Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lets talk about Confusion is sex! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3031)

CHOUT 06.15.2006 09:50 PM

Shaking Hell is my favorite CIS song as of right now.

Пятхъдесят Шест 06.15.2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I know but Sonic Youth made it more interesting because they could actually make it sound decent. It is like Arab on Radar vs. Hospitals. Hospitals is just annoying herk-jerk and AOR is talented and fun yet still herk-jerky.

Sure, but I think the whole of DNA is much more interesting than Confusion is Sex. I might even go as far as saying Mars is too. Not that I don't like Confusion is Sex, just preference. Maybe just apples and oranges.

m^a(t)h 06.15.2006 09:54 PM

take off your dress...

mule 06.15.2006 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
take off your dress...

perv! ;)

m^a(t)h 06.15.2006 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
Sure, but I think the whole of DNA is much more interesting than Confusion is Sex. I might even go as far as saying Mars is too. Not that I don't like Confusion is Sex, just preference. Maybe just apples and oranges.

Ive never listened to Mars, I wish I could....

I love how DNA uses no distortion or effects, just clean guitar, bass, and drums. Totally DIY. 5:30 is my favorite song by them...

HaydenAsche 06.15.2006 09:58 PM

Not more like rock. More like listenable.

m^a(t)h 06.15.2006 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Not more like rock. More like listenable.

To each his own...

nomadicfollower 06.15.2006 10:05 PM

Perfect album. One of my all-time favorites.

m^a(t)h 06.15.2006 10:32 PM

does anyone have early live pics, I would like to identify some of their equipment back then and maybe help update the gearography b/c it sucks, maybe you guys have some good ones...

finding nobody 06.16.2006 12:24 AM

i dont give a shit if the music reqiured talent to make. it's a good record because it sounds good.
the fact that it's so shittily record is one of really cool things about it.

m^a(t)h 06.16.2006 12:37 AM

sonic youth s most creative time period

m^a(t)h 06.16.2006 12:39 AM

doesnt shaking hell's intro sound like a hitchcock film to you guys?

CHOUT 06.16.2006 12:43 AM

This album scared me upon the first few listens. Oh man, hearing freezer burn/i wanna be your dog for the first time...

alyasa 06.16.2006 12:45 AM

They definitely had some interesting ideas there, sonically... Just listen to Bad Mood, one of the greatest album openers, up there with Are You Experienced and Nevermind... :) A real moody, visceral, raw track. The ride gets progressively more twisted from there, reaching a peak in Shaking Hell, then not letting up until Kill Yr Idols, which is a masterpiece of rock rebelliousness, finally culminating in the eerie strains of Early American. It is definitely not a collection of singles... And Kim Gordon screaming like the demons she sings about in Protect Me You... That's gotta count for something...

ZEROpumpkins 06.16.2006 01:59 AM

This and SY EP are truely great examples of Sonic Birth.

finding nobody 06.16.2006 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnine
the tuning used throughout most of that album is my favorite tuning to play in.

EEEEGG#
never played with it. my favorites are ACCGG#C and CGDCGD

schizophrenicroom 06.16.2006 02:54 AM

i think freezer burn/dog is one of music's better moments. it still kind of scares the hell out of me.

the world looks red sounds like no-wave polka. it is genius and i love it.

kill yr idols is a perfect song.

finding nobody 06.16.2006 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
i think freezer burn/dog is one of music's better moments. it still kind of scares the hell out of me.

yeah! me to. i remember when i first got the cd earlier this year. i was listening to it after taking the fcat. and it was all quiet and i wasnt expecting it. and i jumped whenever it did it

finding nobody 06.16.2006 03:17 AM

im a sonic noob compared to alot of you folks

PunkerViolence 06.16.2006 06:35 AM

I was thinking the other day: confusion is sex is the most oiriginal sonic youth album and has suddenly become my favorite record. Over washing machine, sister and bad moon rising. I love the 'uhhuh uhhuh' bit at the start of Inhuman, and the plinky noise guitars in the world looks red. Shaking hell is kinda haunting with its ghostly melody, and strange arty lyrics "turn around, shake off yr flesh" i love the way the major tone merges into the minor - when kim is singing. "SHAKE off yr FLESH". Making the nature scene has some interesting lyrics and funny noisey guitars in the background. But my real favorite is either Shes in a bad mood, or CONFUSIO I~S NEXT. I adore this song. Especially when thurston sings the verse at the end when its all speedy and overflowed. Overall it has a really creepy disfunctional vibe which is not found in any other sonic record. And thats one reason why i love it so much.