Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   (actual) world cup thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40145)

Rob Instigator 06.23.2010 05:05 PM

I am very excited. It is on to the win-or-go-home stages!!!!!!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.23.2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
No one would ever have thought the USA would top Group C.

When we drew with England I knew we could clinch the Group.. US has some of the best defense in the Cup, we play much better when the cards are down and are come-back kings thus far

Toilet & Bowels 06.23.2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
England v Germany ... the tabloid editors are rubbing their hands together at that one. They'll treat it like the final.

except it's more important than the final

demonrail666 06.23.2010 06:09 PM

The Sun's probably already preparing it's giveaway Spitfire poster, in time for Sunday's edition. They're already at it. Tomorrow's backpage headline of The Sun: 'PREPARE FOR GERM WARFARE!'

chicka 06.23.2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
what I love most of all is NO COMMERCIALS!! I HATE commercial television, I will watch ANYTHING on PBS to spare me the drama, headache and brainwashing of commercials and advertising. I almost exclusively watch PBS, regardless of how boring or lame what is on is, so futbol has truly won my vote with commercial free broadcasts.

further, the non-stop playing is very very very exciting coming from American spectator sports which are all stop stop stop for advertising.. I have never been on my feet so much for sports as with futbol matches, it is 95 minutes nonstop excitement, shouting, jumping, clapping, screaming, falling!!!

Couldn't agree more about the Ads. I just recently got a deal on HBO and MAX before that I lived on TCM. The thing I hate about US Football is they have followed the basketball mentality in over hyping the stars. Of all the American sports football is the most team oriented. Lebron can go for 50-13-12 and the team will win. Baseball the pitcher can throw a no-hitter but Brady needs Welker on the other end of those passes as well as o-line to protect him and running game to ease the pressure

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.23.2010 09:52 PM

I read an LA times editorial which said that the bad calls and lost goals against the US team have "bolstered support for the US team at home; after all nothing galvanizes Americans like a perceived injustice."

I agree, the official motto of the American people is, "Fuck that shit."

!@#$%! 06.23.2010 10:03 PM

when i came to 'merica i tried getting interested in the local sports but it was all 80% commercials 20% game so i said fuckit. i used to go see DC united at the stadium every now & then and that was lots of fun. here i'm close to regular mexico and there's not futbol stadium-- SHAME! there's only minor league baseball and i don't much feel like going. i went to a baseball stadium once (in baltimore) and it was dull as fuck, the only half-consolation was weak & overpriced beer-- no thanks! and the orioles lost, as usual. actually now that i remember it wasn't THAT dull, but futbol is way more fun & cheaper & worth the money & the spectators make a more fun racket.

Keeping It Simple 06.24.2010 05:06 AM

Quote:

The Sun's probably already preparing it's giveaway Spitfire poster, in time for Sunday's edition. They're already at it. Tomorrow's backpage headline of The Sun: 'PREPARE FOR GERM WARFARE!'

Shouldn't that be The Daily Mirror?

Rob Instigator 06.24.2010 09:01 AM

HAHAHA! I read one of the English correspondents for ESPN say how the tone of the media coverage in the UK would immediately shift to an all out attack on the german team and heaps of praise for the UK squad! ha ha!

!@#$%! 06.24.2010 10:35 AM

vamos, paraguay! haz un gol!!!

!@#$%! 06.24.2010 10:53 AM

italy is getting killed? holy fuck!!@

--

slovaks are faking all kind of bullshit pains

--

oh my fucking god. unfuckingbelievable. poor italy!-- and congrats slavo-- what a surprise

paraguay goes 1st... south american futbol is doing great so far.

jon boy 06.24.2010 11:41 AM

bye bye italy, good game that.

demonrail666 06.24.2010 11:44 AM

verme (prevaricator) 06.24.2010 11:50 AM

engraçado era se a espanha viesse para casa amanhã.

jennthebenn 06.24.2010 12:12 PM

I cannot wait for England vs. Germany. Cannot...fucking...wait.

Rob Instigator 06.24.2010 12:34 PM

!@#$%! 06.24.2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verme (prevaricator)
engraçado era se a espanha viesse para casa amanhã.

haa haa haa-- i got that. "engrasado" = greased up.

you'll cover yourself in lard if spain is sent home, huh?

(no, i really got it. but it wouldn't be just funny, it would be awesome--ha!)

---

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

HILARIOUS

demonrail666 06.24.2010 01:49 PM

Anyone see Honda's freekick for Japan? Awesome!

!@#$%! 06.24.2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Anyone see Honda's freekick for Japan? Awesome!

no-- been watching nederlandia. cameroon has no hope yet they are fighting. japan game good? need to flip channels more.

---

saw YC and commentators were saying japan has no attackers so went back to cameroon

demonrail666 06.24.2010 02:01 PM

Fucking hell! Japan are a nation of free-kick takers!!!!!!

Amazing!