Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

!@#$%! 07.15.2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
My mother and my girlfriend are both super into all of this stuff. From kombucha to sauerkraut. Fermenting shit, talkin' bout the microbiome. Me, I can't take a sip of kombucha without actually vomiting. :(

fermentin' makes for good eatin'

fuk kombucha,i think it can give you botulism ha ha. but a good cheese. a good beer. a good funky soy sauce. a fish sauce. a really good yogurt (i like siggy). (i also like the "greek" one with whole fat, it's like, 4%). eat your microbes. for mental health. a well-made bread. toasted, with butter and marmite.

i forgot to mention yeasts earlier but fukin a yeasts! the yeasts that make laphroaig!

Rob Instigator 07.17.2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you said you liked science!

so what do you think about a biomass-centered technology? i mean where all of our products are biologicals--from plastics to to ceramic additives to fractal antennas. no or little mining, no or little industrial processing like, say, bleaching paper-- everything via bacteria/fungus/prokaryote. large animal too-- back to wools etc instead of synthetic fibers (not saying it has to be sheep, but i could be grown in agae vats. say: neosilks.)

DAMMIT MAN

It will be myceleal life forms engineered to cosntruct our "plastics" and "wood" and steel" but all biodegradable and awesome

Rob Instigator 07.17.2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

I read a really horrifying book once about microbial life run amok and essentially invading humanity through airborne spores that changed our biological makeup and "assimilated" us into its mass of spores and greenery. Fucking bloody terrifying.

!

GREG BEAR - Blood Music. cyberpunk deliciousness about the consequences of granting bacterial life sentience and consciousness.

Rob Instigator 07.17.2017 08:37 AM

Humans by weight are about 30-40% microbes living on our skin, in our guts, and everywhere else they can hang on to.

Kombucha is weaksauce alcohol, fermented tea and juice. fucking jail-booze. I hate it. tastes like vinegared tea. fucking horrible..

In Puerto Rico they sell a weakly alcoholic drink called Mavi (Mabi?) that you can find homemeade at Agua Fresca stands. It gives you a calm little buzz, and it is delicious.

BTW, eating microbes (as in microbiotic yogurt, or kombucha) does not help introduce beneficial shit to you at all. your stomach acids will destroy them all befroe you can "absorb" or "utilize" the microbes. They are feeding you all a bunch of lies!!!

!@#$%! 07.17.2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Humans by weight are about 30-40% microbes living on our skin, in our guts, and everywhere else they can hang on to.

Kombucha is weaksauce alcohol, fermented tea and juice. fucking jail-booze. I hate it. tastes like vinegared tea. fucking horrible..

In Puerto Rico they sell a weakly alcoholic drink called Mavi (Mabi?) that you can find homemeade at Agua Fresca stands. It gives you a calm little buzz, and it is delicious.

BTW, eating microbes (as in microbiotic yogurt, or kombucha) does not help introduce beneficial shit to you at all. your stomach acids will destroy them all befroe you can "absorb" or "utilize" the microbes. They are feeding you all a bunch of lies!!!

awesome posts above esp. the mycelial one but do you know it's been shown by research that even eating "inactive" yogurt cultures is good for you? so basically it's not about eating "live" microbes but just microbe bodies that's good for you. so it's not really about colonizing your intestines with the stuff but rather giving them some strangeness to entertain themselves--that's what counts it seems.

eta: start here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20403231, i'll look for more links

and yeah it looks like DEAD CACA IS THE BEST

Severian 07.17.2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

GREG BEAR - Blood Music. cyberpunk deliciousness about the consequences of granting bacterial life sentience and consciousness.

I like Greg Bear, but I was actually talking about ANNIHILATION/AUTHORITY/ACCEPTANCE ya goofball. I thought for sure you'd pick up on that. ;)

Rob Instigator 08.07.2017 03:49 PM

Finished Gustav Herling's account of his time in Soviet forced labor prison during WWII. A World Apart

https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2017/...ag-prison.html

tesla69 08.07.2017 05:10 PM

Quote:

this has been a great read multiple times for me...I think I checked it out because Rudy Rucker talked about this in Forced Exposure #17 and it is also in Glenn Branca's cyberpunk list
http://www.glennbranca.com/cyber.html...I suspect the science behind the book is somewhat past date but conceptually it is not dated.

Have you ever read Mick Farren?

EDIT-jeez 1986 was a good year
BLOOD MUSIC - Greg Bear
THE GLASS HAMMER - K.W. Jeter
DAD'S NUKE - Marc Laidlaw(pb, used)$8.00
ECLIPSE - John Shirley(pb) $15.00
SCHISMATRIX - Bruce Sterling
IN THE DRIFT - Michael Swanwick(pb) $7.00

h8kurdt 08.08.2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Finished Gustav Herling's account of his time in Soviet forced labor prison during WWII. A World Apart

https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2017/...ag-prison.html

Was it me who recommended this to you? Think it was. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. If enjoyed is the right word.

The chapter where he's talking reading a smuggled copy of The House Of The Dead was particularly powerful for me.

Rob Instigator 08.08.2017 11:08 AM

It was. Thanks for the recommendation. brutal stuff.

!@#$%! 08.08.2017 11:50 AM

oh, thanks for this guys!

h8kurdt 08.08.2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

It was. Thanks for the recommendation. brutal stuff.

Really is. I'm sure you were the same in wondering how the fuck do you keep going day after day.

That bit where he talks about a guy who kept counting down the days left til he was free. He'd tell everyone about it then when the day came he was ordered to the, I don't know what you'd call them, wardens office who decided to add another 5 years onto the 10 years he had just done.

If I remember rightly he just goes back to the bunks and his heart just gives out and dies. Man, that was just awful.

h8kurdt 08.08.2017 12:44 PM

Currently reading this. It gets real freakin heavy at points but it's fascinating.

Severian 08.08.2017 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Currently reading this. It gets real freakin heavy at points but it's fascinating.

I have this on my shelf, but have never read. Let me know what you think when you're done.

I needs to reads more books.

!@#$%! 08.08.2017 03:09 PM

as it is im reading a bunch of websites on trading financial instruments

it's near the top of the bull market and the shit's gonna hit the fan not right now but it's coming

i wanna be ready ready ready

evollove 08.08.2017 05:23 PM

What is this poem?

English dude.

Forget when, although pre-20th Century.

Anyway, dude is riding to see his lover. He picks up his pace because it suddenly occurs to him that she could be dead. Or dying. I forget. That's about it.

Anyone know what the fuck I'm thinking of? It's driving me nuts.

!@#$%! 08.08.2017 05:29 PM

not keats is it?

i vaguely remember hold up

!@#$%! 08.08.2017 11:07 PM

dammit, it;s a mental contagion now

give us a clue? any clue?

evollove 08.09.2017 06:53 AM

I think I gave you all the clues I can.

I'm sure I read it in high school. A short poem.

Not Keats. This seemed lighter. A Cavalier poet?

Maybe I dreamed it.

Rob Instigator 08.09.2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Really is. I'm sure you were the same in wondering how the fuck do you keep going day after day.

That bit where he talks about a guy who kept counting down the days left til he was free. He'd tell everyone about it then when the day came he was ordered to the, I don't know what you'd call them, wardens office who decided to add another 5 years onto the 10 years he had just done.

If I remember rightly he just goes back to the bunks and his heart just gives out and dies. Man, that was just awful.

Indeed.

The part towards the end where he is sent along with all the Poles that were available to a waiting area where ten or more dead were taken out every morning? horror. the way he describes how people would die solely from being stepped on by people trying to make their way to the shit/piss bucket? That theer were several dozen men in a room 6 x 8 meters? how he crushed a man's face in, killing him in the process, purely by accident? fuck.