Bloody Valentine

spot on

GrungeMonkey 02.23.2007 08:03 AM

Sonic Youth
Dinosaur Jr
Stephen Malkmus' Solo Stuff

sonicl 02.23.2007 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxforce5
Dismayed, eh? I'm picturing you chain smoking, stuttering to yourself, stand up, sit down, tremble.

You got that dead right, except the chain smoking. I've been pacing the room quite a lot too.

foxforce5 02.23.2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
You got that dead right, except the chain smoking. I've been pacing the room quite a lot too.

You just can't remember the chain smoking, anxiety has strafed your memory, although you wonder briefly why you're twirling a lighter, and why there are pounding and groans coming from the closet. Only briefly, though. Three bands to select entail deperate times; focus. No weakness now.

sonicl 02.23.2007 08:41 AM

I did my focussing a few days ago, and came up with Sonic Youth, Cowboy Junkies and Girls Aloud. I'm now revelling in the opportunity to be totally unfocussed.