Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   a place to bury strangers (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=19678)

Pax Americana 02.13.2008 01:59 PM

I dig them. The JAMC comparisons were obvious and inevitable, but whatever, I think they sound pretty good.

king_buzzo 02.13.2008 02:14 PM

^ i actually love their JAMC like sound.

drrrtyboots 02.13.2008 09:08 PM

They own this space in Brooklyn that always throws really fun shows for cheap (saw AIDS Wolf, HEALTH and Ruins awhile back). I think they make their pedals there too but they've got my respect for the space.

loubarret 09.04.2009 04:04 AM

Olvier also makes pedals for u2 and some other large then life shitbands. But still his band is quit one of the best to enter the indieworld in the last years.

And their new album is even better.

verme (prevaricator) 09.04.2009 05:44 AM

i eventually bought the record and yes, it was shit.

well, not shit, just nothing special.
didn't even know they had a new album.

kierkegaarden 09.04.2009 07:02 AM

a few good tracks on the first album, but what's good in them is their use of musical influence... nothing from the new album has stuck with me yet

someone mentioned that their appeal will be short-lived, which is simply wrong. shoegaze and noise rock have a pretty dedicated following, and APTBS's interpretations of the genre is convincing/authentic enough for plenty of them.

whatever though, Ceremony will always be ahead of APTBS, and both bands may have head their last chariot ride in Skywave

Screen Vinyl Image may have all three bands topped

SVI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aESFORRwYL0

Ceremony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpu1OR5TGsQ

kierkegaarden 09.04.2009 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loubarret
Olvier also makes pedals for u2 and some other large then life shitbands. But still his band is quit one of the best to enter the indieworld in the last years.

And their new album is even better.

seriously, u2 uses them? i'd think olly doesn't make them for u2, but makes them for (and as) Death By Audio, and that u2 happens to buy dba.

those pedals---i'm thinking of the fuzz gun---are win

loubarret 09.04.2009 07:29 AM

Yeah they use them. He custom made somes for them.

Trasher02 09.04.2009 07:45 AM

I really dig them. They're kinda JAMC copycats but atleast they're doing it better than, oh let's say, cunt-shit Glasvegas.
I haven't heard the entire album yet but I do enjoy the singles. "I know I'll see you" and "To Fix the Gash in your Head" both sound a lot like JAMC's "In a Hole" but that's ok the rest of the album isn't a complete JAMC knock-off. Sadly enough I haven't had the chance to see them perform live yet but I've been told by some friends, who really love the album by the way, that it was a huge dissapointment.

That said, I like them. To me they sound like what JAMC should have done after Psychocandy.

narlus 09.04.2009 08:00 AM

i saw 'em once. do NOT forget earplugs...the stories of their volume are true.

i thought they were pretty good.

kierkegaarden 09.04.2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loubarret
Yeah they use them. He custom made somes for them.

well damn. that's how to go from fredericksburg to NYC. sell shit to bono.

kierkegaarden 09.04.2009 08:02 AM

"To me they sound like what JAMC should have done after Psychocandy."

is what's important

loubarret 09.04.2009 08:10 AM

Live it's doable without earplugs, but if you like some noise in your head for the next 4 days do it.

alteredcourse 10.20.2009 09:54 PM

I've been playing Exploding Head a lot. I hope I dont play it too much. It doesnt strike me as something that I'll find a lot of interest in after their initial tangle with my dopamine. Hope I'm wrong.

DanielCarlson 10.21.2009 06:32 AM

I really like the self-titled. Exploding Head is quite okay, but not at all as good. I like the rawer sound on the first record a lot more, my head doesn't explode by the new one at all. It needs more noise.

Jeremy 10.21.2009 11:30 AM

I like the new record quite a bit. A bit more "Structured" than self-titled, but I don't know which one I prefer just yet.

~Jeremy~

SuperCreep 10.21.2009 11:34 AM

the lengths this band will go to not come up with a single original idea is depressing.

fuck this band.

narlus 10.21.2009 11:54 AM

it's only rock and roll but i like it.

originality can be overrrated...take a look at contemporary art...

kierkegaarden 10.22.2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
They're are too many "just good" bands around these days.

fuck, i already aired my shit, nevermind

alteredcourse 10.22.2009 10:18 PM

I must find their other albums... I really do love exploding heads, and if thats supposed to be their weakest, then I'm just that much more excited.