Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   NR Essentials #17: Pavement - Slanted And Enchanted (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=33914)

Jeremy 08.26.2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry swedgin
Honourable mention must go to Pavement's "And Then", b-side to Carrot Rope. I think "And Then" became The Hexx - the reason I say this is because I have a tape of a London gig from the Brighten Tour and the band called "And Then"..."The Hexx". Very Pavement I have always thought! Anyways I love SM's vocal delivery and the melody of the song. Here's a version:

http://rapidshare.com/files/27189134...Hexx_.m4a.html

Yeah, I have several live shows from 97 and they played "And Then" at all of them, crazy how it wasn't on the record. Even weirder, they announce it as "The Hexx" a few times, so the "And Then" title didn't stay very long.

They also play Westie Can Drum on practically every 97 show I have... It was probably pretty close to being on the album.

~Jeremy~

noisereductions 08.26.2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry swedgin
Honourable mention must go to Pavement's "And Then", b-side to Carrot Rope. I think "And Then" became The Hexx - the reason I say this is because I have a tape of a London gig from the Brighten Tour and the band called "And Then"..."The Hexx". Very Pavement I have always thought! Anyways I love SM's vocal delivery and the melody of the song. Here's a version:

http://rapidshare.com/files/27189134...Hexx_.m4a.html

if you look on the back of TT, between the last two songs it's says "And Then..." "The Hexx"

greedrex 08.26.2009 07:14 PM

^^ yes
love this song. very pure sounding.

noisereductions 08.26.2009 07:14 PM

I always thought (and maybe read somewhere?) that SY was inspired by Pavement when they recorded JET SET. Which is like a snake eating its tail, since Pave obviously had to be inspired by SY (they covered EXPRESSWAY live and dedicated "In The Mouth" to SY live).

noisereductions 08.26.2009 07:17 PM

Anywaay, back to TT... I think that the guitar parts on "You Are A Light" are up there with "Grounded" or any other transcendent Pavement Guitar track.

pinkstation 08.26.2009 08:09 PM

i like "you are the light" and "cream of gold"

LOVE GROUNDED TOO

and while we are talking about pavement gutiar tracks,
"half a canyon"
and
"rattled by the rush"
kick sooo much ass

and pretty much everything on crcr

barry swedgin 08.27.2009 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
if you look on the back of TT, between the last two songs it's says "And Then..." "The Hexx"

I always thought that was a great touch. What a great band. I can't wait to see them live when they reform......it's bound to happen, eventually.

loubarret 08.27.2009 06:34 AM

I must be one of the two hunderd people that love Terror Twilight.

People I know it's a bit smooth but please give it another spin

noisereductions 08.27.2009 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loubarret
I must be one of the two hunderd people that love Terror Twilight.

People I know it's a bit smooth but please give it another spin

Love it.

loubarret 08.27.2009 07:11 AM

198 to go :P

narlus 08.27.2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Dead-Air ?

what's 'dead-air'?

noisereductions 08.27.2009 09:35 AM

another poster on here. I was making a joke.

pinkstation 08.27.2009 07:54 PM

"old intuition, on your dock we're fishin"

Pax Americana 08.27.2009 08:09 PM

Slanted remains my favorite Pavement record followed closely by Wowee Zowee. The Luxe/Reduxe reissue is so fucking good too. I've always thought that a band who's b-sides are just as good and sometimes better than their album tracks is really worth something. Love Pavement.

pinkstation 08.27.2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pax Americana
Slanted remains my favorite Pavement record followed closely by Wowee Zowee. The Luxe/Reduxe reissue is so fucking good too. I've always thought that a band who's b-sides are just as good and sometimes better than their album tracks is really worth something. Love Pavement.

Dude espessial their early stuff! There are SO many songs that I wish they had decided to put on Slanted instead of "Chelsea's Little Wrists"

noisereductions 08.27.2009 08:16 PM

woah! "Chelsea's Little Wrists" is fantastic!

TheDom 08.27.2009 08:41 PM

I think that is all that needs to be said.

noisereductions 08.27.2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom

I think that is all that needs to be said.

Agreed! I used to have that shirt! I wonder what happneed to it.

dressedindreams 08.28.2009 03:41 AM

ill be terror twilight fan #3. i prefer it to brighten the corners.
there i said it.

atsonicpark 08.28.2009 03:55 AM

I have that shirt!

Great band. Terror Twilight is boring.