Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spiders (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40581)

SONIC GAIL 07.22.2010 09:05 AM

I love my spiders. I let a few live in the corners and by windows because they will eat any other bugs trying to get in . We do have a few poisonous ones here. Widow spiders of all colors

and recluse my friend was bitten by one of these in her back yard

Think I have seen quite a few of these cause I live in swampy woods

SYRFox 07.22.2010 09:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DsaX...eature=related

_slavo_ 07.22.2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL

and recluse my friend was bitten by one of these in her back yard

Hey, these recluse spiders aren't the ones whose venom does really bad things to your skin?

shabbray2.0 07.22.2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox

hahahaha

jon boy 07.22.2010 12:01 PM

only the really big ones scare me and i havnt seen any of those in a long time although my last place was infested with them and i was forever having to pluck up the courage to get a glass and a bit of paper and take them into the back yard. as much as i dont like the really big ones i just cant bring myself to kill them. cockroaches on the other hand disgust me beyond belief.

nicfit 07.22.2010 12:23 PM

classic:

but it's more ewwwy than scary.
I hate scolopendrae as many others in here.
BTW, we had a thread about scary insects or something a while back, I'd gladly keep this for spiders only.
Just sayin'.

SONIC GAIL 07.22.2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Hey, these recluse spiders aren't the ones whose venom does really bad things to your skin?

They fuck you up if you do not get immediate medical attention to the bite. Especially young children. I don't care much for these and since there are so many brown spiders around here they are hard to identify.

jon boy 07.22.2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
They fuck you up if you do not get immediate medical attention to the bite. Especially young children. I don't care much for these and since there are so many brown spiders around here they are hard to identify.

the venom acts like an acid causing the bite to grow and the flesh around it to be eaten away. many pictures on google.

ploesj 07.22.2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
the venom acts like an acid causing the bite to grow and the flesh around it to be eaten away. many pictures on google.

i wish i didn't google that :(

nicfit 07.22.2010 01:29 PM

yep, that's what I mant in my last post, previous page.

Rob Instigator 07.22.2010 01:42 PM

we get some huge fucking spiders in Houston TX

These tarantulas (I have run across a few) can grow to 5 inches across

Rob Instigator 07.22.2010 01:46 PM

This is in Texas, not too far from my hometown

Lake Tawakoni State Park, n. Wills Point, Hunt Co., Texas
August 15, 2007 (Donna Garde) [pronounced like "guard"]

This web was first found by park staff on August 6, 2007, after an approximate two week absence of walking the trail.
This web and two other smaller versions are on the park's large northeastern peninsula jutting out into the lake.

You know how many of these spiders it must have taken to build that webbing in two weeks?

SpaceCadetHayden 07.22.2010 02:16 PM

I lived in New Mexico and got bit by a brown recluse. I hate spiders. However, in Minnesota, I simply skoff at their inability to harm me. I lived through a recluse bite with no treatment for 2 weeks. I think I can handle whatever.

chicka 07.22.2010 02:38 PM

Like Gail I enjoy them cause they catch, kill and eat flies.

Count Mecha 07.22.2010 02:39 PM

If they're not the size of say a grain of rice, then I get spooked pretty bad. The bigger, the scarier obviously. It's largely irrational. You know you always read how they're really largely not aggressive and won't bother for the most part. But whenever I see one, I feel like it's staring at me, just waiting for it's chance to get on me and bite me.

Except for daddy longlegs. Don't find those scary at all.

Phlegmscope 07.22.2010 03:30 PM

Threads like this remind me of the benefits of living up here in the god forsaken north. I'm a complete pussy when it comes to dealing with bigger insects and other nature's fuckwits such as arachnids. But I don't hate them and demand them all to be killed.

I'd shit myself if I had to step my foot in the amazonian jungle.

SONIC GAIL 07.22.2010 03:31 PM

You should see the raoches in Florida some are 3-4" long

Rob Instigator 07.22.2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
I lived in New Mexico and got bit by a brown recluse. I hate spiders. However, in Minnesota, I simply skoff at their inability to harm me. I lived through a recluse bite with no treatment for 2 weeks. I think I can handle whatever.

You may have gotten lucky and been bitten by a spider that had recently bit something else. their venom would not be replenished yet.

automatic bzooty 07.22.2010 03:58 PM

i'm terrified of spiders... especially the way they move...

atsonicpark 07.22.2010 04:26 PM

the spiders all in tune...

the evening of the moon..