Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Severian 04.26.2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

More latter-day stuff in that set than I would have predicted myself after reading my own rant about how old Deerhoof > new Deerhoof, but all their albums have high points. Surprisingly, Mothball the Fleet is one of my favorite songs of their career, despite the fact that it's on one of my least favorite albums.

Galaxist always kills me, though. I know it's not the subversive, noisy Deerhoof I fell in love with, but it's just a great great song.

Anyway. Fuck, everyone should own Reveille. Everyone.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 04.27.2015 01:23 AM

Fucking brilliant. I can't stop listening to Sol Invictus. Album of the year (pun intended).

A Thousand Threads 04.27.2015 05:40 AM

friend came back from istanbul with some records.
been spinning these over the weekend.

evollove 04.27.2015 08:10 AM

^ Cool. If we're feeling adventurous:

Takeshi Terauchi And Bunnys - Seichô Takeuchi Bushi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbSJ0HVwpzc

Japanese surf rock from the 60s. The guitar work is amazing. Dude taught Polvo a thing or two, perhaps.

-----

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Anyway. Fuck, everyone should own Reveille. Everyone.

That's the only one I absorbed, and it had been in the back of my mind to investigate further. Thanks so much for the list. Something of a relief to be "done" with a band, y'know? There's so much to investigate, it just feels tidy to put one more band under my belt and continue on my journey.

a baby in 1980 04.27.2015 09:14 PM

The Soup Nazi 04.28.2015 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a baby in 1980

ALL RIGHT! This thread needed some fuckin' SONGS! Bitchen album.

greenlight 04.29.2015 02:41 PM

me. 04.29.2015 03:01 PM

!@#$%! 04.29.2015 04:17 PM

LITTLE FREDDIE KING - Gotta Walk With Da King (2010)

old man music from new orleans. CHICKEN DANCE is the best song ever ha ha ha

The Soup Nazi 04.30.2015 04:20 PM

This is the shit:

Bytor Peltor 04.30.2015 05:58 PM

guest 05.03.2015 01:13 AM

guest 05.03.2015 09:10 AM

a masterpiece

evollove 05.04.2015 02:52 PM

Is LA Woman generally regarded as a bad Doors album, or do I just not like the Doors? Both?

Also tried the Who again this weekend. Sat down with a compilation called Then and Now. Still don't like them and I can't figure out why not. Great rhythm section, cool guitars, soulful enough vocalist. Tunes are alright. I'm not sure why the bore the living shit out of me, but they do. Also the early records have awful production, even polished remastered versions.

They don't suck but I don't like them and listening to this fucking thing made me run quick to some Kinks, who had better songs and were more British.

Ghostchase 05.04.2015 04:47 PM

Severian 05.04.2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Is LA Woman generally regarded as a bad Doors album, or do I just not like the Doors? Both?

Also tried the Who again this weekend. Sat down with a compilation called Then and Now. Still don't like them and I can't figure out why not. Great rhythm section, cool guitars, soulful enough vocalist. Tunes are alright. I'm not sure why the bore the living shit out of me, but they do. Also the early records have awful production, even polished remastered versions.

They don't suck but I don't like them and listening to this fucking thing made me run quick to some Kinks, who had better songs and were more British.

The Who Sell Out is the only album I like.
Otherwise, they're only slightly better than Zeppelin.

For me it's all about The Kinks, late '60s Rolling Stones, and the Beatles. The Who were nowhere near as edgy as the Stones, and nowhere near as smart and creative as the Kinks and Beatles. I've never really understood the appeal, though Keith Moon was tremendous talent.

rebeccagotcursedout 05.04.2015 05:58 PM

LA Women is a keeper once you get warmed up to it. totally turned me off for years besides the singles. I just thought it was rambling blooze rock but it grows on you. there's cool mysterious Doors sounds on there if you give it time. extended driving grooves with drunk Jim keeping you company. not that bad, but could be better. esp if yr behind the wheel.

Shh. don't tell but, im kinda a Doors fan.

!@#$%! 05.04.2015 06:08 PM

Quote:

they're only slightly better than Zeppelin.

jeezus h. apechrist, that's either pure lunacy or complete affectation

how can you...

i just don't understand. i don't.

from their first album to physical graffiti they blew everyone and everything out of the water

they practically defined the 70s

yes, they may have gone down in flames in their later period but COME ON.

EARS.

Severian 05.04.2015 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
jeezus h. apechrist, that's either pure lunacy or complete affectation

how can you...

i just don't understand. i don't.

from their first album to physical graffiti they blew everyone and everything out of the water

they practically defined the 70s

yes, they may have gone down in flames in their later period but COME ON.

EARS.

I'm sorry, man. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. The 70s belonged to Can, Wire, Tom Waits, Joy Division, Lou Reed, The Ramones... Lots of bands. Not Led Zeppelin. Not for me anyway.

!@#$%! 05.04.2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, man. We're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. The 70s belonged to Can, Wire, Tom Waits, Joy Division, Lou Reed, The Ramones... Lots of bands. Not Led Zeppelin. Not for me anyway.

the period i mentioned covers 69 to 75. those were their years.

and they embodied both the glory and the excesses of that time

lou = sure fine but more of a troubador
can = brilliant but in their own planet
wire = fine if you like them, but they're from later. more "pre-80s" than "the 60s in overdrive".
the ramones = JOHNNY RAMONE FUCKING WORSHIPPED JIMMY PAGE
joy division = LATE 70s when zep had already turned to shit, besides *no fucking way*

get yourself a fat lp of led zeppelin's first album turn the amp LOUD drop that needle and listen to what they did to the blues with it. that album is a lot of blues covers, but DAT SOUND. who else can make it? !!!

don't listen to it in a miserable ipod with shit headphones