Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Last Album You Bought? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=91)

viewtiful_alan 12.21.2009 08:23 PM

Plus Wayne is on every song but one.

noisereductions 12.21.2009 08:36 PM

word. I planned to grab it today, but was too busy with xmas errands after work. I'll have it sometime this week.

SuperCreep 12.22.2009 05:21 PM

LP:

Einstürzende Neubauten - 1/2 Mensch
Gong - Camembert Electrique
Lou Reed - New York
The Velvet Underground - Singles 1966-69

SYRFox 12.22.2009 06:52 PM

Received my three Fonal CDs:

ES - A Love Cycle

Kemialliset Ystävät - Kellari Juniversumi

Tomutonttu - Tomutonttu

noisereductions 12.22.2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellcharge

is this... even a little good? I want to like recent KRS albums big time. But yeah, him landing on Duck Down is a pretty good idea. They have the whole D&D Studios connection from the mid-90's, so... and DD has Sean Price who has turned into a super secret amazing weapon since his days in Heltah Skeltah.

SuperCreep 12.22.2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Just ordered from Honest Jon's the 4 Men With Beards Deluxe Vinyl Reissue Wallet Breaking Mega Versions of:

John Fahey - America (2LP)

i've passed the 4MWB reissue of this so many times in the record store, but i'm really iffy with them in general. the only album i've heard done by them and liked is "metal box" and supposedly lydon oversaw that one. i've heard about four other albums done by them and they've all had terrible loudness issues. i couldn't set the volume knob past 3 o-clock without experiencing distortion.

do let me know how this sounds, though.

wellcharge 12.22.2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
is this... even a little good? I want to like recent KRS albums big time. But yeah, him landing on Duck Down is a pretty good idea. They have the whole D&D Studios connection from the mid-90's, so... and DD has Sean Price who has turned into a super secret amazing weapon since his days in Heltah Skeltah.

it's produced by ill mind,havoc,black milk,marco polo,moss,dj mentplus,nottz,khrysis,coptic,9th wonder

and there's guests on almost every track; dj revolution,mary j blige,rock,talib kweli,smif n wessun,immortal technique,k'naan,pharoahe monch,sean price,bounty killer,slug,naledge.

basically if you close yr eyes you'll be able to predict exactly what it sounds like, but for what it's worth all the guests sound really excited to work with krs-one,and they are on almost every track so that helps alot

look for "runnin away",and "think of all the things" on youtube i thought they were the best tracks

noisereductions 12.22.2009 10:23 PM

I would say that havoc, khrysis, pharoahe, sean price & slug is a pretty good argument.

wellcharge 12.22.2009 10:41 PM

slug is good on it, it's a bizarre combo and one of the things that made me curious,and it was cheap as hell at walmart, like it's generic duck down post 2004 or whatever sound, so no surprises but everyone involved in the project is dope so there's nothing really shitty to complain about or anything

noisereductions 12.23.2009 08:12 AM

I agree that DD has a generic sound ever since their re-emergence, EXCEPT in the case of Sean Price. In the 90's I would have said that Rock was my favorite in Heltah Skeltah, but Sean P made a serious COMEBACK that was like woah.

The Earl Of Slander 12.23.2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
i've passed the 4MWB reissue of this so many times in the record store, but i'm really iffy with them in general. the only album i've heard done by them and liked is "metal box" and supposedly lydon oversaw that one. i've heard about four other albums done by them and they've all had terrible loudness issues. i couldn't set the volume knob past 3 o-clock without experiencing distortion.

Really? Because I have a few from them and they all seem quality. The Tim Buckley 'Happy Sad' especially is really nice. The Velvets I have from them ('VU' and 'Another View') were good too.

SuperCreep 12.23.2009 08:18 PM

It might have been that I didn't have such a great setup back when I bought them, but I've heard other people complain about the same thing too. It might only be a few of their albums, though. I've had VU&Nico (alright), Maggot Brain (alright), Chairs Missing (terrible), 154 (pretty terrible), Starsailor (alright), and Scott 4 (terrible.) I wouldn't doubt that some of them are good. Like I said, I have Metal Box and it's one of the better sounding LPs I own. I'm just very skeptical since I can't return LPs if I don't like the sound.

They do put out a lot of quality albums, I must say.

The Earl Of Slander 12.23.2009 08:34 PM

At often stupid prices though.

The Earl Of Slander 12.25.2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep

Well I'm only up to Amazing Grace, but I'm absolutely blasting it and the sound is pretty damn crystal so far The best I've ever heard Fahey. Oh god this such a fantastic record! So yeah, barring loudness issues mysteriously cropping up later on in the record (I'll get back to you about that), I recommend it. Also, the packaging is completely beautiful. Thick card and a full reproduction of all Fahey's art, including the art book insert he drew for it. Beautiful.

SuperCreep 12.25.2009 08:03 AM

sweet! sounds like it's worth the price with all the reproductions. i'm definitely getting it over the weekend. hopefully they'll do more fahey records soon. other than this one, i only ever find his first christmas album in shops.

The Earl Of Slander 12.25.2009 08:41 AM

^You should. I've listened to the whole first LP now, and it is GOLD! As a little side note though, I would temper that by saying that I know sweet fuck all about audio, so take my enthusiasm as wholly uninformed.

Oh also, got this for Christmas:

Amazing! It's Schlippenbach and a handful of other modern avant jazz greats doing a 3+ hour concert where they beast through the entire Monk songbook like total madmen, just like BAM BAM BAM through each tune in these really unusual arrangements. It's fantastic, but pretty deranged after a while.

Edit: Oh, and can I point out that, on the evidence of the above gift, my mum is likely much cooler that yours.

youthoftomorrow 12.25.2009 03:47 PM

wooo metal.

SYRFox 12.26.2009 03:28 PM

just bought three new cds:

Broadcast & The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults Of The Radio Age

Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind

Hudson Mohawke - Butter
(gotta love this artwork :D)

Death & the Maiden 12.27.2009 10:22 PM

Boredoms - Pop Tatari

Malice Mizer - Memoire

a-p a. niemi 12.29.2009 09:40 AM

Boris: Flood

V/A: Gothenburg 84

The Del-Byzanteens: Lies to Live By

And I just ordered the Mats Gustafsson 3x7" duo box set from iDEAL (http://matsgus.com/archives/773)