Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Severian 03.30.2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the new lightning bolt (FANTASY EMPIRE)

IT'S SO FUCKING SPECTACULARLY GOOD

they lost me with earthly delights which while as skillfull as ever i found a bit emotionally too dark/heavy for me. what i always had loved about them was that while it was an intense sound there was always a joy and freewheeling energy there and that was gone from earthly delights-- maybe i misheard, maybe it was the timing, who the fuck knows. i should give it a relisten.

in fantasy empire the speed is maybe slightly slower (age happens) but their ability to squeeze out insane noise from their instrument has multiplied manyfold (age happens too). holy fuck they are destroying my brain and i am happy. thank you thank you thank you. i have waited so long for this.

I'm really glad to see that the record's striking such a chord with long time fans. I'm not sure I've ever seen you get so excited about ... anything!

I'm pretty damn pleased myself. I am dying to see them play this shit live. It's been years.

Genteel Death 03.30.2015 03:17 PM

Campingsex - 1914!

Thurston once said this record was a huge influence on Sonic Youth, apparently. I've just discovered them this weekend and I can't stop playing it on my DVD player. I've been looking to buy a copy of it on the web but I can't find a reasonably priced copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoyGc27BN-E

!@#$%! 03.30.2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I'm really glad to see that the record's striking such a chord with long time fans. I'm not sure I've ever seen you get so excited about ... anything!

ha ha, you should look at the food thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I'm pretty damn pleased myself. I am dying to see them play this shit live. It's been years.

i have no idea if they'll be anywhere near me -- i'll jsut hope for another video like the power of salad & milkshakes

Mortte Jousimo 03.31.2015 08:59 AM

Fleetwood Mac: Then Play On

JayTemp 04.01.2015 01:52 PM

Kim Gordon - Girl In A Band (audiobook)

greenlight 04.01.2015 05:06 PM

Rrose - Having Never Written A Note For Percussion

Lawrence English - Wilderness Of Mirrors

greenlight 04.01.2015 05:06 PM

still haven't checked new Lightning Bolt. probably will listen to it over the wknd.

Mortte Jousimo 04.02.2015 10:41 AM

First five albums of Jefferson Airplane. Grace is amazing!

Rob Instigator 04.02.2015 11:06 AM

listened to all these last night as I read.

demonrail666 04.02.2015 02:30 PM

Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief

Richard and Linda Thompson - I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight

The Soup Nazi 04.02.2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Fuck yeah! Now we're cooking with gas!

The Soup Nazi 04.02.2015 06:32 PM

Mortte Jousimo 04.03.2015 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief

Funny, I am just reading a book of progrock (first in Finnish) where this album is also mentioned as a kind of "preprog"-album. Going to listen this, there is also Familys Music In a Doll´s House mentioned that I have thought to listen for a long time.

hirsute_biped 04.03.2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Fuck yeah! Now we're cooking with gas!

Solid Gold in my book. This one has one of my favorite songs ever

A Sailor's Life slays me every time, guaranteed

whorefrost 04.03.2015 12:19 PM

An Oneohtrix Point Never 7" with locked grooves called ADD, I've been listening for at least an hour, just skipping about different grooves whilst washing the dishes and such

whorefrost 04.03.2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost
An Oneohtrix Point Never 7" with locked grooves called ADD, I've been listening for at least an hour, just skipping about different grooves whilst washing the dishes and such

Update: still listening to this damn thing. Has to be the best value £2.99 7" I ever bought.

Torn Curtain 04.03.2015 04:32 PM

Siouxsie on MTV's 120 minutes (1991)

EDIT: this is pretty boring actually.

Severian 04.03.2015 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whorefrost

Sounds pretty kickass. I'll keep an eye out for this one.

Bytor Peltor 04.03.2015 06:07 PM

rebeccagotcursedout 04.03.2015 06:13 PM

ok then. i'll check out that new lightning bolt