Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

mangajunky 07.05.2007 02:45 PM

The Te of Piglet

king_buzzo 07.05.2007 02:48 PM

d00d, 1 4m n07 r34d1n6 @ny7h1n6. 1 w@n73d s0m3 s73v3n k1n6, bu7 1 d0n7 h@v3 m0n37 70 $$$ 1t.

@ls0, 1 w4nn4 g37 7h3 n3w h@rry p0773r.

Pookie 07.05.2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuetzpalin
Neil Gaiman - NEVERWHERE

again and again..

I've just watched the TV series of this on DVD.

cuetzpalin 07.05.2007 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
I've just watched the TV series of this on DVD.

is it good? never seen it.. but i think it can't be compared with the book.

sarramkrop 07.08.2007 01:06 PM

David Wilson - This Age We're Living In

Not sure if it's been published yet. I got a proof copy for a couple of quid and it's an excellent book.

cuetzpalin 07.08.2007 01:31 PM

well the title says everything.. :)

jon boy 07.08.2007 01:36 PM

midnight city junk strain - a collection of ginsberg writings, letters etc.

Pookie 07.08.2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuetzpalin
is it good? never seen it.. but i think it can't be compared with the book.

In short, no it's not very good. I've never read the book, so I can't compare. But, from what I've heard, he made a lot of changes and improvements for the book version.

I did read American Gods though, and that's very good.

cuetzpalin 07.08.2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

In short, no it's not very good. I've never read the book, so I can't compare. But, from what I've heard, he made a lot of changes and improvements for the book version.

I did read American Gods though, and that's very good.

yeah that's why I won't watch the TV series.. I love the book, I know it for a long time and it's just about a month ago when I realized that it's been originally created as a serial story for BBC.. Try the book, but it'll probably be weird to read after you've seen the series..
Gaiman is excellent writer, I read Stardust too and I wanna buy Coraline and American Gods. It was pretty hard to get those two (Neverwhere and Star dust) at least. Star dust is pretty fairy but lovely too. I just dig his ability to draw together reality and that faerie world aspect.. Never seen it before

edit: when I saw some pics from the Neverwhere TV series i was really sickened, everything there is just wrong :)

Pookie 07.08.2007 03:05 PM

I don't know if this will mean anything to you, but the show was produced by Lenny Henry, which explains a lot.

The TV series was very ambitious, but was made on a very limited budget, and so it ended up looking like a good quality children's TV series. And I remember watching it when it was first on TV in 1996, and even then it looked really dated. Lots of cheap special effects and bad acting.

But if you get a chance to watch the DVD, it has a good interview with Gaiman.

cuetzpalin 07.08.2007 03:16 PM

I see.. I don't actually know how are the actors but all that I've seen Richard, Door, Hunter, de Carabas.. they all have nothing to do with the book characters:) you made me laugh with your last sentence, it's just like "But if you get a chance to that cheap disgusting nut mix, there are four or five good cashews" :)

cuetzpalin 07.08.2007 03:22 PM

double post, sorry..

youthoftomorrow 07.08.2007 04:09 PM

American Gods by Neil Gaiman. pretty fucking weird.

Silent Dan Speaks 07.08.2007 04:52 PM

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Hardcore.

Norma J 07.08.2007 05:47 PM

Big Fish.

Пятхъдесят Шест 07.08.2007 05:53 PM

So, I've been on this Latin American authors kick.

Assorted titles:

demonrail666 07.08.2007 06:03 PM

Some really crappy text book on sub-cultures. For purely academic purposes.

Savage Clone 07.08.2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

I don't know if this will mean anything to you, but the show was produced by Lenny Henry, which explains a lot.

The TV series was very ambitious, but was made on a very limited budget, and so it ended up looking like a good quality children's TV series. And I remember watching it when it was first on TV in 1996, and even then it looked really dated. Lots of cheap special effects and bad acting.

But if you get a chance to watch the DVD, it has a good interview with Gaiman.

The TV version of Neverwhere is laughably cheesy. Especially "The Marquis."
Oh.
Man.
So bad.
Even for a guy like me, who is willing to go a decent way into latent goth-teen-who-is-by-this-time-getting-pretty-old cheesedom, Neverwhere was quite the disappointment. Bad enough to wonder how much worse it was going to get, in fact. I think that was what got me to watch all the episodes.

ybag_girl 07.08.2007 08:24 PM

heaven than heavier by charles cross
and the demoniaco in the painting by enrico castelli

musicfallinglikesnow 07.08.2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Dan Speaks
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Hardcore.

I'm reading it right now. Hardcore indeed.

Savage Clone 07.08.2007 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunbury
Good lord that post reads like a William Shatner monologue with all of that punctuation and hyphenation stop stop it now I hate William Shatner and I purposely wrote this without the use of any punctuation whatsoever to compensate but cannot think of an annoying celebrity that speaks quickly in one run on sentance that goes on forever and ever to compare it to

Yeah, OK, you really put me in my place there.
After all, you've never made a post that read weird.

Rob Instigator 07.09.2007 09:00 AM

I am reading the Harry Potter book that goes with the new movie, so I can watch the movie. I always make myself read the books before I watch movies based on that book. I'd rather ruin the movie than ruin the book.
Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix

finding nobody 07.15.2007 03:21 PM

Slaughter-house Five it is
This is the only picture I can find on this edition that I own.
A great peice of work so far (got to page 62 yesterday at work)

k-krack 07.15.2007 03:24 PM

God damn fantastic book, Joel.
I just read Cat's Cradle... one of the best books I've read in a long time, and that's saying something.

At the moment I'm reading Kafka's The Trial. Pretty good so far, though most of the chapters are arduously long, hehe.

SynthethicalY 07.15.2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-krack
God damn fantastic book, Joel.
I just read Cat's Cradle... one of the best books I've read in a long time, and that's saying something.

At the moment I'm reading Kafka's The Trial. Pretty good so far, though most of the chapters are arduously long, hehe.

I love Kafka, after Camus.

finding nobody 07.15.2007 03:31 PM

my freind is borrowing Cat's Cradle right now. Im gonna read it next
I got those three books for around 10 dollars on ebay

Alex's Trip 07.15.2007 07:41 PM

The Grapes of Wrath.

Everyone I know said they didn't like it because it was so slow, but I actually like it.

Everyneurotic 07.15.2007 08:09 PM

i'm reading crime and punishment, but i might put it on hold so i can read this dylan book that's in the house i'm staying.

Пятхъдесят Шест 07.19.2007 06:28 PM

Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but if you aren't familiar with Roberto Bolano, you should be.

youthoftomorrow 07.20.2007 02:21 AM

i just paid a visit to the local used bookstore and picked these up for the price of a CD.

Ben Bova - Saturn
William Gibson - Mona Lisa Overdrive
Dan Simmons - Hyperion
Allen Steele - Coyote

sci-fi. that's where it's at.

SynthethicalY 07.20.2007 02:25 AM

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey for my English Class.

Silent Dan Speaks 07.20.2007 02:43 AM

Pet Semetary. I've never read any Stephen King, and I figured I should give one of his books a shot just to see what he's about.

Pookie 07.20.2007 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Dan Speaks
Pet Semetary. I've never read any Stephen King, and I figured I should give one of his books a shot just to see what he's about.

I really enjoyed this book. I read it many years ago, and it scared the bejesus out of me.

pbradley 07.20.2007 04:57 AM

I think I'm going to dip into some Hemingway for a little while.

total-trash 07.20.2007 09:21 AM

i recently fnished fear and loathing in las vegas.

and as of midnight tonight, i'll be reading motherfuckin harry potter

Pookie 07.20.2007 09:25 AM

Just taken delivery of our Harry Potter stock. And those boxes will remain SEALED until midnight.

total-trash 07.20.2007 09:26 AM

i'm pissin my pants out of excitement

Sonic Youth 37 07.21.2007 11:17 PM

I just finished the final Harry Potter. Quite possible the best one yet.

Dead-Air 07.22.2007 12:58 AM

I'm reading Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs - John Lydon's autobiography. Really good. Interesting to learn that he actually had good relations with his parents for the most part, and that his mom was always entirely supportive and liked listening to his Hawkwind and Stooges records with him when he was a teenager.

Before that I read In War Times, by Kathleen Ann Goonan, an alternate history science fiction book that just came out by one of my favorite authors.

Everyneurotic 07.22.2007 09:15 PM

i read bob dylan's chronicles vol. 1 until it bored me. now i'm reading on the road with bob dylan.

only descent books where i'm staying.