Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

gmku 03.05.2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
well that's the right attitude, who wants to hear music like that when you could acquire every single pressing of whatever mor rolling stones record you've been playing for 40 years, i hope hearing the swiss press of sticky fingers is worth ignoring interesting music for.

Well, if you're talking about me, I don't do that. I have nothing against "interesting music" and I certainly don't ignore new music or other things I haven't heard before. My point is that that kind of Celtic music and Indian whatever grates badly on my nerves.

stu666 03.05.2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfeatencake
meeeeh still waiting for mine. ordered it in january :/

you can have one of my stickers (if I get two). maybe they forgot to post it...

hipster_bebop_junkie 03.05.2012 10:39 PM

I received my copy of the Big Nils tape maybe a week ago. I also ordered in January, right when it went on sale. I seem to remember there was an announcement that the shipping got delayed for some reason, so it's reasonable that you haven't gotten yours, halfeatencake. Or at least that's what I think, I hope you get it soon. Mine didn't include any stickers, but I got a nice little note from Big Nils. Unfortunately, there are some shenanigans on my cassette, it sounds badly in some spots. Hope you all who ordered get flawless copies.

gmku 03.08.2012 05:57 PM

Spiritualized ~ Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space

Plain Recordings label 2xLP repressing

Nice

gmku 03.08.2012 07:13 PM

Anybody know what the B P after the album title on the cover means?

FWIW, and for anyone who cares, I'm really enjoying my new album buying bent these days. I decided to try swearing off anything pre-1980 (more or less) and especially pre-1970, and to just try discovering some "new" things from the 80s, 90s, and beyond. Today it was very hard to resist pulling down the original pressing copies by the Zombies, Them, and some others on the "special" wall of my favorite record store. Instead, I dug into the new vinyl bins and pulled out Ladies and Gentlemen... .

Going back next week for some Birthday Party.

I got into a real 60s, 70s, and old jazz rut last year. This is nice and fresh.

gmku 03.08.2012 07:49 PM

Spiritualized. All right! Damned good.

And you know, I really think the Plain Recordings label does a very nice job of reissuing this stuff. Their niche seems to be late 80s to late 90s stuff in the shoegaze/noise category, mostly. I have their reiusses of several JAMC LPs and MBV, and this, and I've noticed their reissue of Mazzy Star and Hole in the stores. Your 19 bucks or so for these LPs is money well spent. Their job with Loveless and Isn't Anything is beyond superb.

gmku 03.08.2012 07:55 PM

Come on.

Somebody talk to me,

God

damn

it!

Severian 03.08.2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Come on.

Somebody talk to me,

God

damn

it!

I will talk to you about Spiritualized any time you want. They're pretty much my favorite band. Definitely my favorite at the moment.

I'm glad you're enjoying the reissue of Ladies... It is an incredible album, though I'm not sure it's actually the best of the bunch. It is a fantastic introduction, however. I envy anyone who gets to hear it for the first time.

I am seeing them on their north American tour, and I'm absolutely stoked. Already planning which substances I'm going to consume at which points in the evening, and hopefully a blissful peak will be reached by the encore.

I must make a note to order the reissue myself, as I have not done so yet.

hipster_bebop_junkie 03.08.2012 08:16 PM

Actually, Plain Recordings doesn't always do such a great job with reissues as you mention, gmku. They are well known for screwing things up and releasing vinyl originated from questionable sources like .MP3s even. Glad your Spiritualized and My Bloody Valentine records do sound good, though. I've read positive comments about their recent Low releases, so that's good news to me, too. However, some other people (like Primus fans, for instance) have been truly fucked, so it's always reasonable to be skeptical of anything they put out as they often times do have weird standards.

gmku 03.08.2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Actually, Plain Recordings doesn't always do such a great job with reissues as you mention. They are well known for screwing things up and releasing vinyl originated from questionable sources like .MP3s even. Glad your Spiritualized records do sound good. I've read positive comments of their recent Low releases, so that's good news to me, too. However, some other people (like Primus fans, for instance) have been truly fucked, so it's always reasonable to be skeptical of anything they put out as they often times do have weird standards.

I have a pretty good stereo, with a mid-80s Yamaha A-1020 int amp driving my JVC QL turntable. Even so, I can't claim to be the most critical audiophile out here when it comes to discerning recording quality. All I know is it sounds very good to my ears.

I haven't noticed anything fucked about anything I have from them so far. And as someone for whom LP packaging is a big deal, I think they do a superb job.

So what is the best of the bunch from Spiritualized?

gmku 03.08.2012 08:29 PM

Murmer99 03.08.2012 09:40 PM

hipster_bebop_junkie 03.08.2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

I have a pretty good stereo, with a mid-80s Yamaha A-1020 int amp driving my JVC QL turntable. Even so, I can't claim to be the most critical audiophile out here when it comes to discerning recording quality. All I know is it sounds very good to my ears.

I haven't noticed anything fucked about anything I have from them so far. And as someone for whom LP packaging is a big deal, I think they do a superb job.

As a said before, there are exceptions.

gmku 03.08.2012 10:36 PM

gmku 03.08.2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
As a said before, there are exceptions.

I have at least a half-dozen exceptions, then.

E. Noisefield 03.09.2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99

I can never decide. But their first two records and Let it Come Down are really good. Songs in A&E has my favorite song of theirs though.

Ok, so Ladies and Gentlemen is probably the best of the bunch, :I am embarrassed:

Lol. It's all good, though.

hipster_bebop_junkie 03.09.2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

I have at least a half-dozen exceptions, then.

Too many doesn't mean there aren't a few that really do suck.

gmku 03.09.2012 07:36 AM

Which ones suck, in your opinion?

crumbs crunchy delights 03.09.2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Nice titties.

Severian 03.09.2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure I think any of it actually *sucks*. Certainly none of their albums suck overall.

That said, as much as I love one half of A&E, (as mentioned earlier, of has some of their best 00s moments) the other half is lacking. For one thing there are far too many "fire" ananalogies. Also, the lyrics tend to be cliche, but not in an ironic way.

The album isn't split, like the first half is good, the second shire, but it is equal parts awesome and mediocre.

I cannot find fault with any of the other LPs , though Grace is probably my least fave