Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

!@#$%! 03.02.2015 08:09 PM

by magic fucking chance a random playlist out of my old server is playing right now ULTRAVOX's "hiroshima mon amour" which sounds like a mongrel child of kraftwerk and david bowie with a bad saxophone-- part terrible, part not terrible at all. i think some of it can be rescued.

==========

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
You know, I actually think this is kind of a "thing with me."

I am ashamed of my age. In more ways than I'm willing to admit. I'm ashamed of the fact that I have been roughly 5 years older than 85% of my co-workers over the last five years. I feel constantly guilty for how little I've accomplished in my life... so much of what I have accomplished has been purely for the sake of other people. And I'm ashamed that so few of the people that I've re-arranged my life for seem to be willing to even entertain the idea of supporting me (emotionally) while I pursue my own goals.

So while I wasn't truly slamming Steely Dan, and I was, more than anything, responding with self-deprecating remarks to Genteel's comment about gmku being old enough to be my father (which I suppose he is, and good on him for getting that far), I think it's true that I struggle with a covert and warped form of ageism that is a function of my own inability to feel content with myself or my life.

All I see is a big ticking clock.

I'm going through some shit right now. Sorry everyone.

yeah man that shame is the big killer. not a sense of shame, which is the healthy notion that we're neither omnipotent nor all-knowing, but the toxic shame that sez something is wrong with your being.

that shame will find an excuse to try to kill you with whatever tools at hand. it's your age today, it will be something else another day. too many miserable overachievers spend their life trying to shake that feeling away by being the greatest little boys ever. and they never can because that's not the way. it's the same feeling that drives most addicts.

don't let the fascism of [performance = love] get in the way of you iving your life with some fundamental peace and joy. which is your human right.

puke that poison. puke it!

now with your pardon i will go enjoy an evening of wine-drinking and fantastic underachieving with the people who love me for who i am-- yes, those people. poor things! i love them too. not much else required in life, really.

well, have fun now. now!

schizophrenicroom 03.03.2015 02:21 PM

shostakovich symphony no. 10 in e minor. it's fucking awesome.

Genteel Death 03.03.2015 04:50 PM

My comment wasn't a snide remark at gmku's age, I was just observing that Steely Dan are the sort of band appreciated by people who have been around for long enough to remember who they are. You're such a bunch of over-emotional pricks. Nevermind, nothing new there.

I'm listening to a bunch of songs by Home Blitz and JT IV.

The Soup Nazi 03.03.2015 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
Amen. Also, Soup Nazi has the best signature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
this was superhilarious & good writing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Yep. Love the greasy taco analogy.

The Soup Nazi 03.03.2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

What's with all the Dan-fuckin' going on around these parts lately?

Curious way to put it, considering "Steely Dan" was originally a strap-on dildo in Burroughs' Naked Lunch...

Genteel Death 03.03.2015 06:14 PM

Severian is a strap-on dildo in Burroughs' Naked Lunch...

!@#$%! 03.03.2015 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
My comment wasn't a snide remark at gmku's age, I was just observing that

WE KNEW THAT ALREADY.

i was listening to some jim o'rourke that sounds like a rework of pink floyd's great gig in the sky. ill explain this later.

The Soup Nazi 03.03.2015 10:45 PM

Quote:

by magic fucking chance a random playlist out of my old server is playing right now ULTRAVOX's "hiroshima mon amour" which sounds like a mongrel child of kraftwerk and david bowie with a bad saxophone-- part terrible, part not terrible at all. i think some of it can be rescued.

"Ultravox is a band too fundamentally uninteresting for anybody to save".
—Lester Bangs, on Brian Eno's production on some of the group's songs. :D

confusion is next 03.04.2015 04:13 AM

Genteel Death 03.04.2015 05:01 AM

Quote:

WE KNEW THAT ALREADY.

Yeah, it totally comes across that way.

Various - Neu Ist Zeit-Augsburg

gmku 03.04.2015 09:49 AM

I can empathize, Severian. I think many people can, actually! I feel like a great underachiever compared to many of my peers, often. Then other times I look back over the arc of a lifetime and I'm quite impressed with what I've been able to do, not least of which has been to make a long and productive career from a bachelor's in English and journalism! Not an easy field to make a lasting career in.

Also, I keep looking forward. At 60, I feel in many ways that I've only begun, and I intend to keep going for a long time to come. Like my golden retriever, I remain eternally optimistic.

Quote:

You know, I actually think this is kind of a "thing with me."

I am ashamed of my age. In more ways than I'm willing to admit. I'm ashamed of the fact that I have been roughly 5 years older than 85% of my co-workers over the last five years. I feel constantly guilty for how little I've accomplished in my life... so much of what I have accomplished has been purely for the sake of other people. And I'm ashamed that so few of the people that I've re-arranged my life for seem to be willing to even entertain the idea of supporting me (emotionally) while I pursue my own goals.

So while I wasn't truly slamming Steely Dan, and I was, more than anything, responding with self-deprecating remarks to Genteel's comment about gmku being old enough to be my father (which I suppose he is, and good on him for getting that far), I think it's true that I struggle with a covert and warped form of ageism that is a function of my own inability to feel content with myself or my life.

All I see is a big ticking clock.

I'm going through some shit right now. Sorry everyone.

rebeccagotcursedout 03.04.2015 11:23 PM

Pixes Surfer Rosa

just as good as ever

Genteel Death 03.05.2015 03:14 PM

A track by UUUUUU called ''Beauty'' from his ''Off the Xerophytic Blooming''. One of the most beautiful things to come out of a poster on this board, in my opinion. When Derek uploaded the EP on here or FB a few years ago (can't remember) I still hadn't realised what a talented musician he is, let alone his skills at recording himself so well. Totally deserving a proper release and a party to follow.

The Soup Nazi 03.06.2015 06:40 PM

Bytor Peltor 03.06.2015 06:50 PM

Listening to this on a cool but beautiful Friday evening getting ready to head to my daughters dance performance. Tonight I'm helping shoot video :)

rebeccagotcursedout 03.06.2015 10:38 PM

wonderful ass - prince

fuck sir mix alot or any songs about rumps and other total devotion to the ass.

Mortte Jousimo 03.07.2015 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I can empathize, Severian. I think many people can, actually! I feel like a great underachiever compared to many of my peers, often. Then other times I look back over the arc of a lifetime and I'm quite impressed with what I've been able to do, not least of which has been to make a long and productive career from a bachelor's in English and journalism! Not an easy field to make a lasting career in.

Also, I keep looking forward. At 60, I feel in many ways that I've only begun, and I intend to keep going for a long time to come. Like my golden retriever, I remain eternally optimistic.

I think one of the today´s people´s big problem seem to be (at least in the western countries) that everybody´s must achieve something big. I don´t think I have achieved anything real big but still I think I have had interesting life as this far. And I think there is still coming interesting things into my life and that´s enough to me.

_tunic_ 03.07.2015 07:35 AM

Take The Feelies Bowling (take them bowling)

it took me 35 minutes to realize that there still is a second drummer in the Feeleis

demonrail666 03.07.2015 12:10 PM

Grand Magus - The Hunt

Sometimes only power-metal will do.

confusion is next 03.08.2015 05:43 AM