Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you playing? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28352)

EVOLghost 11.15.2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
how about something like... EVOLghost

EVOLghost it is

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, except I didn't really pay any attention to any hype the game received, I played it and formed my own opinion and only after playing it did I see that "professional" reviewers (motivated by ad revenue) like the game. It's flat-out boring and shit, to me, there's nothing to it. It is such a mess of a game, it feels unfinished, etc.

most games today feel unfinished.or just flat out shitty.

atsonicpark 11.15.2009 08:26 PM

I don't play any new games aside from on the DS or from online arcades and shit. I will go to a friend's house and he'll be like "oh man I got Halo 6!!" and I'm like, "Can we just get on xbox live arcade and get something off of there?" And man, a lot of those games are fucking cool.

Castle Crashers and Braid and Cave Story all rule. Anyone ever play that new Contra game for the Wii? Fuck!

Toilet & Bowels 11.15.2009 08:27 PM

Quote:

Yeah, except I didn't really pay any attention to any hype the game received, I played it and formed my own opinion and only after playing it did I see that "professional" reviewers (motivated by ad revenue) like the game. It's flat-out boring and shit, to me, there's nothing to it. It is such a mess of a game, it feels unfinished, etc. If people like it for some weird reason, that's cool, I'd rather play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, Mother 3, Contact, and various other RPG's that came out around the same time. Just a personal preference.

have you played any other DQ games apart from VIII?

noisereductions 11.15.2009 08:49 PM

I really wanna make an English-translated GBA cart of Mother 3.

atsonicpark 11.15.2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
have you played any other DQ games apart from VIII?

Yep, played 7 (which is brilliant but a bit too long and takes a long time to get going but overall might be better than 8), 4 (amazing), and Rocket Slime (too easy but SUPER fun).

noisereductions 11.15.2009 09:06 PM

WTF is Rocket Slime?

I've only played Dragon Quest "1" (aka Dragon Warrior - got it for free with a subscription to Nintendo Power back in the day) and Dragon Quest VIII. Obviously DQ8 is awesome. But DQ1 is basically responsible for making me appreciate RPG's. Though I prefer NES/SNES Final Fantasies, I can't front on the importance of DQ1. And plan on picking up the GBC ports of the earlier DQ's.

atsonicpark 11.15.2009 09:27 PM

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.16.2009 12:09 AM

This game is just as much fun as I remember it being. Even moreso when drunk.

shabbray2.0 11.16.2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

I played it completely through a few years ago, and as far as I can remember it was a shitload of fun

Keeping It Simple 11.16.2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Yeah, except I didn't really pay any attention to any hype the game received, I played it and formed my own opinion and only after playing it did I see that "professional" reviewers (motivated by ad revenue) like the game. It's flat-out boring and shit, to me, there's nothing to it. It is such a mess of a game, it feels unfinished, etc. If people like it for some weird reason, that's cool, I'd rather play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, Mother 3, Contact, and various other RPG's that came out around the same time. Just a personal preference.

That's a criticism that can easily be tossed around like confetti over any game by people who personally dislike them. But criticising a game simply because it's universally acclaimed by reviewers and the public smacks of egocentric nonconformity. A painfully pretentious and lame way of trying to stand out from the crowd, like you're "radical" or something. I'm not saying that's what you're like, but there are people out there who are laughably like that.

pop punk will eat itself 11.17.2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
You guys are totally right. The onlything I liked about
12 was the new battle system which did get ol rather quickly. I dsnt finsh the game after realizing it took me close to 70 hours to get to the end

XII was so boring for me, up until the meeting with the Occurians, that is (around 70-hours into my playthrough); That's when things started to get fucking epic.

EVOLghost 11.17.2009 10:59 AM

Exactly! 70 fucking hours. Imean long games are cool n stuff but that game definately isn't worth the time

EVOLghost 11.17.2009 11:00 AM

Has anyone killed yiazmat? I read this guy just set up gambits and left it on over night to kill him

EVOLghost 11.17.2009 11:02 AM

I'm gonna dl a driver after I get windows 7 that let's me use teh ps3 controller on teh comp. Emus here I come!

EVOLghost 11.17.2009 11:02 AM

I'm gonna dl a driver after I get windows 7 that let's me use teh ps3 controller on teh comp. Emus here I come!

noisereductions 11.17.2009 11:20 AM

I'm sorry. All I've been doing is playing FF: Tactics Advance.

EVOLghost 11.17.2009 11:24 AM

Now that is def worth the time. I wish I had a gba to play it. I stll havethe game

chairman of the bored 11.17.2009 11:39 AM

I've been rocking Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. It's so good! Clank's time levels are cool and Ratchet's gameplay is pretty much perfected. Good fun.

The Earl Of Slander 11.17.2009 11:43 AM

Just had a big nostalgic Super Smash Brothers Melee session with a friend because we both have essays that urgently need doing. So fun!

atsonicpark 11.17.2009 01:14 PM

I'm Fox.

COME ON!

atsonicpark 11.17.2009 01:14 PM

Me and the old lady have been

chicka 11.17.2009 01:32 PM

wow she's already the old lady ASP? good for you

atsonicpark 11.17.2009 01:46 PM

True... let me rephrase

she's the new lady

haha

alteredcourse 11.17.2009 07:27 PM

Has anyone played Dragon Age yet? I was thinking of picking it up.

noisereductions 11.17.2009 08:34 PM

jon boy 11.17.2009 08:40 PM

modern warfare 2. lack of dedicated servers has made this one of the most rubbish games ever.

EVOLghost 11.17.2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
modern warfare 2. lack of dedicated servers has made this one of the most rubbish games ever.

are you playing on PS3? if you are....well there's your problem

Dr. Eugene Felikson 11.20.2009 04:33 AM

vulva 11.20.2009 04:44 AM

lately, nothing. I kind of want a new game but no idea what to get.

nicfit 11.20.2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse

I played a couple hours and I'm superhooked, but I need to wait till I have more "regular" free time coz the mythology and stories are simply too good to be read in a rush.
Gotta love Bioware, they're so good at writing their games they can make a faceless alien sexy.
Or maybe that's just me overgeeking.
Anyways, there's the collector edition with some extra stuff and some extras for ME2 too, yay.

in the meantime I'm playing Modern Warfare 2, which is simply too good in the sp campaign. I know it's short (I haven't completed it yet, btw), but I played MW1 till the other day coz I love to replay the missions I like the most (WAR PIG FTW) as a sort of stress-reliever, and a good portion of the missions are simply GREAT.

jon boy, supposedly there are a few workaround that can restore the "dedicated servers" situation, I'm not an online gamer so I can't tell wether those methods/news are rubbish or not, you might want to check those out googlin' or something (I don't have useful links to give you coz I read that in some italian forum).

why the hell I keep typin' "COZ"?

perhaps coz the instrumental base to Beyonce's "That's why you're beautiful" is the closest thing to a new Slint track in years.

youthoftomorrow 11.20.2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy

this has me pretty pissed off, too.

i set off the nuke last night, though. that was pretty awesome.

Derek 11.20.2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions

I seem to always play through this about once a year. It's just too good.

EVOLghost 11.20.2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vulva
lately, nothing. I kind of want a new game but no idea what to get.

if j00 find somethin' on ps3 let me know. So far I'm jsut waiting on FFXIII

Keeping It Simple 11.21.2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteredcourse

I'm playing it now. The graphics look a bit dated, but that's overshadowed by the wonderful and engrossing gameplay. I'm pretty sloppy at the moment as I'm figuring out, and familiarising myself with the game's mechanics so I can be a better player. :)

floatingslowly 11.24.2009 06:40 PM

amerikangod 11.24.2009 09:22 PM

I'm currently playing 'Murumasa' on the Wii.

noisereductions 11.24.2009 09:33 PM

this game is so fucking hard.

HaydenAsche 11.24.2009 09:48 PM

I really wish I was playing pikmin.

phoenix 11.25.2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floatingslowly

is there a screen dump where I'm not calling you a cunt? :(

EVOLghost 11.25.2009 07:50 PM

5 minutes to kill yourself.