Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.31.2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I saw Tool and Meshuggah together once. I forget why.

That's amazing. I'm envious.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.31.2019 05:52 PM

Severian 03.31.2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

That's amazing. I'm envious.

It was ok.

Maynard Keenan skulks about like Gollum and toys with the audience, which is really fucking irritating when you want to see the show. He hides and shit, stays in the shadows, weird power play bullshit for a stadium show. I went with friends, the people behind us had weed, we smoked a ton of it and that made the show much more fun.

But my friend who were really into tool were irritated at MK’s weird creepy crawly bullshit.

Don’t really remember Meshuggah, but this was in like 2001, so I’m allowed a lapse.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.31.2019 08:38 PM

Savage Clone 03.31.2019 08:44 PM

Tool are awful. Always were.
However, they seem like very cool people. I personally know a couple of people who have opened for them and they are pretty amazing for taking groups on tour with them that will surely alienate their bro-prog nu-metal music school audience.
Cows? They took COWS on tour with them. amazing. And apparently they treated them really well and give them a giant tip at the end. The band is probably the absolute antithesis of taste for their audience and I applaud them for that.
Also Kinski opened for them. Love that they gave bands like that a chance to play a giant arena setting.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.31.2019 11:25 PM

what exactly do you consider bro prog? just some weird gatekeeping, or?

Bytor Peltor 04.01.2019 02:52 AM

I saw that same tour. In Texas, they were playing smaller college cities which had them playing Lamar University in Beaumont, my hometown. They also played Corpus Christi, El Paso......maybe even Abilene? They didn’t play Houston, San Antonio or Dallas.

Quote:

I saw Tool and Meshuggah together once. I forget why.

Meanwhile, I’m enjoying The Power Elite by Andrew Likes

h8kurdt 04.01.2019 04:01 AM

Quote:

I honestly love this album. The rest are pretty good, but I accepted when the last album came out that no matter how long they spend on an album they'll never do one as good as Lateralus.

In fact, I'm totally expecting the new one to be a dud.

Severian 04.01.2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

what exactly do you consider bro prog? just some weird gatekeeping, or?

I dunno. I kinda get it.
Tool isn’t as dumb as a lot of the people who insist Tool is really smart, but they’re still pretty basic and their fans just lose their minds over that shit like Slint or Rodan or Swans never existed.

Probably because a lot of them don’t realize Slint and Rodan and Swans ever existe.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.01.2019 11:37 AM

So Tool sucks because they broke through to the mainstream? Yeesh...

I know Slint, Swans, and Tool - I even went and saw Swans live - and have enjoyed them all. Of the three, Tool is my favorite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I honestly love this album. The rest are pretty good, but I accepted when the last album came out that no matter how long they spend on an album they'll never do one as good as Lateralus.

In fact, I'm totally expecting the new one to be a dud.

I'm riding a high after Devin Townsend's latest album. I'm in for some new Tool, man.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.01.2019 11:51 AM

Severian 04.01.2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

So Tool sucks because they broke through to the mainstream? Yeesh...

I know Slint, Swans, and Tool - I even went and saw Swans live - and have enjoyed them all. Of the three, Tool is my favorite.

Is there anything in their discography that Rodan didn’t do better in 13 minutes on “The Everyday World of Bodies”?

Aaaanyway, I don’t really have much against Tool, but my friends who think they’re AMAZING and don’t know who they ripped off ... they irritate me.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.01.2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Is there anything in their discography that Rodan didn’t do better in 13 minutes on “The Everyday World of Bodies”?

Aaaanyway, I don’t really have much against Tool, but my friends who think they’re AMAZING and don’t know who they ripped off ... they irritate me.

Probably? They do it in 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vluBFWv4mE

Discrediting a band's entire discography because of how much you enjoy a track from a similar artist seems bitter. Of all bands to do that to, Tool's discography is too focused on exploration for them to be one. I've never heard of Rodan before. They sound punkier than Tool. Cool. Is Maynard too dorky for ya? I don't understand. It's okay to enjoy Bush even if you love Nirvana. I won't tell anyone.

Savage Clone 04.01.2019 01:20 PM

The vocals and the guitar work are the deal breakers for me. As someone I know once put it, Tool are usually the best band someone with bad taste likes or the worst band someone with good taste likes.

I guess they're building bridges!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.01.2019 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
The vocals and the guitar work are the deal breakers for me. As someone I know once put it, Tool are usually the best band someone with bad taste likes or the worst band someone with good taste likes.

I guess they're building bridges!

This feels a lot like the time Dead Air told me that Trent Reznor was just angry Morrissey.

Severian 04.01.2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Probably? They do it in 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vluBFWv4mE

Discrediting a band's entire discography because of how much you enjoy a track from a similar artist seems bitter. Of all bands to do that to, Tool's discography is too focused on exploration for them to be one. I've never heard of Rodan before. They sound punkier than Tool. Cool. Is Maynard too dorky for ya? I don't understand. It's okay to enjoy Bush even if you love Nirvana. I won't tell anyone.

Maynard’s kind of a pretentious douchechill, but that doesn’t matter.
It’s not the band I have an issue with so much as the hordes of people who love him and don’t know ... blah, I already said this.

If you love Bush, fine. If you love Bush and don’t know anything about Nirvana, that’s frustrating. Whatever. I honestly don’t care.

I really hate Puscifer and their whole hillbilly act. Fuck that shit.

My girlfriend loves Tool and I lived with her for 8 years. Chill.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.01.2019 01:47 PM

Puscifer is the Wilco of my g-g-g-g-g-g-generation

Antagon 04.01.2019 03:31 PM

choc e-Claire 04.01.2019 04:13 PM

Antagon 04.01.2019 04:36 PM