Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Musicians that turn you off just because every generic hipster loves them (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8033)

HaydenAsche 11.15.2006 06:08 PM

Can't you just bring me some pills, cunt?

Glice 11.15.2006 06:40 PM

Can I just say that I dislike nearly everything that Hayden likes? Thanks. I feel warm and comfortable now.

Step Father Christmas 11.15.2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Can't you just bring me some pills, cunt?

No need for that,honeypot.I'd rather feed you live maggots and excreta to placate the insatiable anger that seems to motivate your rife posts.

HaydenAsche 11.15.2006 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step Father Christmas
No need for that,honeypot.I'd rather feed you live maggots and excreta to placate the insatiable anger that seems to motivate your rife posts.

You're a bad Santa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Can I just say that I dislike nearly everything that Hayden likes? Thanks. I feel warm and comfortable now.

It's only because I'm a hipster and you hate hipster music.

EyeballGrowth 11.15.2006 10:29 PM

Yeah Yeah Yeah's

The White Stripes

Bloc Party - also because the guy sings horribly

Cat Power

Modest Mouse - even though their early stuff rocks

Death Cab for Cutie - but they also just flat out suck

The 97th Hammer 11.16.2006 01:26 AM

Conor Oberst is the reason I listen to noise. Only harsh PE contains noise with frequencies high enough to block out the whine. Now I just have to dread the day when someone makes a noise album entirely from bright eyes samples.

atari 2600 11.16.2006 07:35 AM

Bright Eyes is goofy, just plain goofy. Just when you thought you could get past some of the more annoying vocal mannerisms of Jeff Mangum in Neutral Milk Hotel and enjoy it for the music, some joker like Conor comes along to throw his wreck into the dreck vocal arena.

Shame on me. From before, I forgot two big "townie" bands that bar owners love to play:
Namely, Grand Funk Railroad and Cheap Trick. Neither are the worst band in the world, but both are still skin crawl-inducing.

atari 2600 11.16.2006 07:46 AM

Although, good music should not be avoided because it is un-hip and it shouldn't be knee-jerk dismissed either just because it is hip. Great music goes beyond any of these considerations, because music is key in defining a zeitgeist, and therefore, its relative importance or unimportance should not be subject to the vicissitudes of day-to-day attitudes and opinions.

EyeballGrowth 11.16.2006 09:13 PM

One thing that sucks horribly about the indie scene of the past 6 years is vocals. All the new alternative independent bands of this decade HAVE to sing with that STUPID goddamn skin crawling annoying style so all the Emo kids will listen to them. I hear so many bands that are so talented but the singer just makes them so unbearable

alteredcourse 11.17.2006 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Cat Power really isn't that popular in the states either. She's just as popular if not less than Sonic Youth. alteredcourse is just a tasteless cunt.

haha, aww , you read my post .

_slavo_ 11.17.2006 05:28 AM

I've got some of the examples:

Wolf Eyes
Hair Police
Yellow Swans
and all of this american crappy noise.

hell, if you want noise, get the real thing and go for japanese output.

sonicl 11.17.2006 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

Wolf Eyes
Hair Police
Yellow Swans

Oh bollocks, it's only five minutes since I last repped you.

Toilet & Bowels 11.17.2006 09:59 AM

wolf eyes are an excellent live band, that's why they are so popular, they know how to (as our american friend Savage Clone might say) "rock da partay". forget about wolf eyes records though.

atari 2600 11.17.2006 10:57 AM

Cracked Magazine's
The Five Most Unintentionally Funny Albums of 2006
a fairly humorous article with embedded YouTube vids
1. Inhuman Rampage by Dragon Force

2. The Life Pursuit by Belle and Sebastian
3. Jibbs Feat Jibbs by Jibbs
4. Amputechture by Mars Volta
5. The Black Parade by My Chemical Romance
http://www.cracked.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 1285

Glice 11.18.2006 09:23 AM

I really like three of those albums, which probably says a lot about my penchant for the absurd. I'm not sure why the reviewer fails to point out that DragonForce are enjoyable because of the absurdity.

Trasher02 11.18.2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

Wolf Eyes
Hair Police
Yellow Swans

lol you're stupid.

choc e-Claire 05.05.2019 11:55 PM

I have, for reasons I'm not entirely convinced on myself, refused to listen to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea even in the knowledge that it should be right up my alley.

Kuhb 05.06.2019 12:38 AM

I was like this with The Drones for wayyy too long. Despite being a band loved by the worst kind of flannelette-clad bourgeois inner city share house hipsters, they're fucking brilliant.

ilduclo 05.06.2019 08:40 AM

Claypool, the followers are all frat boys, at least the couple times I bothered seeing him

Antagon 05.06.2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
I have, for reasons I'm not entirely convinced on myself, refused to listen to In the Aeroplane Over the Sea even in the knowledge that it should be right up my alley.

All the memery, the hipster-cred and the (imo) terrible band name kept me from listening to it for a long time. When I got around to it, I loved it though. Do yourself a favor and just give it a shot. I know, all the fuss about it really is annoying. But I think it's a lovely, very emotive album. And you know, worst thing that could happen is you don't like it and move on with your life.