Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Savage Clone 12.31.2018 10:35 PM

Meh donna

dirty bunny 01.01.2019 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Meh donna

you shall not besmirch her! :P

Antagon 01.01.2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirty bunny
you shall not besmirch her! :P

And I Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeel...

No shit though, I kind of got a soft spot for that song and album. I chalk it up to nostalgia, I guess. When I was little, I would sometimes request a few songs and my sister would burn a CD with them and whatever else was available/lying around at that time. One time those random additions on her part just so happened to be Ray Of Light and one or two other tracks from that album. Still rember this very fondly.

_tunic_ 01.01.2019 06:05 AM

I also loved that Ray Of Light album, even though I'm not a disco pop whatever you call it person at all.

@claire & severian:
if you like Silver Mt Zion please do also check out Vic Chesnutt's album North Star Deserter.

Severian 01.01.2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon
And I Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeel...

No shit though, I kind of got a soft spot for that song and album. I chalk it up to nostalgia, I guess. When I was little, I would sometimes request a few songs and my sister would burn a CD with them and whatever else was available/lying around at that time. One time those random additions on her part just so happened to be Ray Of Light and one or two other tracks from that album. Still rember this very fondly.

No shame.

That was a good album and at the time, it was catchy as hell and all over the place. I believe that was the last Madonna album to really shake things up and be influential musically. I mean, no shit, Ray of Light helped ease the world into an acceptant state for electronic music, probably as much or more than other albums credited with such accomplishments — I’m being serious here.

Granted, most of that is due to William Orbit’s involvement with the project. I think he co-wrote and produced every single track.

But still... credit where credit is due. As a fan of electronic music, I appreciate this album and I am 100% guilty of buying it in 1997.

The next year Orbit would do almost the same thing with Blur for “13,” though obviously that is an infinitely better album.

Blah. I’m gonna listen to the title track right now

Severian 01.01.2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

@claire & severian:
if you like Silver Mt Zion please do also check out Vic Chesnutt's album North Star Deserter.

Yeah, I know the album and I do like it. Members of ASMZ and GYBE participated in the recording, or the writing or something. But I’m not as into most of ASMZ’s stuff — or things like North Star Deserter — as I once was, because holy Christ is it some dark and depressing stuff. Like wow.

At this point in my life, I have to tread carefully around such exquisitely sad stuff. But still... yeah, that’s a good album that I forget often.

“Everything I Say” has the exact kind of explosive fuzziness that appeals to me. When I’m in the mood for such a thing, that is.

!@#$%! 01.01.2019 11:07 AM

wanted something mellow with breakfast and

holy shit that album is 12 years old already!

now that she tries to sound normal it’s not the same

Severian 01.01.2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
wanted something mellow with breakfast and

holy shit that album is 12 years old already!

now that she tries to sound normal it’s not the same

Great album! Wow I feel old!

Also wattaya mean tries to sound normal? Talkin’ ‘bout “Divers”?

Antagon 01.01.2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
No shame.

That was a good album and at the time, it was catchy as hell and all over the place. I believe that was the last Madonna album to really shake things up and be influential musically. I mean, no shit, Ray of Light helped ease the world into an acceptant state for electronic music, probably as much or more than other albums credited with such accomplishments — I’m being serious here.

Granted, most of that is due to William Orbit’s involvement with the project. I think he co-wrote and produced every single track.

But still... credit where credit is due. As a fan of electronic music, I appreciate this album and I am 100% guilty of buying it in 1997.

The next year Orbit would do almost the same thing with Blur for “13,” though obviously that is an infinitely better album.

Blah. I’m gonna listen to the title track right now

Cool to see it appreciated around here. Yeah, it's really good. Hell, I'd even sneak in a song from that album every now and then during my 90s Alternative parties and it fit in just nicely. It's got those nice, dreamy atmospheres (courtesy of Orbit I'd guess based on the other stuff he produced around that time) and it's very cohesive.

Antagon 01.01.2019 12:27 PM

Savage Clone 01.01.2019 12:35 PM

!@#$%! 01.01.2019 03:08 PM

parts are okay. parts annoy me. first listen, not sure yet.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 01.01.2019 04:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3a8Fy6wOdk

!@#$%! 01.01.2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Great album! Wow I feel old!

Also wattaya mean tries to sound normal? Talkin’ ‘bout “Divers”?

yes! the newer stuff

it's okay but... dunno...

pony 01.01.2019 05:22 PM

!@#$%! 01.01.2019 07:08 PM

there's this playlist in my music app

damn damn damn...

Antagon 01.01.2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony

Awesome! Great to see some love for Sill here.

Severian 01.01.2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antagon

Hey, I forgot this existed.
Now I’m listening to it. Thanks!

Still good!

Severian 01.01.2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
there's this playlist in my music app

damn damn damn...

You went to the Apple side?