Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Panda Bear - Person Pitch (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11853)

drrrtyboots 04.06.2007 12:27 PM

It's quite obvious that that guy just hates the beach boys and probably is making the same fucking assumption as every reviewer in saying Panda is trying to be Brian Wilson.

Derek 06.10.2009 02:52 PM

I've been relistening to this album recently and I've decided this the best AC-related album yet. A perfect pop album with the most perfect pop song at a whole 12 minutes long! (Bros.) I like Animal Collective a lot but I often find their albums to be nothing outstanding even though they are usually consistent. But I can actually listen to this album on a loop for a few hours and not get bored.

Oh and I think the Beach Boys comparison is overdone... of course it was influenced by Brian Wilson, that is obvious! This album would have been not as warm without the reverbed vocal harmonies. I'd rather he took something from another artist than make it sound shit, yeah?

SYRFox 06.10.2009 03:37 PM

I really enjoy this album, though it's far from my favorite AC-related record (Feels stands for that). I'm Not is my favorite on there, but all the tracks are neat songs really

atsonicpark 06.10.2009 03:48 PM

Pullhair Rubeye is my favorite AC-related album. Derek is right, though, this is probably better than any AC albums ... maybe tied with "sung tongs".

Feels sucks, in my opinion.

Derek 06.10.2009 03:48 PM

Feels is one of my least favourite... it sounds so plain I think. Still nice songs though.

SYRFox 06.10.2009 04:20 PM

I enjoy Feels the most because:

1) every song seems awesome to me. Grass, The Purple Bottle, Bees, Banshee Beat... all killers. The second part is more difficult to get into but I find it as good.
2) the overall atmosphere is incredible. I can't explain it, but there's something special in the way everything sounds, and it sounds fantastic to my ears
3) personal meaning. There's a before feels and a after feels in my life: before feels, i used to think that everything from the 00's was suckish revival. Then i discovered Feels and Drum's Not Dead one after the other and it changed my vision of music

AC is my second favorite band, right after Sonic Youth, by the way...

PAULYBEE2656 06.10.2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me
........... i do dig the formula one samples on the opener tho. actually the engine note tells me it maybe more of an irl engine than a f1 v8...if anyone here really cares!

i did subsequently find out it was indeed a sample of an f1 car at full chat.... a mclaren at a test session in barcelona during the spring of 2005. pedro de la rosa was at the wheel. seemingly noah sampled it from some televison footage....

now ill get my 2 anoraks!

noisereductions 06.10.2009 05:20 PM

It's in my Top 5 AC related albums. Yes.

alex_could 06.13.2009 02:59 AM

it is great!