Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   THE GOSSIP (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11769)

Toilet & Bowels 03.29.2007 03:14 PM

also, i'm quite surprised by how popular they've become, bearing in mind the sort of attitudes that people hold

Everyneurotic 03.29.2007 06:56 PM

they became big because nme got behind them, i really thought they broke up like a year ago, then everyone in englad is going nuts with them.

DJ Rick 03.29.2007 07:55 PM

I'm not a fan of this band's records so much. The last one especially turned me off with it's high-production sheen. But the Gossip are pretty outstanding live. Beth is a firebrand. Brace has some awesome licks and moves to make 'em fun to watch. Drums are solid enough to fill in the no-bassist hole.

I wish I could svengali them. I'd make 'em record the whole band minus Beth to resemble a Guitar Wolf record...really raw-punk 'em up, then make Beth as clear and strong as possible.

Bunbury 03.29.2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Rick
I'm not a fan of this band's records so much. The last one especially turned me off with it's high-production sheen. But the Gossip are pretty outstanding live. Beth is a firebrand. Brace has some awesome licks and moves to make 'em fun to watch. Drums are solid enough to fill in the no-bassist hole.

I wish I could svengali them. I'd make 'em record the whole band minus Beth to resemble a Guitar Wolf record...really raw-punk 'em up, then make Beth as clear and strong as possible.

I agree, Standing in the way of control is a little glossy compared to their older stuff, instrumentally. But I think Beth took her vocals to another level with SITWOC compared to all of their other albums.

I would say Movement is my favorite Gossip record, its the best of both vocals + instrumentals.

SYRFox 03.30.2007 05:47 AM

I have Standing in the Way Of Control and I think it's really great, groovy but somekind of "retained" (I mean there's not many explosions, and it is really minimalist), really interesting and good in my opinion

val-holla-ing 03.30.2007 11:12 AM

'standing in the way of control' is a good album, but it doesn't get me as excited as their earlier stuff. when i wanna dance, though, it's a great album.

Washing Machine 03.30.2007 11:20 AM

They seem okay. I kinda like 'Standing in the way of control' probebly because it was on Skins all the time....and yeah I did kinda dig that show...do your worst!

Danny Himself 03.30.2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunbury
pretty much.

i dont think beth/the gossip could be further from obnoxious aggravating fat dyke(s).
they do have a queer positive message if thats what danny meant.

Meathead? Please. I've nothing against gays. I have a lot against having pro-gay-i-don't-care-what-you-think!!! shit shoved down my throat when I have no problem in the first place. THAT is what aggravates me. Obnoxiousness, and the idea that everyone who isn't gay is against gays.

DJ Rick 03.30.2007 11:26 AM

That's a pretty conflicted outlook.

val-holla-ing 03.30.2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunbury
pretty much.

i dont think beth/the gossip could be further from obnoxious aggravating fat dyke(s).
they do have a queer positive message if thats what danny meant.

yeah. i've spoken with beth a few times and she's never tried to rip my penis off which is generally characteristic of those "fat dykes".

i hate that word.

MellySingsDoom 04.01.2007 07:56 AM

Their "Standing In The Way Of Control" has been played so much on stations like Radio 1 and XFM (which I pretty much have to listen to at work all day) for so many weeks, me and my fellow workers have come to totally despise it, and this includes those who actually dug the tune initially. Comments about the band's look/sexuality are pretty tiresome and low, but I can live blissfully without hearing another note by them again.

val-holla-ing 04.01.2007 03:39 PM

some of them got silly haircuts.

sarramkrop 04.01.2007 03:42 PM

Why do you have opinions about them?

val-holla-ing 04.01.2007 03:44 PM

i'm from the south and that's just what we do.

sarramkrop 04.01.2007 03:47 PM

Really? I don't have opinions about anything. I'm from Italy and i just don't know about stuff, or rather i wouldn't want to know.

val-holla-ing 04.01.2007 04:05 PM

that's why these colors don't run, obviously.

sarramkrop 04.01.2007 04:42 PM

ok.

HaydenAsche 04.03.2007 06:02 PM

They've never struck me as something particularly amazing but they're decent.