Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

choc e-Claire 03.12.2020 04:02 AM

Experiment of Nurture: Ablatio Penis at 2 Months, Sex Reassignment at 7 Months, and a Psychosexual Follow-up in Young Adulthood
Susan J. Bradley, MD; Gillian D. Oliver, MD; Avinoam B. Chernick, MD; and Kenneth J. Zucker, PhD

Rob Instigator 03.30.2020 07:45 AM

Finished P.D. Ouspensky's A New Model for the Universe, my 2nd book offun Ra's Reading List. https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2020/...-universe.html

NYCgaf16 03.30.2020 08:58 AM

currently i'm reading The Faithful River by Stefan Żeromski

here's some more info on that book

tw2113 03.30.2020 11:30 AM

Started reading "No Cunning Plan" by Tony Robinson this weekend.

g. 04.04.2020 03:33 PM

Part way through 'I am Brian Wilson'. Great read so far.

Rob Instigator 04.14.2020 02:43 PM

For the Readers out there.

The 'rona 'tine has left me with some free time so I aggregated every link to every book I reviewed over the past 5 years. Most are PDF files, some are to read online. Please share with anyone looking for weird stuff to read. http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/p/reviewed-books.html

h8kurdt 04.17.2020 10:36 AM

Managing to get some solid reading done since lockdown has started. I can't remember the last time I was able to just sit for a few hours and do nothing but read. It's been nice actually.

First one was about an absolute hero Socrates. There aren't many players (there are certainly more managers) I look up to as a hero but this guy was one. Whilst he may have failed in the long run trying to change how football was run the blame can't be put down to him. Least he tried, right?

Second one I've just finished is this one. It was an absolute beast of a book and as depressing as you can imagine. However, it'd been sat on my to-read shelf for about two years so I finally took the plunge. Once I got into the rhythm of the book I really enjoyed it.

LifeDistortion 04.26.2020 08:14 AM

The Relive Box and Other Stories by T.C. Boyle, always enjoy Boy's short stories collections.

LifeDistortion 06.04.2020 04:31 PM

I would think with quarantine people would be reading more, perhaps they are and just are forgetting to contribute to this thread. I'm currently reading American Pop by Snowden Wright.

tw2113 06.09.2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I would think with quarantine people would be reading more, perhaps they are and just are forgetting to contribute to this thread. I'm currently reading American Pop by Snowden Wright.

I suspect binge watching tv/movies is higher priority, or podcasts.

Rob Instigator 06.16.2020 04:20 PM

Just finished a great book on expository writing. Why Not Say It Clearly by Lester S. King M.D.

I found it in a stack on a "free book" shelf at work. I work at a medical school. http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2020/0...ly-indeed.html

a baby in 1980 08.06.2020 06:37 PM

Just finished the first chapter in 'De Meeste Mensen Deugen', the Dutch version of Rutger Bregman's Humankind: A Hopeful History. Entertainingly written. Looking forward to reading more. I doubt I won't be able to recommend this book.

choc e-Claire 08.06.2020 06:59 PM

Media textbooks, in particular about agency and control (effect theories).

_tunic_ 08.27.2020 03:42 AM

I'm still reading Sherlock Holmes and Franquin's comics of Gaston Lagaffe.

But to anyone who wants to read something new, this news is pretty remarkable:
for the first time ever a Dutch writer has won the International Booker Prize! Marieke Lucas Rijneveld for her debut The Discomfort of Evening, in a translation by Michele Hutchison. To emphasize the importance of the translator, they will split the prize money.
The story is about the 10 year old Jas (which directly translates to Coat) and her farmer family who lose a son after an accident. Not really a story that I would choose to read.
In a reaction the writer said she is as proud as a cow with seven udders :D

h8kurdt 10.05.2020 01:28 PM

Finished this the other day. I'd started it donkeys ago and then put it down. I finally got round to going through it again and I'm so glad I did. Honestly one of the best books I've ever read. If you've an interest in film I honestly can't recommend it higher. There's a netflix series too but it wasn't able to give the broad scope it deserves.

There's a section about when the director George Stevens was with the American army liberating the concentration camps, including Dachau, that damn near ruined me. From that moment on he was never the same. How could you be? And with that it affected the films he eventually went on to do when he came back. The same was true of all five directors but Stevens' story definitely hit me the hardest.

Brilliant read.

TheDom 10.05.2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Finished this the other day. I'd started it donkeys ago and then put it down. I finally got round to going through it again and I'm so glad I did. Honestly one of the best books I've ever read. If you've an interest in film I honestly can't recommend it higher. There's a netflix series too but it wasn't able to give the broad scope it deserves.

There's a section about when the director George Stevens was with the American army liberating the concentration camps, including Dachau, that damn near ruined me. From that moment on he was never the same. How could you be? And with that it affected the films he eventually went on to do when he came back. The same was true of all five directors but Stevens' story definitely hit me the hardest.

Brilliant read.

I adored the documentary! Might just need to buckle down and read this. And the Stevens’ story is definitely the hardest hitting. I also love the thought of John Ford filming during an actual battle.

Thanks for the reminder! Definitely an interesting topic.

d.sound 10.05.2020 06:58 PM

I'm reading Antkind by Charlie Kaufman. Laugh out loud funny.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.05.2020 07:23 PM

Rob Instigator 10.07.2020 09:59 AM

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Vol. 1 - Gibbons.

It seemed fitting at this time in history

!@#$%! 10.07.2020 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Vol. 1 - Gibbons.

It seemed fitting at this time in history

i know... we’re fucked!