Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

h8kurdt 07.25.2019 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, I’m pretty impressed. Slow moving because I’m working a ton these days, but it ... well, it’s smarter, better, faster, stronger than the Harry Potter books to which it is so often - for some reason - compared, despite coming out much earlier.

If only Harry Potter was written this eloquently, the story could have been something, but the actual prose underestimates the attention spans of young readers.

Kinda weird that it’s going to be an HBO show. Think they’re going to up the violence?

Think you'll stick with it? Honestly each book gets better and delves more deeply than you'd expect from a supposed "children's" book.

I do. They've confirmed that they're keeping all the details of the authority, the church and the like in. I've high hopes for it for sure. I want to watch the film just to see what exactly they did with it.

pony 07.30.2019 03:28 PM

ha ha ha, T.S. Eliot was such a scumbag lol

!@#$%! 07.30.2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony
ha ha ha, T.S. Eliot was such a scumbag lol

pound was worse-- he turned fascist

see, even people with good taste can have perverse political beliefs

e.g., see: forum neonazis

Shermankeype 08.01.2019 08:42 PM

what are you reading

Just like the title says........
What are you lisening to right now?

Ive just been listening to muse-unintended.
Now its aqualung-strange and beautiful

tw2113 08.03.2019 07:23 PM

Finally finished Neuromancer earlier. I'll need to re-read to really understand fully.

!@#$%! 08.03.2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Finally finished Neuromancer earlier. I'll need to re-read to really understand fully.

first time ever? wow! congrats

see if you can get the “burning chrome” collection of shorts stories. it’s where he sorta workshopped his material previously, and a lot of fun.

pony 08.04.2019 04:08 PM

if you need a book recommendation, ask symbols.
HIS BOOK RECOMMENDING GAME IS FIRE

currently reading and loving alejandra pizarnik

THANK YOU SYMBOLS

tw2113 08.04.2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
first time ever? wow! congrats

see if you can get the “burning chrome” collection of shorts stories. it’s where he sorta workshopped his material previously, and a lot of fun.

Yep Gibson first timer for me.

Severian 08.05.2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113

Love Gibson. Great book.

Rob Instigator 08.08.2019 02:39 PM

Finshed The Sword of the Lictor (Gene Wolfe)

Review up https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2019/...g-with-my.html

Severian 08.09.2019 07:17 AM

Finished The Golden Compass and I’m about ¾ through the sequel, The Subtle Knife, which is weird as hell.

Severian 08.09.2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Finshed The Sword of the Lictor (Gene Wolfe)

Review up https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2019/...g-with-my.html

AWESOME!!! Will read when I get a sec.

Keep plugging, shit gets crazy. Er.

Severian 08.09.2019 08:42 PM

ROB:

Nice review (apart from some weird punctuation, but my brain is trained for AP at this point so whatever).

I’m SO GLAD you’re enjoying it, and you’re really honing in on what makes (made :( ) Wolfe such an effective writer — his ability to such the reader in and create an experience that mimics that of actual life through the profession of the story. Kind of meta-narrative. Love it.

Haven’t read your Claw review yet, but will. Just saw Sword of the Lictor. Glad you’re seeing this through!

If you finish the four main books, you’ll only be the second person I “know” to have done so.

(BOT Long Sun is an *excellent* but utterly different semi-sequel if you crave more when your done with BOT New Sun)

tw2113 08.11.2019 11:04 PM

Finished "Putting the Science in Science Fiction" for more accurate sci-fi writing.

Still very slowly working on IT, started "The Time Machine" as well and sometime soon-ish, "Aliens: Steel Egg".

Rob Instigator 08.12.2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
ROB:

Nice review (apart from some weird punctuation, but my brain is trained for AP at this point so whatever).

I’m SO GLAD you’re enjoying it, and you’re really honing in on what makes (made :( ) Wolfe such an effective writer — his ability to such the reader in and create an experience that mimics that of actual life through the profession of the story. Kind of meta-narrative. Love it.

Haven’t read your Claw review yet, but will. Just saw Sword of the Lictor. Glad you’re seeing this through!

If you finish the four main books, you’ll only be the second person I “know” to have done so.

(BOT Long Sun is an *excellent* but utterly different semi-sequel if you crave more when your done with BOT New Sun)

Yes indeed. As you originally stated, the BOTNS is like a mindworm, and once it is in your head, it seems as real, if not more real, than the day to day around me. cool. stuff.

sonic sphere 08.14.2019 03:57 PM

No other book has made me shake my head in disbelief at least once on EVERY page. Cunt.

LifeDistortion 08.14.2019 04:21 PM

Under the Big Black Sun- A Personal History of L.A. Punk by John Doe/Tom DeSavia

_tunic_ 08.15.2019 05:49 AM

Rob, just in case you're looking for a new job. Check this out: Seeking Barefoot Bookseller for 2019 ;)

Rob Instigator 08.15.2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Rob, just in case you're looking for a new job. Check this out: Seeking Barefoot Bookseller for 2019 ;)

what a dream

h8kurdt 08.15.2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere

No other book has made me shake my head in disbelief at least once on EVERY page. Cunt.

Haha! Tell me more.