Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Art and depression (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11055)

SynthethicalY 03.07.2007 01:34 AM

I am having a blast eating fried calamari.

Norma J 03.07.2007 02:46 AM

Depression gets old and boring, so what happens when hapiness does too? Then are you happier sad?

_slavo_ 03.07.2007 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie
I'll try not to sound too patronising, but: the older you get, the more comfortable you tend to be with the way you are.

I'm not sure about what you just said Pookie. With me it goes completely different way - the older I get, the more things I realize about the absurdity of the world surrounding me and the less I feel comfortable with. oh well.

Onani Nic 03.07.2007 04:51 AM

Dude, at least you are thinking about these issues. Most people don't think about anything outside their tiny world. I think negatively about most of those issues as well.

It could be a possible source of inspiration and a way to meet like minded people. You should feel good about your negative feelings towards those things. You're not oblivious to adverting, more conscious about what you consume and can make more beneficial decisions because of it your concerns. (Not really sure if any of that made sense).

SynthethicalY 03.07.2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Depression gets old and boring, so what happens when hapiness does too? Then are you happier sad?

That is why I stopped being down all the time, because it was getting old. I mean I had it since High School till about the end of last year. that is almost 7 years.

tesla69 03.07.2007 11:51 AM

Aliada on Broadwayin Astoria has the best grilled squid...

Rob Instigator 03.07.2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
when it does pass you'll find how many cool things there are out there and how great yr. life can be. i'm having a lot of fun just not giving a fuck about anything and trying new things for no reason (squid is gross. mike watt was wrong).

squid is deliciuos.

calimari is delicious

squid sushi is delicious

SynthethicalY 03.07.2007 12:00 PM

I hardly had sushi.

zedius 03.07.2007 12:02 PM

Yeah, I used to just disregard it. I'd like to just pretend it doesn't exist, because I don't think it's worth any of my attention and it makes me feel bad. But it's everywhere so unless I want to be a total hermit snob then I have to let it exist. I mean my girlfriend likes lots of cool stuff and is really intelligent, but she also likes to shop a lot and go out and dance to bad music. So if I just laugh at shit like that, I think she feels like I'm making fun of her. And all my friends like stupid shit like the saw trilogy and they want me to meet them at a club for their birthday and I'm like fuck no, why would I want to spend more money than I have to on beer and tips for bartenders and bad conversation.

So yeah, I think it would be better if I didn't have to acknowledge reality, but that's not really the case.

Edit: Calimari is delicious, and so is smoked octopus.

ALIEN ANAL 03.07.2007 12:02 PM

people who eat that chicken sushi stuff, and act like they are all 'oo i eat sushi i rock' piss me off..its just a mini chicken roll. its not raw and it tastes fine.

Rob Instigator 03.07.2007 12:02 PM

art and depression go hand in hand. depressioj and intelligence also go hand in hand
there ahve been psychological studies that treat "happiness" as just another delusion.
to be an artist you ahve to have your mind open to the world around you. some artists hate the world around them and create fantasy. Others depict the world around them. either way they ussually find the few beautiful good things in the world and expand on themn, or they decide to point out the sick and twiste in new ways.
understanding the world is depressing, because it makes it very hard to see the good and the beauty and the joy around us.
we will never rid the world of pain and suffering, in fact, it may be necesary to have pain and suffering if we are to have joy and happiness.

this in itself is a depressing thought.

shit happens
joy happens

but Pootie Tang always makes me happy

screamingskull 03.07.2007 12:31 PM

I'm done feeling depressed and wanting to kill myself, ive been there for too many years and i can't do it anymore, its a cycle, you have to figure out what's making you unhappy and cut it out of your life. For me that was a certain musician, whom i don't listen to anymore. And i feel much better!

You are normal, and there is nothing mentally wrong with you. Its just a phase. and if you can figure out away to get out of it then DO IT!!!!
i agree with cantankerous and SyntheticalY 100%

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.19.2011 07:22 PM

in a rut.

writing helps. even though i hate most of what i do.

i know i can do better. make films that'd actually be worth watching. i just question whether or not i have the will to put enough effort into something to make it good.

i feel as if i don't like doing anything, and i don't necessarily like anyone. i hate feeling like this. i just don't know exactly where i belong

i'm starting to stop caring about school, work, everything. and as a result of that get even more depressed.

writing helps. pretending i can make a worthwhile short film up to my own standards within 10 days helps too. but i know i'm only heading towards more disappointment.

Derek 10.19.2011 07:43 PM

also in a rut.

not getting accepted to the school i had my heart set on (twice), relationship is slowly dying out, no creative drive, no friends, anxiety and depression issues.

etc.

the ikara cult 10.19.2011 07:57 PM

unipolar depression makes being productive in any meaningful way impossible. Relying on any drug also exacerbates the negative tendencies in yr mind. Certain people need certain things to be productive - me, i need emotional security and sexual congress, but its all about what makes u feel comfortable kids

When i start hating my writing, thats when i do my most unpleasent and hurtful writing, which has alot of artistic value in itself.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.19.2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
also in a rut.

not getting accepted to the school i had my heart set on (twice), relationship is slowly dying out, no creative drive, no friends, anxiety and depression issues.

etc.

At least we have sweet counter-culture avatarz lol

Derek 10.19.2011 08:47 PM

mine is bigger.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.19.2011 09:01 PM

Yeah, but mine's black.

That's 'in' these days.

Derek 10.19.2011 09:03 PM

but

mine is

red

Dr. Eugene Felikson 10.19.2011 09:08 PM