Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Bytor Peltor 04.19.2019 12:57 PM

Pretty sure I would really enjoy this......what year?

Maybe you’ll enjoy these dolphins

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

the dolphins are annoying like squealing babies, but the whales sound amazing

no bullshit pianos or new age shit in this recording. just the sea and the animals.

granted it’s a bit of an awful cover but one doesn’t listen with the eyes.

!@#$%! 04.19.2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Counterpoint: that cover rules

haha i dislike names like “dolphin’s delight” and “symphony of whales”

i dislike the descriptions and their typography as well

the font for “moods” is okay though

but those whale sounds! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN......

awesome analog loops

AWESOME

relistening

!@#$%! 04.19.2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Pretty sure I would really enjoy this......what year?

Maybe you’ll enjoy these dolphins

the... oh, no.

but the moods album is from ‘95

!@#$%! 04.19.2019 03:11 PM

found another. no music/synthesizer/human interpretation thank fuck. just animal recordings.

the orcas are high pitched!

très bon

h8kurdt 04.19.2019 03:59 PM

Quote:

found another. no music/synthesizer/human interpretation thank fuck. just animal recordings.

the orcas are high pitched!

très bon

*Plays free willy harmonica* love me a bit of killer whale tunes

choc e-Claire 04.21.2019 04:41 AM

So Primary Colours (by The Horrors) is 10 years old today and I can't believe I almost forgot, it's so good.

(Also Faris is cute)

Antagon 04.21.2019 04:36 PM

Antagon 04.21.2019 05:22 PM

Severian 04.21.2019 08:01 PM

Savage Clone 04.21.2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon

Great songs but the snare sound on this is nearly unlistenable. Like super distracting. Machine guns.

Antagon 04.21.2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Great songs but the snare sound on this is nearly unlistenable. Like super distracting. Machine guns.

I'd agree that the percussion is probably the weakest part of the arrangement on this album. I personally never minded it that much. Consciously focusing on the snares though, I can see where you're coming from. But I love the melodies and the playful, yet melancholic atmosphere on this. And in my opinion they do outweigh the somewhat ill-fitting drumming. I think it's quite an underrated piece to be honest.

choc e-Claire 04.22.2019 12:44 AM

Antagon 04.22.2019 06:26 AM

Savage Clone 04.22.2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

I'd agree that the percussion is probably the weakest part of the arrangement on this album. I personally never minded it that much. Consciously focusing on the snares though, I can see where you're coming from. But I love the melodies and the playful, yet melancholic atmosphere on this. And in my opinion they do outweigh the somewhat ill-fitting drumming. I think it's quite an underrated piece to be honest.

It's a great record for sure and they are one of the greatest bands ever, still very interesting to this day. The snare sound on that record was intrusive enough to be memorable as the first piece of recording where I ever noticed production being annoying though.

"Fly" and "Disappear"are great though, and I love "Travel By Thought."

!@#$%! 04.22.2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

hah! back in prehistory some guy i knew had a cassette of this. i can't remember much more about it.

is it good?

!@#$%! 04.22.2019 03:12 PM

anyway, there are times when nothing but this glorious double feature will do

yes yes, both recordings in a row. that's how you wanna listen to them. goddamn.

Antagon 04.22.2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

hah! back in prehistory some guy i knew had a cassette of this. i can't remember much more about it.

is it good?

It's certainly good. Jury's still out whether that's all I think about it or if I will appreciate even more in the future. My takeaway from the first listen: A well-crafted somewhat folky, somewhat bluesy Jangle Pop album by a talented artist. I enjoyed it, but it didn't seem too out there or even super memorable at times. Will listen to it again though. And it's generally highly acclaimed, so maybe I'm in the tiny majority of people who just kind of enjoyed it.

!@#$%! 04.22.2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

It's certainly good. Jury's still out whether that's all I think about it or if I will appreciate even more in the future. My takeaway from the first listen: A well-crafted somewhat folky, somewhat bluesy Jangle Pop album by a talented artist. I enjoyed it, but it didn't seem too out there or even super memorable at times. Will listen to it again though. And it's generally highly acclaimed, so maybe I'm in the tiny majority of people who just kind of enjoyed it.

yeah it has its merits, fits your description, but i could not get into it. sounded a bit... "thin" for me.

anyway switched promptly and i'm into this right now

andrew hill's "point of departure", rudy van gelder edition

ah hell yes.

eta: fucking glorious, once again

choc e-Claire 04.23.2019 04:12 AM

Relistening. I like it now.

Antagon 04.23.2019 07:23 AM