Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   lets hear it for Greg Saunier (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26011)

atsonicpark 09.25.2008 09:41 AM

Some Zine Guy: You opened for Wilco recently. How was that?

Greg Saunier: When I was in the audience, watching their show, they would start a song, and people next to me would start hugging each other because they loved that song. And I thought that was something that I would really aspire to. To do something where music becomes-- and this sounds ridiculous or pretentious or something-- but where music becomes more than just good music.

noisereductions 09.25.2008 09:58 AM

I only like about 33% of the Deerhoof stuff that I check out. The only album by them that I really really liked was Reivelle or whatever it was called.

noisereductions 09.25.2008 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Some Zine Guy: You opened for Wilco recently. How was that?

Greg Saunier: When I was in the audience, watching their show, they would start a song, and people next to me would start hugging each other because they loved that song. And I thought that was something that I would really aspire to. To do something where music becomes-- and this sounds ridiculous or pretentious or something-- but where music becomes more than just good music.

That's a really excellent quote.

greedrex 09.25.2008 10:30 AM

It's "REVEILLE"
It means "wake up" and it's French.
yay for the French dudes!

batreleaser 09.25.2008 10:32 AM

too bad hes referring to wilco. one of the most annoying bands ever.

greedrex 09.25.2008 10:33 AM

I like the Jim O related Wilco.

atsonicpark 09.25.2008 10:38 AM

I like most of "A ghost is born".

That's... about... it.

noisereductions 09.25.2008 10:38 AM

I like Wilco.

Derek 09.25.2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Glad you all liked RUINHORSE, that was when I was 14 though! Hahaha. Not really interested in doing stuff like that anymore. It's very very very simple, I can do songs like that in my sleep without any effort, and I guess I just wanted to get away from that simplicity. I had about 10 other bands before, after,and around that time that were similiar and had some stuff you guys would like, but I dunno. I never felt like putting them up on myspace or anything so fuck it... maybe one day.

Only 14? I always assumed you were 18 at that point.

atsonicpark 09.25.2008 12:26 PM

Haha nope.

I'm 22 now...

Derek 09.25.2008 05:42 PM

Oh haha.

Well RUINHORSE sound great for a bunch of 14 year olds then I guess. You DO sound like you're having fun on the recordings even if it is really simple, I like that.

atsonicpark 09.25.2008 05:45 PM

Haha thanks...... I was just naive!

Maybe I'll go back to that kind of stuff again some day... Nothing wrong with simplicity every now and then!!

Derek 09.25.2008 05:49 PM

Well my only proper band was a three chord punk band and near the end of our life we really strived to do something of a more experimental nature, so I can see why you want to get away from simplicity.

Anyway, here's a link to our old myspace if any of you care:
http://www.myspace.com/tvparty06

atsonicpark 09.25.2008 05:52 PM

haha this isn't bad man!!!

pretty good production and fuzzy bass!!!

"TV Party" for a band name though? Haha....

Derek 09.25.2008 05:55 PM

Well Black Flag was the one band that made us all want to play together so we named it in tribute. Haha.

I do think we were really good, but the band was always tense. The drummer would take EVERYTHING seriously... he'd talk about getting signed and stuff when really all I wanted was to play in a band with my best friends.

schizophrenicroom 09.25.2008 06:10 PM

i have nothing to say that's intelligent or really says anything. except for greg saunier is my hero, through and through.

atsonicpark 09.25.2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
the band was always tense [...] he'd talk about getting signed and stuff when really all I wanted was to play in a band with my best friends.

That's a big problem I have with one of my egomaniac friends in one of the bands I'm in now.......

Derek 09.26.2008 05:27 AM

I think if you're really concentrated on just getting signed and stuff, then you shouldn't really be playing in a band. I think people should play in bands for the experience of it all first, and if they get signed then that's just a bonus. I don't really believe in sending demos out to labels.