Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café VII (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=116464)

Severian 11.01.2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Kanye was NOT talking about MAGA or Trump or his right wing idiot politics. he was strictly referring to being used as the fa e of the BLAXIT line of clothing, (calling for blacks to "exit" the democratic party.)

he is still sucking Trump's seeping asshole on the reg. he is still a fucking idiot asshole ingrate fuck.

A man can hope. Why you gotta play wipe-ass with my hopes?

choc e-Claire 11.01.2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
The Black Eyed Peas[...]no one is gonna care about them in 2018

Haha, they played at the Australian football Grand Final (think the Super Bowl). Apparently will.i.am checked his phone in the middle of the performance :D

Severian 11.02.2018 07:16 AM

New Vince Staples album called “FM!” dropped last night.

I’ve always really liked Vince, and on first listen this new hard-going, short and punchy EP-length album is no exception.

However — Howver , I say — every time Vince drops a new album I find myself expecting a tour de force on par with “Summertime ‘06,” which stretched the possibilities for a new hip-hop artist much like Kendrick’s “good kid, mAAd city” did. And every time, though I’m always happy with the result, I am a little disappointed that the sprawling, boundless, textured style of that first full-length album seems to behind him.

I like “Prima Donna,” and “Big Fish Theory” and this new one — all great projects — but, while these projects are fun and WAY above the standard quality level of hip-hop in the 2010s, the genius of “Summertime ‘06” has never been replicated.

I’ll be listening more for sure.

louder 11.02.2018 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
Haha, they played at the Australian football Grand Final (think the Super Bowl). Apparently will.i.am checked his phone in the middle of the performance :D

Tragic.. the new album is surprisingly dope.

h8kurdt 11.02.2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

I’ve always really liked Vince, and on first listen this new hard-going, short and punchy EP-length album is no exception.

However — Howver , I say — every time Vince drops a new album I find myself expecting a tour de force on par with “Summertime ‘06,” which stretched the possibilities for a new hip-hop artist much like Kendrick’s “good kid, mAAd city” did. And every time, though I’m always happy with the result, I am a little disappointed that the sprawling, boundless, textured style of that first full-length album seems to behind him.

I like “Prima Donna,” and “Big Fish Theory” and this new one — all great projects — but, while these projects are fun and WAY above the standard quality level of hip-hop in the 2010s, the genius of “Summertime ‘06” has never been replicated.

I’ll be listening more for sure.

It's incredible how diametrically different you and Rob are in what you want from rap music.
I'll admit I'm off the same feelings as you. His summertime album was something else for sure. I'll give his new one a whirl though.

Rob Instigator 11.02.2018 09:42 AM

disenfranchised Dirty South Third Coast, y'alll.

hhahahahahahah.

I like songs about drugs n shit.

When you grow up in the H listening to Geto Boys, Scarface, UGK, DJ Screw, Paul Wall, Slim Thug, etc., you grow to understand how pathetic so many pop rappers are.

Rob Instigator 11.02.2018 09:47 AM

I love Norf Norf tho....

LOVE IT.

Love that fucked up sound behind his voice.

I love rappers who do not double track their voices every single fucking line. I HATE THAT SHIT. I want to hear ONE voice.

Rob Instigator 11.02.2018 10:14 AM

Bitch you're thirsty go grab a sprite

Rob Instigator 11.02.2018 10:16 AM

I also love how at the end of Norf Norf he raps about how he wants the Astros to take an L.

Severian 11.02.2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

I love Norf Norf tho....

LOVE IT.

Love that fucked up sound behind his voice.

I love rappers who do not double track their voices every single fucking line. I HATE THAT SHIT. I want to hear ONE voice.

Funnily enough, Thurston Moore double-tracked pretty much every vocal he laid down between 1985 and 1991, and he’s ¼ of the reason we know each other.

Severian 11.02.2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
It's incredible how diametrically different you and Rob are in what you want from rap music.
I'll admit I'm off the same feelings as you. His summertime album was something else for sure. I'll give his new one a whirl though.

Yeah fuck that guy.

“I like dumb slappy shit that slaps and is dumb by Migos cuz I’m from the south.”

Vomit.

I like expansive, thoughtful, resplendent and transcendent hip-hop that makes me forget I’m listening to a genre and feel like I’m *experiencing something special musically.*

(Pretty sure we agree about OutKast and to a lesser extent Big KRIT, though.)

Severian 11.02.2018 02:23 PM

Again, the trinity to which all modern rap music shall be compared is: Kanye/Kendrick/Frank Ocean. Leading auteur type; leading R-A-P type; leading artful pop/R&B/soul type, respectively.

Rob Instigator 11.02.2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Funnily enough, Thurston Moore double-tracked pretty much every vocal he laid down between 1985 and 1991, and he’s ¼ of the reason we know each other.

double tracked singing is fine. I hate double tracked rapping.

Rob Instigator 11.02.2018 02:44 PM

Migos is third rate BTW.

Future is GAWD

Rob Instigator 11.02.2018 02:46 PM

"I ain't got no manners for dem sluts / I'ma put my thumb in her butt."

hahahahahhaaha

Long lineage of hilarity, from Slick Rick, to 2$hort, to 2LiveCrew, all the way to Future Hendrix.....

Rob Instigator 11.02.2018 03:37 PM

Kanye thinks getting stripper asshole bleach on his shirt is funny, which it is NOT, because what type of stripper does not wipe their asshole bleach off before going to work? Kanye is so stupid. SO STUPID.

Severian 11.02.2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Kanye thinks getting stripper asshole bleach on his shirt is funny, which it is NOT, because what type of stripper does not wipe their asshole bleach off before going to work? Kanye is so stupid. SO STUPID.

Sounded dumb to me at first, but took on new meaning when I saw it CHANTED by thousands of people. Now it would be weird if the lyrics were anything else.

I mean, it’s still dumb, but that song bangs and those words are so audacious that it just works! That song — like all of Kanye’s music — has built a little home for itself inside of my soul. Like a tapeworm.

Kanye may be a dumbass, but his music works even when it shouldn’t. His music eats your music.

In fact, “Codeine Crazy” is just a prolonged reaction to something Kanye ate and digested 10 years ago, shat out through Future’s mouth.

choc e-Claire 11.02.2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

That cover looks very familiar...

Severian 11.03.2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
That cover looks very familiar...

Know what? I thought it looked familiar too, but this never crossed my mind.

louder 11.03.2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

Know what? I thought it looked familiar too, but this never crossed my mind.

It's intentional. Peep and compare the gods in the upper right corner.

Severian 11.03.2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

It's intentional. Peep and compare the gods in the upper right corner.

Ah, yep.

Well, obviously it’s intentional. I just can’t believe I didn’t recognize it right away.

BYW, what do you think of it? Of Vince, these days?

Wanna join me in bashing Rob?

Rob Instigator 11.05.2018 09:30 AM

anyone referencing Green Day in any way can go fucking drop dead.

Severian 11.05.2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

anyone referencing Green Day in any way can go fucking drop dead.

But... you just did. In some way. So.. sucks

evollove 11.05.2018 01:42 PM

"Lift Me Up" is great. Everything else disappoints.

louder 11.05.2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Ah, yep.

Well, obviously it’s intentional. I just can’t believe I didn’t recognize it right away.

BYW, what do you think of it? Of Vince, these days?

Wanna join me in bashing Rob?

Always love Vince. He's more of a "rapping rapper" than Travis, but still has really interesting and dope production choices.

Rob Instigator 11.05.2018 04:33 PM

Codeine Crazy is fucking awesome man. https://youtu.be/7cDYYvOhKwg

perfect for late night drugathons. Future Hendrix........

louder 11.05.2018 04:43 PM

Vince Staples Reportedly Plans To Release Four Albums In 2019

https://genius.com/a/vince-staples-r...albums-in-2019

That's crazy. Won't be surprised if they're all under 25 mins though. Seems like the new marketing strategy for rappers.

Rob Instigator 11.05.2018 04:45 PM

basically 4 EP's. Not a bad idea

KISS did it already tho.....

Severian 11.05.2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Vince Staples Reportedly Plans To Release Four Albums In 2019

That's crazy. Won't be surprised if they're all under 25 mins though. Seems like the new marketing strategy for rappers.

HUH.... now WHERE DID THAT IDEA COME FROM, I WONDER!

Was it, like, Future or someone? Hmm.

Severian 11.05.2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Codeine Crazy is fucking awesome man. https://youtu.be/7cDYYvOhKwg

perfect for late night drugathons. Future Hendrix........

That ain’t it chief.

You’re too old for late night drugathons. I doubt you’re having any. Hell, I’m way too old, so you’re definitely too old.

We’re in the “prescription Xanax and bump of a joint if feeling crazy” phase of pre-midlife lameness.

choc e-Claire 11.06.2018 12:18 AM

Quote:

Bytor Peltor 11.07.2018 04:37 PM

Broken Machine Films Presents - RAPism Vol 1

Vacation Bible School - The Jesus Movement

louder 11.17.2018 01:46 AM

Anderson .Paak's new album is awesome.. Dr. Dre executive produced and engineered along with co-production from him on most tracks.

Features from Kendrick, Snoop, Pusha, Q-Tip and J.Cole..

Not better than Malibu but still really good.

Rob Instigator 11.19.2018 08:31 AM

ASTROWORLD FEST was a massive success. I was sad to miss it, but a friend that went said it was fucking amazing.

Severian 11.19.2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

ASTROWORLD FEST was a massive success. I was sad to miss it, but a friend that went said it was fucking amazing.

I was just going to ask if you went.

I heard good things too.

Would have rather been at Camp Flog Gnaw through. Cuz we are super different kinds of rap fans.

Rob Instigator 11.19.2018 12:15 PM

$200 a ticket. I am too broke for that mess. it would have been awesome though.

louder 11.20.2018 05:14 PM

Earl's new album is titled "some rap songs".

Here's the cover art:

15 songs, 30 mins.

Drops next weekend.

Okay Earl..

Severian 11.20.2018 05:52 PM

Quote:

Earl's new album is titled "some rap songs".

Here's the cover art:

15 songs, 30 mins.

Drops next weekend.

Okay Earl..

I was just about to post this.

Big year for hip hop, even if not the best year. Most of the genre’s
major players released something. I don’t think there’s been this much activity since 2013.

Looking forward to new Earl.

h8kurdt 11.21.2018 04:43 AM

Anyone noticed the trend is super short albums now? So many rap albums out stay their welcome, even the classics, so this is a welcome trend.

Severian 11.21.2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Anyone noticed the trend is super short albums now? So many rap albums out stay their welcome, even the classics, so this is a welcome trend.

Yah noticed

Either super short or super long. Basically either quick and concise or stream-trolling 3-hour behemoths.

Personally I think these 20-minute albums are too short to be considered albums. Records like Yeezus and DAMN., that severed all the extraneous stuff and say what needs to be said in 10 tracks over about 40 minutes — those are where it’s at for me.

20-minute albums just make me wonder why. And, “Is this really all I’m going to get this year from this artist?”

Kids See Ghosts is the only one that somehow feels like more than 7 songs. Feels like an album.