Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Faith No More Reunion (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31451)

summer 05.21.2009 03:11 PM

If that is true, then I hate Spruance. California is my favorite thing Patton was ever involved in, and then Mr. Bungle just broke up? Sucks.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.21.2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I doubt Spruance would do it... but if so, maybe Bungle could eventually reform too.

^
I'd cum out of every orifice/pore on my body, if that happened.
Things could get messy.

LifeDistortion 05.21.2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
I agree. King for A Day was great.

Is it true that Courtney Love tried out to be the band's vocalist, after Chuck's departure?

Yes, apparantly that is true.

atsonicpark 05.21.2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summer
If that is true, then I hate Spruance. California is my favorite thing Patton was ever involved in, and then Mr. Bungle just broke up? Sucks.

But Patton was the member who wrote the LEAST amount of Mr. Bungle music. He only wrote 2 or 3 songs... Trey and Trevor wrote most of the stuff, and Trey is in the brilliant Secret Chiefs 3, which basically started out as Bungle without Patton and is now... whatever they are now... some kind of bizarre Middle Eastern-prog-jazz band that is just unbelievable. I really don't like Patton. Besides Angel Dust, Disco Volante, California, and his Kaada/Patton collab "Romances", I don't like anything he's ever been involved in. That includes Fantomas, Tomahawk, Loveage, and definitely Peeping Tom!

RanaldoNecro 05.21.2009 03:18 PM

Only European dates....

They really like there rock over there. Kings of Leon, White Stripes both have big followings..

atsonicpark 05.21.2009 03:18 PM

Here's the first interview I could find...

http://www.markprindle.com/spruance-i.htm

5. I know this is a tired old topic, but my readers would kill me if I didn't ask about it – why have you and Mike Patton not spoken in years? Did your friendship die out because of Mr. Bungle or Faith No More, or did you just go separate ways, or something else entirely?
As time wears on you find out who your friends are, and who they aren't. Mike and I always had the best working relationship imaginable. Really, very very good and fruitful. There are other things in life we see differently. I don't think those things are irreconcilable at all. But when you get used to having things your own way, and certain people around you resist the "natural order" of becoming subordinate to you, you may start nursing resentments. Even lashing out at them and calling them egomaniacs etc. for not assuming the position. I think in my case it was too painful for Patton to realize that where there are no subordinates there is no insubordination. Like most of us, Mike tends to begin the process of deciding whether or not he can afford to discard a person's point of view altogether, rather than facing certain difficult facts of life. So to answer your question, there was never any big mess between he and I specifically. The general dysfunction coming from being expected to silently endure more and more of this emerging top-down/top-dog order-barking thing he'd taken to just ended up getting really tiresome for everyone involved. In a band, strong personalities need to know where to draw the line on this kind of stuff. Anyway, since it wasn't going to happen, I was the idiot who started to draw that line. I admit I had more emotional involvement in the process than would be neccesary for a non-robot, having poured comparatively ridiculously copious doses of my blood into the project. Patton's subsequent resentment towards me is a fairly predictable outcome. You don't stand up to him and stay off the shit-list. A bummer, yeah, but its essentially a self-protecting reflex action - something I don't really feel a need to hold against him too much. He has his way. It won't change. And after all why should it? This method works well for him overall -- who am I to question it? I dare say it's even part of his charm. (we are a nation of pathological narcissists after all!). Whatever. Really, I feel fondly about the time we spent making music together, and feel we did some great things. And, while I am diametrically opposed to it on a human level, over time I do appreciate the clarity of his cut and dry approach: how black and white it makes things. You're either in the club, or out of the club. Unfortunately, I have to say I do prefer life as an excommunicate from that kind of 'friendship'. I know he prefers it that way too. I'm sure both of us would agree it was a good run, though.

super_charger 05.21.2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I don't like anything he's ever been involved in. That includes Fantomas, Tomahawk, Loveage, and definitely Peeping Tom!

There's a Painkiller disc he's on (replacing EYE) that is actually pretty amazing. I suggest you check it out.

atsonicpark 05.21.2009 03:21 PM

That whole interview is great btw. Spruance's responses are... very intelligent.

summer 05.21.2009 03:24 PM

Secret Chiefs 3 is deeeefinitely a band I need to look into more. I heard one of their albums before, and I was like "WHOA this is what Mr. Bungle should have been.. It's different genres but spread limited to one genre per song!" If you know what I'm trying to get at, but yeah.

Rob Instigator 05.21.2009 03:24 PM

Jim Martin DOES grow pu mpkins. he raises record size giant pumpkins. NO LIE.

as far as reunion goes, if Jim martin is not in it to riff it up on jizzlobber or their amazing cover of war pigs then FUCK the reunion.

Rob Instigator 05.21.2009 03:26 PM

I still rock real thing and angel dust

after that they sucked shit to my ears.
I hjate king for a day and calfornation whatever

summer 05.21.2009 03:36 PM

King for a Day has "Evidence" which is one of the sexiest songs ever, so I'd love that album if only for that.

Also I skimmed through most of that interview and just, ugh. Trey Spruance himself seems pretty cool. It's the interviewer that I take issue with, he even insults himself and says "I don't understand your music, none of us do!" I hate it when people put others on a pedestal like that.

Derek 05.21.2009 03:45 PM

Do not insult Mark Prindle.

atsonicpark 05.21.2009 03:47 PM

Summer, you're the only person in the world to dislike Mark Prindle. That's... noteworthy.

el duderino 05.21.2009 06:14 PM

i'm not sure if its still up, but they posted a video of one of their recent rehearsals on the front page of their official site, great to see they haven't lost their sense of humour

EyeballGrowth 05.23.2009 03:45 AM

Faith no more was cool when I was 9. Only Patton project I've ever really loved is Mr. Bungle. I'm far more interested in the Jane's Addiction reunion tour that is currently happening

Andrés 05.25.2009 08:30 PM

overated and boring band like radiohead, u2, pearl jam and smashing pumpkins. Then again, what do i know about music anyways?

EyeballGrowth 05.26.2009 06:34 PM

Incorrect. Nothing at all like U2, Pearl Jam or Radiohead. Sorry but that is not my opinion. That's just the truth. If you think they are boring than whatever, to each his own, but I think they make the best melodies of any band ever. Sheer aural ecstasy

alex_could 05.27.2009 12:43 PM

i will go!

el duderino 05.27.2009 05:22 PM

wade worthington = roddy??