Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

Bytor Peltor 03.09.2015 03:22 PM

My Twilight Pilot - 555

confusion is next 03.09.2015 08:42 PM

Severian 03.10.2015 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confusion is next

I found this on CD last year and just about had a fit. Nobody seemed very impressed (CD's are so useless now that vinyl culture has been shown to effectively shame eager to please youngsters into spending tons of money at record stores), but I thought it was out of print.

Did you pick this up new or used? Vinyl or CD? Year of release?

_tunic_ 03.10.2015 12:48 PM

Babes In Toyland 2015-02-12, The Roxy, West Hollywood, CA

so sad they won't be playing anywhere near me :(
they still sound awesome!

Bytor Peltor 03.10.2015 04:15 PM

Rule Of Thirds - Fingerprints

confusion is next 03.10.2015 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I found this on CD last year and just about had a fit. Nobody seemed very impressed (CD's are so useless now that vinyl culture has been shown to effectively shame eager to please youngsters into spending tons of money at record stores), but I thought it was out of print.

Did you pick this up new or used? Vinyl or CD? Year of release?

i have a cd, i pick up new (but for listening i prefer a vinyl - i hope to have one) mine it's from 2005 - lilith ltd - made in russia.

the booklet it's in russian - a little story of no wave (and i understand a lot blahhh!), the song lyrics are
in english.

you still can find it in amazon.

The Soup Nazi 03.10.2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by confusion is next
mine it's from 2005 - lilith ltd - made in russia.

Yes, Lilith is a legitimate label and this is the reissue to get nowadays whether you want it on CD or vinyl. Nice reproduction of the original artwork. And, needless to say, one of the greatest "various artists" anthologies EVER.

Now look, let's cool it with the CD-bashing, alright? Fuckin' kids. Get off my lawn! :mad:

The Soup Nazi 03.10.2015 08:09 PM

Bytor Peltor 03.13.2015 07:05 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.14.2015 03:44 AM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.14.2015 04:06 AM

Genteel Death 03.14.2015 08:12 AM

The Field Report - Marigolden (Partisan, 2014) Bon Iver's old band... (Not an album I'd listen to of part of that Midwest explosion of really mediocre bands that have decided to emulate Dire Dtraits & '80s Springsteen. Admittedly they are less guilty of this really tacky musical approach than, say, The War on Drugs. The sound is closer to that of Hiss Golden Messenger... it's tolerable countrified rock with some spacey atmospherics that add texture and color to a really fucking boring trend in indie rock that needs to be taken out back and shot. Kurt Vile is the only one who came out of that with anything approaching an interesting sound, so let's SCRAP the idea of re-working the riff from “Walk of Life” in an appropriately “aughties” way.

Anyway, Field Report have two things going for them: 1) They're down one Justin Vernon 2) They sound way less like Dire Straits than many of the terribly misguided bands that make up their "scene." At least the record doesn't put me to sleep like TWOD, or make Coldplay seem like a refreshing and invigorating listening experience like Bon Iver.

Severian 03.14.2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
The Field Report - Marigolden (Partisan, 2014) Bon Iver's old band... (Not an album I'd listen to of part of that Midwest explosion of really mediocre bands that have decided to emulate Dire Dtraits & '80s Springsteen. Admittedly they are less guilty of this really tacky musical approach than, say, The War on Drugs. The sound is closer to that of Hiss Golden Messenger... it's tolerable countrified rock with some spacey atmospherics that add texture and color to a really fucking boring trend in indie rock that needs to be taken out back and shot. Kurt Vile is the only one who came out of that with anything approaching an interesting sound, so let's SCRAP the idea of re-working the riff from “Walk of Life” in an appropriately “aughties” way.

Anyway, Field Report have two things going for them: 1) They're down one Justin Vernon 2) They sound way less like Dire Straits than many of the terribly misguided bands that make up their "scene." At least the record doesn't put me to sleep like TWOD, or make Coldplay seem like a refreshing and invigorating listening experience like Bon Iver.

Yeah, there's nothing weird about this. Nothing at all.

Torn Curtain 03.14.2015 04:36 PM

Lady Lamb the Beekeeper - The nothing part II (Honey I'm Home Session)

confusion is next 03.14.2015 07:05 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.14.2015 08:45 PM

and now...

Severian 03.14.2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Severian is a strap-on dildo in Burroughs' Naked Lunch...

You flatter me, sir.

Bytor Peltor 03.14.2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

My first ever Alice purchase on cassette tape back when I was in 6th or 7th grade??? Such a fantastic live show......never understood why it was never released on CD here in the states???

Severian 03.14.2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Curious way to put it, considering "Steely Dan" was originally a strap-on dildo in Burroughs' Naked Lunch...

Yeah, it's weird. My father would only know that from a Steely Dan bio, if at all.

Pretty good sign Donald Fagan and Walter Becker have excellent taste.

I heard Can't Buy a Thrill the other day, and the lyrics of "Do it Again" sounded so strange and subterranean, considering they share air space with Air Supply and Journey on IHeartRadio.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 03.15.2015 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
My first ever Alice purchase on cassette tape back when I was in 5th or 6th grade??? Such a fantastic life show......never understood why it was never released on CD here in the states???

I've got the vinyl. I blare Only Women Bleed with no shame lol.

Was drinking beers and listening to records with my sound-guy buddy earlier tonight. He played this for me:

I played him MM.. Food by MF DOOM.