Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

EVOLghost 10.14.2015 09:54 AM

The Soup Nazi 10.14.2015 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost

MEGATONIC album, the expanded 2CD edish in particular.

Severian 10.14.2015 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
I looked up some shit in discogs and came up with nut in.

and i like early Sebadoh.

I like early Sebadoh and late Sebadoh and whatever passes for middle-aged Sebadoh.

I just like Sebadoh.

Genteel Death 10.14.2015 03:33 PM

I was listening to ''Bakesale'' last night thinking how much that record misses Gaffney's songwriting. FAGGOTS!!!

Severian 10.14.2015 04:02 PM

Severian 10.14.2015 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I was listening to ''Bakesale'' last night thinking how much that record misses Gaffney's songwriting. FAGGOTS!!!

Harmacy > Bakesale anyway.

The Soup Nazi 10.14.2015 04:15 PM

noisereductions 10.14.2015 09:12 PM

Harmacy is the best!!

noisereductions 10.14.2015 09:42 PM

Harmacy, the sebadoh, and smash yr head are my favs

Rob Instigator 10.15.2015 08:36 AM

BUBBLE & SCRAPE is #1
Smash Yr Head on the Punk Rock is #2

evollove 10.15.2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Harmacy > Bakesale anyway.

Licence, Amused and Dramamine are killer.

But I agree. Props to "On Fire" where Barlow finally writes a heart-on-my-sleeve song that doesn't make me gag. Otherwise, only 6 duds. Usually, there are only 6 good ones.

But I really like the good ones. Seb, for me, is a "best-of" band. I go through the albums, pick out my favorites and end up with an amazing listen. But I'm often frustrated trying to listen to the albums themselves all the way through, except maybe Harmacy.

Rob Instigator 10.15.2015 10:15 AM

https://youtu.be/4Ns5wzSmVWM

BUBBLE & SCRAPE!!!!!

fucking love this album. FLOOD is such a killer closing track

Severian 10.15.2015 03:12 PM

Yeah, I get hung up on Bubble & Scrape a LOT. I always seem to forget how absolutely fucking brilliant that album is, and I tend to leave it out of discussions of my favorite Sebadoh albums because I'm usually focusing on III and Harmacy.

But Bubble is just awesome. I'm going to listen to it now in fact.

Severian 10.15.2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Licence, Amused and Dramamine are killer.

But I agree. Props to "On Fire" where Barlow finally writes a heart-on-my-sleeve song that doesn't make me gag. Otherwise, only 6 duds. Usually, there are only 6 good ones.

But I really like the good ones. Seb, for me, is a "best-of" band. I go through the albums, pick out my favorites and end up with an amazing listen. But I'm often frustrated trying to listen to the albums themselves all the way through, except maybe Harmacy.

I've always loved "Not Too Amused" ... people love to give Bakesale crap for being the easy answer, the poppy mainstream favorite... the Sebadoh album for people who wish Sebadoh sounded more like Pavement... etc.

But "Not too Amused" comes right out of hell, like some scalding venomous Steve Albini track. I love the build. Poppy or not, Bakesale is an alternative rock favorite for very good reasons.

I get what you mean about Sebadoh being more of a "best of" thing for you. I think I used to feel that way too, until I really dug into the early stuff.

Their music is different enough from album to album that I rarely skip around, or stop an album to put another one in. That's the kind of thing I do with Guided by Voices.. a great band, no matter how conventional and predictable they've become... but one that certainly didn't need to release as many albums as they did.

I have the most fun with GbV when I'm listening to Live from Austin, TX or Human Amusement at Hourly Rates or some playlist full of short EP's and singles. There are very few GbV albums that I ever listen to from start to finish.

Severian 10.15.2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
what about THE SEBADOH? that's a good album too. nobody liked it then but it's got lots of goods songs.

I agree, but the world doesn't.

And I'm not sure how reliable I am, because I enjoyed the hell out of Defend Yourself.

evollove 10.15.2015 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Their music is different enough from album to album that I rarely skip around.

Hm. I just see two phases, really: early lo-fi period and then the rest. I guess the production varies, but I don't think the composition or playing does. I'm usually hard pressed to say which song is which album. But I can see how people like the bulk of their stuff, especially if I consider the warm associative memories which often accompany the listening.

Mortte Jousimo 10.18.2015 12:36 AM

I have never been very much in Sebadoh or Lou Barlow, but Dumb Numbers-album is quite good. This is still the greatest song to me that came year 2013:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GABWRSV4saE

noisereductions 10.19.2015 08:16 PM

Yeah qotsa rules

noisereductions 10.19.2015 08:53 PM

That album is great.

But i have sebadoh on fire in my head still...

noisereductions 10.19.2015 10:03 PM

The Mollusk is my fav Ween album for sure.

Folk Implosion's One Part Lullaby is my fav of theirs. Fucking "Mechanical Man."