Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   awkward phases (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15492)

k-krack 08.13.2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
you'll pull yourself out of it. i believe i started going wayward not too long after those photos were taken...now my wardrobe contains an obscene amount of lurex, velvet, and platform shoes, which is perhaps awkward but at least i look cool most of the time. give it a bit of time and soon you might be even more flamboyant.

Oh, the main problem is that I have no middle ground. I am either extremely shy and uncomfortable and quiet, or extremely jumpy and agitated and excited.
I've been known to wear some pretty avant-garde clothes, though. Tight pants, tight shirts, and some obscure/womans/flashy long-sleeve shirt is the way to go.

Danny Himself 08.13.2007 01:47 PM

My wardrobe contains two pairs of pants and about 100 t-shirts. Thats it.

Cantankerous 08.13.2007 01:49 PM

this thread just keeps changing directions. damnit.

k-krack 08.13.2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
My wardrobe contains two pairs of pants and about 100 t-shirts. Thats it.

No way! Same thing my way, brah! (Plus the mentioned long-sleeves and sweaters/cardigans).

FACE IT, TANK, THE THREAD IS THE PEOPLE'S'!

Cantankerous 08.13.2007 01:52 PM

eyebrow plucking, flamboyant clothing, what next? cosmetic dentistry?

screamingskull 08.13.2007 01:53 PM

awkward phase in about year 10, aged 15ish, i was a foot taller than everyone else and didn't know what to do with my hair so i just dyed it black and cut giant chunks off it.

me in the middle

Savage Clone 08.13.2007 01:57 PM

Everyone's awkward in junior high and late grade school.
For me, the saddest awkward phases occurred after that; the sad part being that I thought I looked "pretty cool" at the time.
Same photos you've all seen before so I won't bother finding the links blahblahblah.

Danny Himself 08.13.2007 01:58 PM

I haven't seen that cape in a long time.

Cantankerous 08.13.2007 02:01 PM

ooh clone i have a coat you might like too. long, black crushed velvet, double breasted with a big hood.

jesus christ, i have one for every occasion.

samuel 08.13.2007 02:05 PM

wearing my sister's pants,
I really have no idea when this was

Savage Clone 08.13.2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

ooh clone i have a coat you might like too. long, black crushed velvet, double breasted with a big hood.

jesus christ, i have one for every occasion.

Sounds awesome.

Cantankerous 08.13.2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Sounds awesome.

it is. it's extremely heavy, though. i'll have to weigh it when i go home.

Savage Clone 08.13.2007 02:17 PM

I can relate. I have a full-length 1940s German leather coat that weighs about 20 pounds, I swear.

k-krack 08.13.2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

dentistry?

WELL! I am going for jaw surgery in a week!!!

Cantankerous 08.13.2007 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I can relate. I have a full-length 1940s German leather coat that weighs about 20 pounds, I swear.

neat! i swear if i ever run into you in some bizarre turn of events i'm gonna kidnap you and take you shopping with me.

atsonicpark 08.13.2007 03:25 PM

i've always been awkward, but i guess it's endearing to people. even when i try my hardest to not be liked, people like me. hmph. i guess in 8th grade, i wore all black every day (i wasn't "goth" though, i didn't do anything else even remotely similiar to goth, just wore all black) and hang out WITH the goths.. i'd occassionally do gay things like paint my nails (not black!) when i was in high school.. i dunno why.. i just thought it was cool to not be like everyone else.. i mean, i dyed my hair purple and pink and stuff.. i think lots of people do that.. i dunno.. i wasn't doing it for attention, i did it because i thought people would love me alone.. haha.. my naive brain.. all it did was make punk kids coem up and go, "Yo dude rancid" .. i used to have panic attacks around large groups of people.. as that died down, so did my wanting to be so different..

plus, now i realize it doesn't fucking matter either way and i don't care nor does anyone care about anyone or anything and the way they look. so i'm still awkward. i just put myself in situations where i can handle it better perhaps.

luxinterior 08.13.2007 03:34 PM

My whole life has basically been one giant awkward phase. Few pictures exist because few people want to have me in their pictures. Right now I pretty much wear the same thing every day and I don't wash my clothes very often. In the winter I wear the same thing every day. I have two closets, both full of clothes that I hardly ever wear. I think ever since leaving high school, all normal clothing has begun looking bad to me. I like having a job that requires a uniform because I do a lot less laundry and I don't have to think about hating all other clothing so much.

Savage Clone 08.13.2007 03:43 PM

I wear basically the same thing every day as well.
I have numerous identical clothing items, and a lot of others that vary only slightly.

Savage Clone 08.13.2007 04:12 PM

Found a funny pic that I haven't used for personal humiliation purposes in the past. I'm dressed for some sort of formal occasion, so my awkward suburban teenage goth/punk dress isn't represented, but the suit makes it funnier if you ask me. This is late 1985, and I was just barely 15 here:

This isn't a picture of me per se, but it commemorates an "awkward phase" as well as anything because I can't stand the Descendents now! Still, pretty nice of my mom to make me and a friend this cake for our 16th birthdays in August 1986:

jico. 08.13.2007 04:40 PM

oh.. the puberty years, i need to scan soem pics.

and yeah, cantankerous your arms on the second pic made me tremble a bit.