Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

loubarret 06.20.2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
there's a bunch of Drake-hate on this board. I'm guessing because (A) they've heard maybe a verse, (B) he's a big name so he must be bad, (C) nobody hip said it was okay to like Drake yet.

The simple fact is, I just think his music is really irritating even if I heard it pass by on the radio at my school in lunchbreaks.

TheFoxBen 06.20.2010 10:05 AM

Quote:

there's a bunch of Drake-hate on this board. I'm guessing because (A) they've heard maybe a verse, (B) he's a big name so he must be bad, (C) nobody hip said it was okay to like Drake yet.

(D) he got a good rating on pitchfork.

noisereductions 06.20.2010 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFoxBen
(D) he got a good rating on pitchfork.

hahahahaha that too.

What fucking ever. He's a good rapper. I don't idolize him. I haven't bought his LP yet. I don't think he's hip hop's savior. But I do think he's talented, and enjoy several of his mixtapes along with the Young Money album.

viewtiful alan redux 06.21.2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

I know that I have all those tracks on other albums. :)

Wait, its a comp? These aren't out takes?

noisereductions 06.21.2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful alan redux
Wait, its a comp? These aren't out takes?

I cant remember every single track, but I remember picking it up and reading the tracklist, and the big bulk of song titles I recognized as owning on other albums. It's basically a compilation of shit from different indie albums and official mixtapes etc. It's put out by Cleopatra I believe -- who's well-known for repackaging shit over and over.

viewtiful alan redux 06.21.2010 03:39 PM

My dad was on business in Nashville and stopped by the Third Man store, I had him pick these up for me:
CD:

7-Inch

Derek 06.22.2010 06:22 PM

atsonicpark 06.22.2010 06:30 PM

giuseppe andrews discography

I now own every movie, cd, and book.

Derek 06.22.2010 06:32 PM

I have seen Touch Me In The Morning and Period Piece... I now own 2 of his movies ON DVD-R!!!

atsonicpark 06.22.2010 06:34 PM

TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING is one of my favorite movies ever. Just gets better and better with every viewing. Just something about it... a weird quality missing from his other works. Though he greatly expanded on many things throughout his career -- some wild philisophical films, some wildly experimental, some loose improvised ones, some severe grossout stuff.. he's been extremely inventive and interesting, and he has probably the single most important work of a filmmaker this side of Godard. 35 films in like 9 years, all of them unique and interesting.

But there was a 4 year gap between TOUCH and IN OUR GARDEN. And something happened in those 4 years. Nothing was ever as innocent and intelligent and thought provoking as TOUCH... he made that film at the same age I now am. I think it really speaks to me. The scene of him riding in the back of a truck.. amazing.

viewtiful alan redux 06.24.2010 10:30 PM

Ghostchase 06.25.2010 01:07 AM

The album art instantly won me over, after much debating to buy this, the Thurston Moore remix sealed the deal. I really like this album maybe even more than Crystal Castles (I). Anyone who samples Stina Nordenstam is well worthy of my money.

stu666 06.25.2010 01:25 AM

Sunburned - Boiled in Bathtub

Bertrand 06.26.2010 08:42 AM

Television Personalities : A Memory Is Better than Nothing

The previous album was a cause of rage, a caricature of what Dan Treacy thought people liked in him, it was soooo bad, he had reached the bottom.

I bought this one after listening to a song on his Myspace, and there are some fine songs there. Especially Funny He Never Married.

But it can only be me.

viewtiful alan redux 06.26.2010 04:35 PM

Just ordered this:

noisereductions 06.26.2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Just ordered this:

I mean no offense, but how come you buy mixtapes that the artists release for free legal download?

viewtiful alan redux 06.26.2010 05:53 PM

I don't know, I just like having them I guess. I never pay more than $5.
Plus, I don't have my own computer, and my dad gets pissed when I download shit

Murmer99 06.26.2010 05:56 PM

The Stooges self titled

noisereductions 06.26.2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

I don't know, I just like having them I guess. I never pay more than $5.
Plus, I don't have my own computer, and my dad gets pissed when I download shit

oh word. How do you get em so cheap? i'd buy more mixtapes if I found em cheap. But usually they're at Best Buy for $15. Pffft.

viewtiful alan redux 06.27.2010 11:43 PM

Well in Houston there are actually alot of mixtape vendors, you can get them at gas stations, I like to support that kind of thing, just a real grass roots hip hop scene.
Also, there are some good websites, like nycmixmania.