Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Great Bands Let Down by Asshole Members? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=10802)

Magic Wheel Memory 02.26.2007 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
It takes balls to believe what yr saying.

Or an insecure, pretentious bravado.

sonicl 02.26.2007 08:17 AM

The Ramones - Johnny Ramone. Dee Dee too, to an extent, but nowhere near as much as Johnny.

krastian 02.27.2007 12:40 AM

Pantera-Phil

terminal pharmacy 02.27.2007 01:15 AM

i met rollins 3 times and everytime he was a really lovely guy.

No Star 02.27.2007 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
Steve Shelley is such an asshole, he's the reason Sonic Youth lost all their gear in '99. You see, steve, knowing that a drumset is easy to replace but pricelessly modified guitar and effects are not so much so, gave the location of the band's gear trailer to a bunch of cowboys. Such a jerk.

he told them how to steal the bands gear? crazy! its nice to know, but is it 100% true, shelly seems like the collest of guys, i know he helpeddaniel johnston out when he lost it once (Of many)

xo

demonrail666 02.27.2007 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
Or an insecure, pretentious bravado.

I love you. Have my children.

ricechex 02.27.2007 08:53 AM

Kevin Shields brother, I think, is Jimmy Shields. Talk about a dirty look and bad fuckin attitude. Years back i was at A Rollerskate Skinny show, which was fantastic, admittedly, but as he was walking away after playing, i said something like hey great set and he looked at me with the weirdest snobby smirk, and walked away. Said nothing. I was frozen in place. it was the type of look that told u everything about him was asshole! The more i think about it he was ready to leave the band around that time and maybe he didn't like the praise Rollerskate received. Their next album was better w/o him anyways. and his brother is way more talented..haha!..

by the way, i ended up chatting with the lead Rollerskate singer for a good 15 minutes. Really nice very cordial.

finding nobody 02.27.2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
The Ramones - Johnny Ramone. Dee Dee too, to an extent, but nowhere near as much as Johnny.

I always read how Johnny was into very conservative politics and Joey was into Liberal stuff. pretty funny

sonicl 02.27.2007 10:10 AM

Johnny pretty much ran The Ramones as boot camp. The personalities in the band probably made that a necessity, especially with Joey and his OCD, but I get the definite impression that Johnny enjoyed his role as sargeant-major a bit more than was strictly necessary.

EyeballGrowth 02.27.2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia
a few:

obvious one: Billy Corgan (careerist, egosentric, envious) but still a good song writer, not a good lyricist in the least, infact wrote some of the worst shit ever

Amen. He may be talented, but he is an ass

2 more that come to mind are Pink Floyd and Jane's Addiction, both bands still have members that are incredibly talented, but feuding over incidents that happened decades ago, which is why Jane's broke up and Pink Floyd won't get back together for more than a day, except to play live 8 because they don't have to talk to one another while they are playing.

HaydenAsche 02.27.2007 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Scissor Shock - adam cooley

Adam Cooley is an assclown, not an asshole.

narlus 02.28.2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
same thing heppened with me and john zorn. i was at a show of his and went outside to smoke. it was rainey so i leaned against the door to light up, i then turn around and see a guy with a sweatshirt with hebrew letters, army pants ans tzitzit (a jewish prayer shawl thingy) waiting inback of me, giving me a dirty look. i moved but then when he went inside i looked at him again and was like "shit! that was john zorn!"
i dont think he likes me, plus he was sick that night...

you probably gave him emphysema w/ yr 2nd hand smoke.

narlus 02.28.2007 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
The biggest asshole in Black Flag was Greg Ginn.

corroborated by anyone who was ever owed royalties by SST.

LittlePuppetBoy 02.28.2007 08:32 PM

Billy Corgan-Smashing Pumpkins (big DUH)

atari 2600 02.28.2007 08:44 PM

great boards let down by asshole members

John Violence 02.28.2007 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
The biggest asshole in Black Flag was Greg Ginn.

Agreed. He dropped Black Flag and he sank SST all within a few years.

MellySingsDoom 04.01.2007 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Who are those bands you really like but can't stand one of two of their members?

How about...

Pussy Galore - Jon Spencer.
Black Flag - Henry Rollins.

Professor Hank the Wank should do a duet with Elton John. It'd be tha shizzle.

Not a band, but I nominate Charles Gayle - since I found out about his ranting homophobia, he can go fuck himself in both ears.