Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

The Soup Nazi 05.21.2015 03:04 PM

The Soup Nazi 05.21.2015 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
You'll all have to stop me if I ever write anything that's "poorly researched." I write brief summaries of albums-- mostly from artists that I know quite well-- and I post them informally on an internet discussion board, along with a number of people who do the exact same thing.

I don't *research* every entry I make in the "What Are You Listening to?" thread. In fact, I don't research any of them. Why would I? How much time do you think I have, Genteel, to put into SYG posts?

I've made a living doing archival, observational, demographic/social and scientific research, and I'm damn good at it.
Are you sure you don't mean "fact-checking"... Still, pretty asinine, but at least I can imagine a scenario in which what you're saying might be true.

Next time I talk about why I like MBDTF more than The College Dropout, I'll be sure to include APA formatted citations of peer reviewed journal entries that provide supporting evidence for my arguments. Hopefully this will prove that I'm not just, y'know, writing whatever pops into my head (which of course, I am).

Severian 05.21.2015 07:54 PM

Ugh. I can't believe I'm even replying to your bating & bullshit. I know damn well that you just like fucking with me.

Is it ok with everyone if I go ahead and post whatever I want to post? I don't feel like stopping because anyone thinks it's dumb. I'm not even sure what specific posts your bitching about... I don't post fucking *reviews*

Anyway if you don't like, feel free to not read it.

!@#$%! 05.21.2015 08:16 PM

but instead of being a whole high school class it's just 4 people

brilliant

Severian 05.21.2015 08:47 PM

Hey, I'm retracting my comments, so update your count.

I'm listening to this, by the way.

!@#$%! 05.21.2015 10:50 PM

Quote:

Hey, I'm retracting my comments, so update your count.

I'm listening to this, by the way.

i demand more journalistic clichés and tedious generalizations, por favor.

i've never found much usefulness in posts with only picture covers-- i don't know what the fuck they stand for or what they're trying to say.

so, kindly continue. at least a couple of us will read while others fume.

btw this doesn't mean i agree with everything you say, but talk is more entertaining than record cover copypasta.

Severian 05.22.2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i demand more journalistic clichés and tedious generalizations, por favor.

i've never found much usefulness in posts with only picture covers-- i don't know what the fuck they stand for or what they're trying to say.

so, kindly continue. at least a couple of us will read while others fume.

btw this doesn't mean i agree with everything you say, but talk is more entertaining than record cover copypasta.

More beat shit. This time from Japan. And despite being almost indistinguishable from beat music from anywhere else, it's a decent, satisfying listen.

Preview it on Spotify or the Cold Busted website. If you want to.

Severian 05.22.2015 07:29 AM

Now this

... (it's Aphex Twin)

rebeccagotcursedout 05.22.2015 12:27 PM

it's FX twin

tartar mustard cocktail - do the salsa!!

bob Dylan - Nashville skyline

h8kurdt 05.22.2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

I've had this stuck in my head all fucking day because of this picture! Twat.

greenlight 05.22.2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Jim O'Rourke - Simple Songs

It's like going back in time. From the opening chords of the first track, the similarities between this album and Jim's "dumb pop" experiments, Insignificance & Eureka, is uncanny. And like those albums, the poured on sentiment and melancholy of the music might as well be sincere, because even though we all fucking know better, Jim O'Rourke is just too good at this shit, and the songs end up breaking your heart anyway.

Possible album of the year contender.

cheers for the reminder! new Jim O'Rourke's album! nice.

rebeccagotcursedout 05.22.2015 01:43 PM

Jim O'Rourke and Kermit the frog. who knew? together finally!!!!!

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2015 02:03 PM

Quote:

Rob Instigator 05.22.2015 02:10 PM

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2015 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Well, mine came eight years earlier. Just sayin'.
:D

!@#$%! 05.22.2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

yes, exactly my point.

sort of reminds me of people who travel to places so they can take pictures.

or the soldiers in that hilarious godard movie, "les carabiniers", where they show their wives a bunch of postcards

that someone post a picture of a cover of a record tells me absolutely nothing about that record except that a person just posted a picture of its cover on a forum. might be great, might be shit, might not even have been heard.

i.e., useless. like a facebook status update. "wearing checkered socks today."

Rob Instigator 05.22.2015 02:52 PM

"it wasn't a glove originally, believe me!"

!@#$%! 05.22.2015 02:52 PM

btw, im wearing no socks.

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2015 03:14 PM

Quote:

might be great, might be shit

There's this new thingumybob called The Googles - you can just drag and drop the image into this page and you'll most likely know what the dealie-o is. Yes, it's nice when the post includes a comment about the record, as long as it's AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT (the rarest element in the universe) AND NOT SOME EXCRUCIATINGLY ENDLESS GODDAMN BABBLE WHICH DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE JACK SHIT TO ANYTHING.

Make every sentence matter in order to make a compelling point and then I'll give a flying fuck. Probably.

!@#$%! 05.22.2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
There's this new thingumybob called The Googles - you can just drag and drop the image into this page and you'll most likely know what the dealie-o is. Yes, it's nice when the post includes a comment about the record, as long as it's AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT (the rarest element in the universe) AND NOT SOME EXCRUCIATINGLY ENDLESS GODDAMN BABBLE WHICH DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE JACK SHIT TO ANYTHING.

Make every sentence matter in order to make a compelling point and then I'll give a flying fuck. Probably.

if one should only speak when uttering original thoughts then everyone needs to shut the fuck up right now and then forever

but that's not practical is it?

so i'd rather have babble from people i know than a ritualistic display of pokemon cards-- just my preference.

status update: STATING A PREFERENCE

STATUS UPDATE: SITTING