Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Severian 08.09.2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
lolyeats

Goddammit

!@#$%! 08.09.2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Goddammit

ha ha ha ha

!@#$%! 08.17.2017 10:04 AM

today im trying to get started on robert burton's anatomy of melancholy

a very readable online edition can be found here: http://www.exclassics.com/anatomy/anatint.htm

the one i found on gutenberg is a mess, all words jumbled on the page, at least the kindle version. this one is better, the pdf version is more than decent.

not sure i'll manage to read it but have to give it a shot...

h8kurdt 08.17.2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

I have this on my shelf, but have never read. Let me know what you think when you're done.

I needs to reads more books.

Honestly, it was brilliant. I suspect Rob might be into this one too.

I'm now on this absolute beast of a book

It's nearly a 1000 pages and only covers the Beatles up to 1962. One for the geeks is putting it lightly! Good read so far, mind.

Also, never has the saying 'don't judge a book by its cover' ever been more apt than in this one. Who the fuck thought that was a decent cover. You can go on microsoft word and come up with a better cover than that.

ilduclo 08.17.2017 01:50 PM

wow, you'd reallly have to be into the Beatles to go there (excludes me, for sure, I wouldn't devote 10 minutes to them)

demonrail666 08.17.2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Honestly, it was brilliant. I suspect Rob might be into this one too.

I'm now on this absolute beast of a book

It's nearly a 1000 pages and only covers the Beatles up to 1962. One for the geeks is putting it lightly! Good read so far, mind.

Also, never has the saying 'don't judge a book by its cover' ever been more apt than in this one. Who the fuck thought that was a decent cover. You can go on microsoft word and come up with a better cover than that.

Do Liverpudlians get a discount on books about The Beatles?

evollove 08.17.2017 02:52 PM

I'm almost certain I saw that at the library with a different cover.

Not sure why I didn't pick it up. It was free after all.

Oh yeah. 1000 pages.

dirty bunny 08.17.2017 05:01 PM

I just finished a Dick Francis novel. Not sure what I'll read next.

h8kurdt 08.18.2017 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Do Liverpudlians get a discount on books about The Beatles?

No. They're expected to have all the knowledge about them ingrained before their 5th birthday.

Quote:

wow, you'd reallly have to be into the Beatles to go there (excludes me, for sure, I wouldn't devote 10 minutes to them)

Funny thing is there's an extended edition that's 1700 pages. That's taking it a tad too far for me.

Rob Instigator 08.24.2017 10:33 AM

Read Neil deGrasse Tyson's new book, Astrophysics for People In a Hurry

https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2017/...rophysics.html

Severian 08.24.2017 11:12 AM

I'd read the fuck out of that Beatles book. Never heard of it before. Is there a second volume that covers their pop culture domination? Or, like, the first three years of it?

Been a while since I had a good Beatles read. Love me a Beatles book.

ilduclo 08.29.2017 11:36 AM

not reading any Game of Thrones!

just finished Exit Ghost. A bit scattered about, but Roth is sure a commander of the language.

h8kurdt 08.29.2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

I'd read the fuck out of that Beatles book. Never heard of it before. Is there a second volume that covers their pop culture domination? Or, like, the first three years of it?

Been a while since I had a good Beatles read. Love me a Beatles book.

It's part of a trilogy and he's still writing the second one. I was pretty peeved to find that it's "expected" to come out in 2020 -_- He said he reckons he'll take that one from 1963-67

I've nearly finished this one now and honestly, it might as well be seen as the last word on the Beatles. No one is gonna top the amount of depth, research, myth destroying as has gone on in this book.

I've just got past Stuart Sutcliffe's death which was pretty heartbreaking. Paul just comes across as a total cunt over his treatment of Stuart.

LifeDistortion 09.03.2017 02:30 PM

Started Joe Hill's The Fireman yesterday. Definitely been on that Joe Hill kick the past few months with Locke & Key, I've been so focused on reading GNs though its been awhile since I've read a novel without the graphics.

Severian 09.04.2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
It's part of a trilogy and he's still writing the second one. I was pretty peeved to find that it's "expected" to come out in 2020 -_- He said he reckons he'll take that one from 1963-67

I've nearly finished this one now and honestly, it might as well be seen as the last word on the Beatles. No one is gonna top the amount of depth, research, myth destroying as has gone on in this book.

I've just got past Stuart Sutcliffe's death which was pretty heartbreaking. Paul just comes across as a total cunt over his treatment of Stuart.

Aw man I really want to read it now but just started two new books that I'm determined to finish. I'm more interested in the next phase, but I enjoy reading about the Beatles period.

Also, Paul was a major cunt a lot of the time, it seems. Don't you think? John gets the cunt treatment most, but Paul was not all sunshine and puppy songs. He was a bit of a precious little shit, and control freak.

Remember in the Anthology film? There's one scene where Paul and George are under a tree, and Paul is regaling the interviewer with some tales from this period or that, and kind of being passive aggressive, and George just sits there and quietly strums his guitar and doesn't say a Fucking word. Tension is palpable. Harrison had spent a lifetime putting up with the guy's shit, and was just not even Fucking around anymore. What an uncomfortable series that was. Haha.

tesla69 09.04.2017 07:05 PM

The Goldseekers - W. R. Burnett

adult story of men going to look for gold in the Yukon

Rob Instigator 09.14.2017 10:18 AM

Finished Terence McKenna's Food Of The Gods. read it back in 1992, and read it again.

http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2017/0...expansion.html

!@#$%! 09.14.2017 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Finished Terence McKenna's Food Of The Gods. read it back in 1992, and read it again.

http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2017/0...expansion.html

ha ha, me too! (not now, but then)

coffee and sugar ruined us all, eh?

ps- great review!

Rob Instigator 09.14.2017 10:49 AM

thnx!

I am myself a caffeine addict (in the AM). used to be a sugar addict. used to be tobacco addict.

!@#$%! 09.14.2017 11:01 AM

me too with the tobaccker. it actually helps with ADD/concentration/coffee business. lets your park yourself in front of a dull task the whole day! but not no more...

btw did you know (learned this from ken burns) the drink of choice of the civil war was coffee? every soldier drank something like 1/2 a gallon a day (this precision im not certain about... would have to rewatch). but explains a lot, huh?

i still drink coffee mornings and post-lunch. with great suspicion though.