Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best album of 2009 thus far (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31542)

Everyneurotic 06.06.2009 11:18 AM

people still listen to magik markers?

and while the new sunn o))) album is great, i don't think their records are that good anymore, not after seeing them live.

dionysusundone 06.06.2009 02:44 PM

Skull Defekts, Horrors, SY, Ducktails, more that I can't think of that are probably somewhere on Adam's list anyway, not the Magik Markers, that album bored me to tears

atsonicpark 06.06.2009 08:11 PM

That reminds me, I told Mark Prindle to give his opinions of the Markers for his "hip bands the kids dig" section and he posted this hilarious gem...

Magik Markers - Boring, simplistic Velvet Underground/Doors-inspired "art" songs with feedback breaks, noise freakouts and a 'cool' female vocalist who takes it all WAY too seriously. Apparently nobody in the band can play piano or guitar at all, but that doesn't stop them from creating their own amateurish brand of late '60s Dionysian idiocy. Lee Ranaldo produced their CD and Thurston Moore released it on his label, which is appropriate because if Sonic Youth had no talent or vision at all, they'd sound exactly like this.

atsonicpark 06.06.2009 08:13 PM

and yeah:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29914
"constantly-bumped 2009 great releases thread"

nuplastikk 06.06.2009 09:41 PM

Wand "born bad" all the fucking way.

Death & the Maiden 06.06.2009 10:54 PM

My favourite so far is World is Yours by Mass of the Fermenting Dregs. That's not saying much, since it's the only one from this year I've heard. I'm eagerly awaiting Sigh's Scenes From Hell.

dionysusundone 06.07.2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
That reminds me, I told Mark Prindle to give his opinions of the Markers for his "hip bands the kids dig" section and he posted this hilarious gem...

Magik Markers - Boring, simplistic Velvet Underground/Doors-inspired "art" songs with feedback breaks, noise freakouts and a 'cool' female vocalist who takes it all WAY too seriously. Apparently nobody in the band can play piano or guitar at all, but that doesn't stop them from creating their own amateurish brand of late '60s Dionysian idiocy. Lee Ranaldo produced their CD and Thurston Moore released it on his label, which is appropriate because if Sonic Youth had no talent or vision at all, they'd sound exactly like this.

haha that was you? I cracked up when I saw it.

batreleaser 06.07.2009 10:33 AM

Kurt Vile-God is Saying this to You

batreleaser 06.07.2009 10:34 AM

actally, 'wild and inside' then kurt vile. nice list as always cooley.

batreleaser 06.07.2009 10:54 AM

id actually maybe even put wooden shjips 'dos' up there too, certainlymy summer record thus far, i had it in the car changer since i got it, all my friends love it too.

Sly Bug 06.16.2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loubarret
The new Sunn O))
Stella Peel-Stella Peel

Thanks !

batreleaser 06.17.2009 10:04 AM

i think the sperm-shh! reissue is the best thing ive heard recently, to be honest.

alex_could 06.17.2009 01:06 PM

by animal collective and dirty projectors :D

loubarret 06.17.2009 01:17 PM

No.

Tottaly not. Speaking about two overated but good bands making shitty albums.

alex_could 06.17.2009 01:19 PM

for me it's that good bands made masterpieces, i don't feel so for any other 2009 albums yet.

loubarret 06.17.2009 01:30 PM

Ah, it's just my opion.

Did you ever heard Feels(which is a materpeice) or rise above(which is nice)?

New Horrors album amazed me, freaking good

alex_could 06.17.2009 02:12 PM

listened to feels but not many times, and didn't listen to rise above at all. i'll do it nearest future.

i guess that people are kinda tired of animal collective, so they say: 'oooh nooo, another album?! even pitchfork gives them highest rates again so i'll better stay away from it'. i felt nearly that way too before giving a listen. and after that i just couldn't stop listening, discovered smth new that i liked on these albums. it's euphorical for me!

loubarret 06.17.2009 02:17 PM

No I didn't even I hate pitchfork I've gave the record a fair listing and it jsut bitterly dissapointed me. All the stuff they done better before and so on so on.

A friend of mine is also a complete addict to the album and it's your own taste so please don't doudt about it.

alex_could 06.17.2009 02:19 PM

okay, i won't :D

loubarret 06.17.2009 02:20 PM

Do you like beck?