Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Effects (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8597)

CHOUT 03.29.2007 09:26 PM

I haven't bought a pedal in a while...well about a week.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 03.29.2007 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
That's gonna be on our album cover too...along with lotsa other things...

Well mine is gonna just be a straight up shot of the frequency analyzer.

CHOUT 03.30.2007 12:40 AM

Whoa, check out the new Moogerfooger pedal:
could be an april fools joke, they've done that before...

MF-FM: NEW MOOGERFOOGER EFFECT USES BROADCAST RADIO SIGNALS

MF/FM mixes live radio and instrument sounds to create out-of-this-world effects. In case the FreqBox wasn’t adept at catapulting Moog beyond the frayed outer circles of unique electronic effects, another new Moogerfooger, unveiled today, puts the phrase “never been done before” into almost cliché territory. The “MF/FM” effect actually captures radio signals, routes them through electronic wizardry, and produces some of the craziest sounds imaginable. The new MF/FM begins shipping April First.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 03.30.2007 01:30 AM

I think it is fake. Seriously, a 350 dollar radio would be sort of ridiculous.

king_buzzo 03.30.2007 09:51 AM

It's fake, you can see the poor photoshoping on the tuning bar...

king_buzzo 03.30.2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
Let's hear that badboy, Donald.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=05DFC26E6762FB02

Bad quality, couldn't show the incredible amazing oscilliating power because whenever I do it, theres massive ammount of hum in the recording.

lowlife 03.31.2007 01:19 AM

that is fake but also great. Tons of crazy noise in those AM bands!

scott v 03.31.2007 08:47 AM

back to my new/old setup:

all runs thru my early 70's silverfaced soupped up Fender Twin.

guitar -> mxr phase 90 -> dunlop octave fuzz -> boss octave OC-2 -> 80's proco rat -> modded russian bigmuff reissue w/ booster switch

on the seperate channel(s):
contact mic -> danelectro octave distortion -> DOD death metal
my homemade radio shlock contact mic is not attached to anything but rests in front of the grill on the amp and i'll run it around and touch parts of the amp... insane noise ala Merzbow meets Whitehouse meets Prurient meets i dunno bonecrunching lowend w/ the death metal pedal, high pitch squeels and crunchiness w/ the danelectro both together sound slike the end is near...

FM3 Buddha Machine -> direct to amp

i dunno i just felt like letting you all know this info.

king_buzzo 04.04.2007 02:50 PM

An interview with Mike Mathews, founder of EHX, great read
http://www.guitaramplifiermagazine.c...interview.html

MellySingsDoom 04.05.2007 02:18 PM

Nice interview, king_buzzo. On the EHX front, I own an original 1970's Electric Mistress flanger. Apparently, Kevin Shields and J Mascis are big fans of this pedal, but I bought mine on the strength of William Bennett using it for much of his microphone feedback stuff on the early Whitehouse LPs.

king_buzzo 04.05.2007 02:49 PM

J uses a deluxe mistress and not an original '70s one, but still its an amazing pedal, they have it in De Plug (amazing vintage store in amsterdam) and its 130 but i think i want the Deluxe one, the filter matrix is an amazing effect.

MellySingsDoom 04.05.2007 03:14 PM

Yeah, I love the filter matrix effect. With reverb, you can get some really good guitar tones.

king_buzzo 04.05.2007 03:36 PM

Yeah, flanger is really usefull i think, I'd like to get an EHX Mistress. Well, if i get some money for easter, im probably going to buy another Big Muff, a russian one this time, and an Eh ltd. pulsar.

MellySingsDoom 04.05.2007 04:31 PM

Ah, I have an old Pulsar pedal - I really like it. I can get some great Pussy Galore-style tremolo effects out of it. If you ever get the chance, try and have a go of the Graphic Fuzz pedal. You can get some really evil feedback out of it.

king_buzzo 04.05.2007 04:32 PM

Yeah the graphic fuzz can be usefull. I guess you can get the same effect by putting a BM an eq and a boost together.

You mean the old 2 knob Pulsar?

MellySingsDoom 04.05.2007 04:44 PM

I have the 3 knob one. The middle knob changes the wave (from very soft wobble to very hard cut). I tend to go more for Spacemen 3-type stuff.

king_buzzo 04.05.2007 04:45 PM

Yeah, i'm thinking about getting that one. Yes I definately need another Muff. EHX rules.

MellySingsDoom 04.05.2007 04:46 PM

You're right. I'm a real sucker for their pedals. I wouldn't mind their less-than-cheap looper pedal.

king_buzzo 04.05.2007 05:00 PM

They have a cheap looper? I've seen the 2000 whatever looper, but that was like 300 bucks.

MellySingsDoom 04.05.2007 05:09 PM

Sorry there, I meant to say that the looper was not cheap at all. Still, even at the expensive cost, it still looks very tempting.