Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

_tunic_ 03.25.2020 08:19 AM

Music is beautiful, and her voice as well. But I always have a hard time to listen to music in a language I don't understand. What doesn't help is that they are mowing my lawn at the moment.

!@#$%! 03.25.2020 02:34 PM

i need to fuckin chilllllllllll...

so:

NYCgaf16 03.25.2020 02:56 PM

i'm really desperate and insecure please say something about the stuff i listened to lol

!@#$%! 03.25.2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCgaf16
i'm really desperate and insecure please say something about the stuff i listened to lol

fuck minor threat

the rest is great!

actually... dio sabbath does not stand up to the ozzy era, for my taste

!@#$%! 03.25.2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

Music is beautiful, and her voice as well. But I always have a hard time to listen to music in a language I don't understand. What doesn't help is that they are mowing my lawn at the moment.

most of the music i listen to is in a language i dont understand

so i listen to music as music, not words

there was a study about this

_tunic_ 03.25.2020 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so i listen to music as music, not words

The thing is, I don't really listen to the words as if I want to understand what the song is about. But I do prefer it to be in a language that I understand. Sigur Ros is a good example, found it really annoying to listen to until I saw them live.
Perhaps that's why I like post-rock, there are no words.

A Thousand Threads 03.25.2020 05:15 PM

The Soup Nazi 03.25.2020 09:09 PM

Quote:

What doesn't help is that they are mowing my lawn at the moment.

That's debatable.

h8kurdt 03.26.2020 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimesbf

I recently went on a John Coltrane splurge buying and listening to few albums. Soaking it all up and seeing if I get the love. I've decided that she is by far the more enjoyable to listen to.

That's not to say Coltrane doesn't have some alright stuff but give me Alice Coltrane any day.

hirsute_biped 03.27.2020 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
You're not that off. In '72, Lester Bangs wrote that Black Sabbath was "probably the first truly Catholic rock group, or the first group to completely immerse themselves in the Fall and Redemption." :D

Amen. Also, Rat Salad is prescient given our current zoonotic disease situation. Check out vids of those Chinese “wet markets”, some very problematic practices there leading directly to our current situation. Literally: bat soup

hirsute_biped 03.27.2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I recently went on a John Coltrane splurge buying and listening to few albums. Soaking it all up and seeing if I get the love. I've decided that she is by far the more enjoyable to listen to.

That's not to say Coltrane doesn't have some alright stuff but give me Alice Coltrane any day.

Love her first four albums. There are others from mid-70s I’ve heard which I do not love, haven’t heard them all though. The recent compilation drawn from her ashram/spiritual/new-age cassettes was interesting, better than I feared it might have been. Here is a link to a DubLab mix of her ashram tapes: https://www.dublab.com/archive/rbma-...ane-by-frosty/

Give John more chances when you are ready, he will give back to you. Pharoah Sanders too...

TheDom 03.27.2020 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt

I've been in the same mode after watching a Chasin' The 'Trane on Netflix. It wasn't the best documentary, but there was some home movies that almost made me weep. It wasn't the serious, searching Coltrane you see in all the album covers. It was a guy goofing off in his robe with his children and dog, smiling. His warmth and spirit really radiated from that footage and I've been listening to his playing differently ever since.

You may have gotten to them already, but check out the albums they both played on together. Alice plays piano on Live at the Village Vanguard Again! and Expression, amongst many others. Her playing may have pushed him further 'out', but that warm aura from her albums is also on those 2.

h8kurdt 03.27.2020 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
I've been in the same mode after watching a Chasin' The 'Trane on Netflix. It wasn't the best documentary, but there was some home movies that almost made me weep. It wasn't the serious, searching Coltrane you see in all the album covers. It was a guy goofing off in his robe with his children and dog, smiling. His warmth and spirit really radiated from that footage and I've been listening to his playing differently ever since.

You may have gotten to them already, but check out the albums they both played on together. Alice plays piano on Live at the Village Vanguard Again! and Expression, amongst many others. Her playing may have pushed him further 'out', but that warm aura from her albums is also on those 2.

It was because of that documentary I decided to go on a splurge. I've had Love Supreme for a while and never got on with it. I decided to get Blue Train and Giant Steps (the last one for the song Naima alone) and eh.

My issue is his insistence on overplaying. I'd rather hear four notes than the 20 in 10 seconds he does. He does it on Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue album too and it does me tree in.

_tunic_ 03.27.2020 06:00 AM

Bob Dylan released a new song, 17 minutes long. Couldn't really grab me, but then the YT autoplay switched over to Joan Baez. Beautiful, check out this concert from Netherlands in 1967 for instance

The Soup Nazi 03.27.2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Bob Dylan released a new song, 17 minutes long.

Holy SHIT! Fuck lockdowns, this is far more important.

Bytor Peltor 03.29.2020 04:48 AM

小圈子 by 輕描淡寫

hirsute_biped 03.29.2020 07:59 PM

Yuri Landman, quite Youth-ian but really good. Special version comes with a Landman-designed instrument integrated into the album cover

https://geertruida.net/gshop/product/bismuth-st/

Savage Clone 03.29.2020 09:11 PM

Saragossa Manuscript OST, in honor of Penderecki's passing.

NYCgaf16 03.30.2020 04:48 AM

i'm currently re-listening to every sy album because i want to do a review of every sy album

choc e-Claire 03.30.2020 05:06 AM

Haha, that'll be a fun isolation project.

I am listening to Weezer's white album, which is apparently their last good one according to some of my friends. They're not my friends anymore.