Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Severian 11.25.2019 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

I know Efrim released an album this year but ... any idea when ASMZ will drop something new?

Feels like it’s been a minute

_tunic_ 11.25.2019 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I know Efrim released an album this year but ... any idea when ASMZ will drop something new?

I hope they still exist ... I've no idea. Last album (and EP) is already of 2014. Both Jessica and Efrim are doing solo stuff, or otherwise Efrim and the rest is playing with GYBE. I was even wondering if Efrim and Jessica were still together, might be a reason for a possible break-up of SMZ.

Now playing:
dEUS playlist on Youtube

Severian 11.25.2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

I hope they still exist ... I've no idea. Last album (and EP) is already of 2014. Both Jessica and Efrim are doing solo stuff, or otherwise Efrim and the rest is playing with GYBE. I was even wondering if Efrim and Jessica were still together, might be a reason for a possible break-up of SMZ.

Now playing:
dEUS playlist on Youtube

Damn.

I kinda prefer the best ASMZ stuff (Pretty Little Lightning Paw, This is Our Punk Rock, Fuck off Get Free) to all but the absolute best GYBE stuff.

Like. More Action Less Tears? Microphones in the Trees? That was some next level shit.

_tunic_ 11.26.2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Damn.

I kinda prefer the best ASMZ stuff (Pretty Little Lightning Paw, This is Our Punk Rock, Fuck off Get Free) to all but the absolute best GYBE stuff.

Like. More Action Less Tears? Microphones in the Trees? That was some next level shit.

did you ever listen to Oiseaux Tempete? They're like a hybrid between both bands. Jessica plays on their latest album and toured with them this year. Here's a couple of live vids:
OISEAUX-TEMPETE «He is Afraid and so am I », LP «From Somewhere Invisible» (2019-10-18)
OISEAUX-TEMPETE «Weird Dancing In All-Night I », LP «From Somewhere Invisible» (2019-10-18)
Oiseaux-Tempête & friends, 31/10/2019 Tourcoing (F)
Oiseaux Tempête & Friends - He is afraid and so am I @ Le Guess Who 2019 Utrecht (1/2)
Oiseaux Tempête & Friends - Carnaval @ Le Guess Who 2019 Utrecht (2/2)

the ones from Utrecht are probable the best choice if you want to hear the most violin, in the others she's a bit buried in the mix

I now regret a bit that I've never seen the early stages of SMZ live. Didn't really like those first albums when they were released. But now I do and would have loved to hear those songs live. Regarding Microphones In The Trees, I don't like the recorded version (it sounds a bit sterile) as much as when they play it live.

Here's my audio recording of the first time I saw them in 2008, one of the funniest concerts I ever went to, the banter in between songs was so hilarious. Also saw them the next night, which was less great probably because somebody had decided to put wooden chairs in the venue. Both are not the greatest quality in recording, but their great memories ;)
Shameless plugs I know, but this one from 2010 in Brussels is great, in quality, in banter and performance. Oddly enough, it looks like I also recorded their last live show, in Germany in 2014. At least on setlist.fm there are no other dates listed after it. Damn, that last album was so great, and those songs live as well.

Genteel Death 11.26.2019 10:09 AM

Persona - Som
One of the rarest and most desired Brazilian Psych experimental records full of fuzz guitars and experimental sounds. Includes the original large poster insert with instructions about how to play the Psych/Mirror/Candle “Persona Game” while listening to the record. Great trip experience featuring the members of Tutti-Frutti (the backup group to resident-freak-girl, ex-Os-Mutantes, Rita Lee): Luis Carlini (Electric Guitar, Harmonica, Echo Play Effects), Lee Marcucci (Acoustic Guitar), Franklin Paolillo (Percussion); Carmem Flores (Vocals on the Track "Agua”). Recorded at Studio "Midia" in Sao Paulo December 1975. Presented as a sonic/game during the XII Bienal de Arte of São Paulo by the artist Roberto Campadello and future Tutti Frutti musicians here at their most experimental peak ever! Experimental weirdness featuring a spoken introduction, percussion and guitar. Mostly it's just a studio mashup of fuzz guitar manipulations, but not anything like Gottsching or Reichel's works. More impenetrable than that and hard to find anything to latch onto. Highly original! If Mr. Stapleton had ever come across this one he would have surely put it in the infamous NWW list! - Roots Vinyl Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RMh0z0N3Ds

_tunic_ 11.26.2019 11:15 AM

Grace Cathedral Park - In the Evening of Regret (Full Album)

beautiful laid-back post-rock like gybe or sigur ros (but instrumental). Sometimes searching old folders on the pc brings back long-forgotten gems ;)

floatingslowly 11.27.2019 06:02 AM

Quote:

I am the Dancing Guy.

_tunic_ 11.27.2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly

you rock!

Genteel Death 11.27.2019 03:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5CN3HnNoQ

The Soup Nazi 11.27.2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Can't help reading "Miami Deutsch". The eye-to-brain connecsh can be stubborn sometimes...

_tunic_ 11.28.2019 07:28 AM

Sonic Youth live @ VPRO Studio Hilversum Netherlands June 10 1987
(audio only)

there's also video of one song from this session:
Sonic Youth - Beauty Lies In The Eye (Live 1987 VPRO Session)

SONIC YOUTH @ FA ONRUST 1989
20 minute documentary about SY in Amsterdam in 1989

reason: There's a podcast hosted by Lotje IJzermans (which translates to Ironmans ;) ) a female Dutch radio presenter whose voice was the sole reason why I would listen to Dutch radio in the eighties/nineties. She started this podcast earlier this year, and in the first episode she speaks about Sonic Youth. Turns out her first job was to interview them and she ran off after 10 minutes :p
Language is Dutch unfortunately for you. Well, the podcat was disappointing a bit, she only speaks on it for a minute, then plays Kool Thing

_tunic_ 11.28.2019 09:08 AM

too ADHD for me to really like it, much prefer their later work Seamonsters especially

Bytor Peltor 11.29.2019 04:18 AM

toim - bumbo

_tunic_ 11.29.2019 04:50 AM

The Snake Of June - I Just Can't Quit You Xma$

Have yourself a doom metal christmas
Let your heart be light
From now on your troubles will be out of sight

_tunic_ 11.29.2019 07:39 AM

Thee Mighty Oiseaux-Tempete, Tra-La-La-Band and a Dutch Sock

Antagon 11.29.2019 09:43 AM

Antagon 11.29.2019 10:55 AM

_tunic_ 12.01.2019 02:30 PM