Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you playing? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28352)

youthoftomorrow 11.12.2009 02:39 AM

SO. EPIC.

noisereductions 11.12.2009 08:12 AM

I actually got 20 or so new Game Boy games in the last week. And yet. I CAN NOT STOP PLAYING FINAL FANTASY TACTICS ADVANCE.

Keeping It Simple 11.12.2009 08:27 AM

FFX is my all time fave. Though FFXII comes a close second.

Toilet & Bowels 11.12.2009 08:57 AM

i've really gone off FF games, i thought XII started good but was way too long, and the story was a total cheese fest, i thought the new fighting system is really great though.
has anyone played they FFIV sequel for the Wii?

EVOLghost 11.12.2009 06:43 PM

I bought Modern Warfare 2. Gonna play it right now. I also got the XBL subscription and now trying to come up wiwth a name. I don't know if poolick will get banned.

noisereductions 11.12.2009 08:31 PM

EVOLghost, you heard about XBoxers getting banned for modded consoles RIGHT???

EVOLghost 11.12.2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
EVOLghost, you heard about XBoxers getting banned for modded consoles RIGHT???

yeah. but I hear they don't get banned unless you don't play a copy while online.

noisereductions 11.12.2009 09:44 PM

I dont know specifics. I'm not an XBox fan to be straight up. BUT I wouldn't want you to get fucked over my friend.

EVOLghost 11.13.2009 08:24 PM

You're right mang. I'm gonna look it up a little bit more. I still haven't activated my account.

noisereductions 11.13.2009 10:43 PM

play it safe, sir. I heard some (seriously) innocent owners got caught up in the MS crossfire. So be knowledgeable.

EVOLghost 11.13.2009 11:21 PM

Hahaha yeah I've heard of that too. people gettin' banned for no reason.

noisereductions 11.13.2009 11:39 PM

and apparently MS doesnt give a fuck. Surprise, surprise.

ni'k 11.13.2009 11:50 PM

has anyone played call of duty for the wii? i want to buy it but am put off because i imagine with the wii mote it would be hard to aim and the controls would be bad. is this the case? is it worth buying a gun for the wii and if so which one?

EVOLghost 11.14.2009 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
has anyone played call of duty for the wii? i want to buy it but am put off because i imagine with the wii mote it would be hard to aim and the controls would be bad. is this the case? is it worth buying a gun for the wii and if so which one?

I used the wiizapper or somethin' like that once. It was alright. But too be honest...I really can't see CoD for the wii would be very much fun. But just my opinion.

EVOLghost 11.14.2009 12:44 AM

Yeah so apparently I think Microsoft might be runnin' some stupid scan where it can detect if yer shiz is modded. Though I gotta look into it more.

FreshChops 11.14.2009 02:19 AM

just finished the campaign. It was kinda short, but sweet.

atsonicpark 11.14.2009 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
FFX is my all time fave. Though FFXII comes a close second.

Final Fantasy 12 is probably the worst RPG I've ever played. And I've played a lot. I'm going to go so far as to say it's one of the worst games I've ever played, period. Never one time in the entire game did I feel involved with the story, the characters, or the gameplay. The simplified, dumbed-down offline-MMO battles seemed exciting at first, but then you realize that every battle is exactly the same, especially the boss battles (just cast all your limit breaks, switch out a character, cast all your limit breaks, switch out a character, cast all your limit breaks, switch out one more character, cast out all your limit breaks.. if the boss isn't dead, he's about to be). I mean, you could make the argment that every rpg battle is the same, but when you look at the fact that it takes forever to level up and get license points, (is it even possible to get over level 65 in this game without devoting hundreds of hours?).. yeah. Offline MMO, yeah. The only part that is intriguing is the license board, except when you realize that, again, it's really not as customizable or cool as you thought, and you eventually will just spend license points on useless bullshit in order to get the cool spells. The game is also way, way too easy, the dungeons are boring as hell, and the story.. oh my god, the story is TERRIBLE... I mean, it's pretty bad when you only have 6 party members and a few of the party members don't even interact with each other. Add in a superboring political plot that goes absolutely nowhere, and you have a game that feels completely broken and rushed and just.. off. It's like, there's no context to place anything in, you're just constantly going from A to B in this linear, boring progression and the side quests basically amount to trying to level up to try to kill monsters to get equipment that you don't need because the game is easy enough as it is. The graphics are good, but the entire game looks kinda like the Phantom Menace or something. Honestly, playing the game gave me a headache, and I'm not sure why, something about the gameplay and the saturated graphics just fucked with me. Absolutely the most boring, worthless, shit Final Fantasy, with nothing compelling happening in it whatsoever. Add in horrible characters, awful voice acting, and the game is just kinda worthless.

Seriously, does Penelo even have a single line of dialogue after the first 2 hours of the game? Just curious.

I'm glad you like it, though, man! Glad you got something out of it.

Keeping It Simple 11.14.2009 08:57 AM

You're clearly in a minority with your criticism of FFXII. It has a metascore of 92. RPGFan called it "a complete masterpiece".

HaydenAsche 11.14.2009 09:06 AM

FFXII was highly over rated. It was a fairly decent game but like all Final Fantasies, the flaws and little 'kwirks' to the game were too blunt and obnoxious for me to ignore them.

Adam, I'm seriously thinking about playing through to see if Penelo does have any other dialogue after that.

Keeping It Simple 11.14.2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
FFXII was highly over rated. It was a fairly decent game but like all Final Fantasies, the flaws and little 'kwirks' to the game were too blunt and obnoxious for me to ignore them.

Adam, I'm seriously thinking about playing through to see if Penelo does have any other dialogue after that.

Of course she does. Stop being obnoxiously puerile about it.

EVOLghost 11.14.2009 09:19 AM

You guys are totally right. The onlything I liked about
12 was the new battle system which did get ol rather quickly. I dsnt finsh the game after realizing it took me close to 70 hours to get to the end

Keeping It Simple 11.14.2009 09:27 AM

Yanks have a tendancy to heavily criticise RPGs that wasn't made by Bethesda, BioWare or Blizzard.

HaydenAsche 11.14.2009 09:28 AM

I hate Blizzard.

EVOLghost 11.14.2009 10:10 AM

I'm a Blizzfan. but not hugely into it. Fact I quit WoW....for now.

anywho. I also think FFX was bad. Wasn't that big a fan of that one too.

Keeping It Simple 11.14.2009 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I'm a Blizzfan. but not hugely into it. Fact I quit WoW....for now.

anywho. I also think FFX was bad. Wasn't that big a fan of that one too.

Again you're in a minority, as FFX has a metascore of 92. The Official US Playstation Magazine said: "Packs in more quality gameplay than most RPGs could ever hope for".

Keeping It Simple 11.14.2009 01:34 PM

Playboy reviews video games?

atsonicpark 11.14.2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Yanks have a tendancy to heavily criticise RPGs that wasn't made by Bethesda, BioWare or Blizzard.

I have no idea what games the first two companies have made, and Blizzard blows.

My favorite RPG's were made by Enix and Atlus.

Also re: being in the minority, Square games hardly ever get bad reviews, unless it's, like, a SaGa game or something. Which is hilarious, since Square hasn't made any good games since the PS1 era (aside from Dragon Quest VIII of course -- but that was the brilliant Level-5's doing). Square is, like, the most important developer in the world, to the extent that their contributions to a system can make or break it (especially in Japan). Hell, Famitsu gave that Dirge of Cerberus game (which was terrible, maybe the worst PS2 game I ever played) an amazing score. That's cuz Square owns the world. I don't really trust magazine/website reviews when it comes to Square games. On the other hand, if I go over to gamefaqs and read some reviews by people like myself, a good amount of them don't have many good things to say about this game.

Shrug. It doesn't matter either way, I just hated it. I've completely played through every FF game except 2, and I just hate it.

atsonicpark 11.14.2009 02:23 PM

Just found this hilarious article on FF12..

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff12

PENELO
Vaan's childhood friend, who was orphaned during the Empire's final strike against Rabanastre. Penelo is even less important than Vaan and stops speaking about 1/3 through the game. She contributes absolutely nothing to the party except for an occasional comic quip and her conspicuously pert buttocks.

Keeping It Simple 11.14.2009 02:44 PM

People with slightly unhinged minds do feel a pathological need to go against the grain. They try to convince people they're somehow gifted with a unique thought pattern that seperates them from the universal thinking of the rest of the population. In other words, they're contrived and pretentious jerks.

EVOLghost 11.14.2009 03:39 PM

nah dood. I'm cool.

Keeping It Simple 11.14.2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
nah dood. I'm cool.

Good.

Keeping It Simple 11.14.2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I have no idea what games the first two companies have made, and Blizzard blows.

My favorite RPG's were made by Enix and Atlus.

Also re: being in the minority, Square games hardly ever get bad reviews, unless it's, like, a SaGa game or something. Which is hilarious, since Square hasn't made any good games since the PS1 era (aside from Dragon Quest VIII of course -- but that was the brilliant Level-5's doing). Square is, like, the most important developer in the world, to the extent that their contributions to a system can make or break it (especially in Japan). Hell, Famitsu gave that Dirge of Cerberus game (which was terrible, maybe the worst PS2 game I ever played) an amazing score. That's cuz Square owns the world. I don't really trust magazine/website reviews when it comes to Square games. On the other hand, if I go over to gamefaqs and read some reviews by people like myself, a good amount of them don't have many good things to say about this game.

Shrug. It doesn't matter either way, I just hated it. I've completely played through every FF game except 2, and I just hate it.

Bethesda: The Elder Scrolls. Fallout 3.
BioWare: Baldur's Gate. Neverwinter Nights. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Dragon Age: Origins.

Toilet & Bowels 11.14.2009 04:50 PM

the final fantasy series should just finish, it's become so formulaic. something bad happens to teenage boy, he discovers a plot by a crazed monarch, he discovers that the monarch is the puppet of a mad man intent on destroying the world, every time the boy is about to put a stop to the mad man something happens to prevent him and he ends up not being able to do it until the very last feasible second before the world blows up. throw in some obvious moralising about exploiting the environment and the corruption that comes with power....blablabla. one of the things that sucked about XII is that you couldn't turn the voice acting off, it was awful.
The problem i found with the license board is that once you start filling it out all your characters and up with pretty much the same abilities, and what the point of that?
It did look like the Phantom Menace too, which is obviously verging on criminal.

When I played through IX recently the first thing I noticed is how little game play there is, you have to play for 5 or 6 hours to get to the first dungeon, the rest of the time it's dialogue dialogue dialogue, and little button pressing challenges like the sword fight in the intro, it seemed to me that only about one third of the first disc are you actually playing the game rather than watching it. plus the other thing that pissed me off was the annoying flashy intro to every single battle where the camera is swooping and zooming around before you can actually start fight, more often than not the intro to the battle would last longer than the fight itself... lame.

noisereductions 11.14.2009 04:53 PM

pretty much every Square game for 8 and 16-bit era are great. Seriously.

Toilet & Bowels 11.14.2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
pretty much every Square game for 8 and 16-bit era are great. Seriously.

yeah, i haven't played any 8bit ones, but their SNES games are all fantastic, Secret of Mana probably being my favourite. Vagrant Story for the PS is probably my favourite Square game ever and one of my top 2 RPGs

Keeping It Simple 11.14.2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the final fantasy series should just finish, it's become so formulaic. something bad happens to teenage boy, he discovers a plot by a crazed monarch, he discovers that the monarch is the puppet of a mad man intent on destroying the world, every time the boy is about to put a stop to the mad man something happens to prevent him and he ends up not being able to do it until the very last feasible second before the world blows up. throw in some obvious moralising about exploiting the environment and the corruption that comes with power....blablabla. one of the things that sucked about XII is that you couldn't turn the voice acting off, it was awful.
The problem i found with the license board is that once you start filling it out all your characters and up with pretty much the same abilities, and what the point of that?
It did look like the Phantom Menace too, which is obviously verging on criminal.

When I played through IX recently the first thing I noticed is how little game play there is, you have to play for 5 or 6 hours to get to the first dungeon, the rest of the time it's dialogue dialogue dialogue, and little button pressing challenges like the sword fight in the intro, it seemed to me that only about one third of the first disc are you actually playing the game rather than watching it. plus the other thing that pissed me off was the annoying flashy intro to every single battle where the camera is swooping and zooming around before you can actually start fight, more often than not the intro to the battle would last longer than the fight itself... lame.

Name any game you like and I bet someone has slagged it off.

Toilet & Bowels 11.14.2009 07:23 PM

for sure, name any anything

EVOLghost 11.15.2009 06:13 PM

I"m settin' up my XBL account and I can't think of a gamertag

noisereductions 11.15.2009 06:52 PM

how about something like... EVOLghost

atsonicpark 11.15.2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

People with slightly unhinged minds do feel a pathological need to go against the grain. They try to convince people they're somehow gifted with a unique thought pattern that seperates them from the universal thinking of the rest of the population. In other words, they're contrived and pretentious jerks.

Yeah, except I didn't really pay any attention to any hype the game received, I played it and formed my own opinion and only after playing it did I see that "professional" reviewers (motivated by ad revenue) like the game. It's flat-out boring and shit, to me, there's nothing to it. It is such a mess of a game, it feels unfinished, etc. If people like it for some weird reason, that's cool, I'd rather play Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, Mother 3, Contact, and various other RPG's that came out around the same time. Just a personal preference.