Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café IV (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=110922)

Rob Instigator 03.11.2015 04:17 PM

This cover tells you a lot about what PE was about

Rob Instigator 03.11.2015 04:19 PM

when I pull out the vinyl this one looks awesome.

louder 03.11.2015 05:33 PM

by the way h8kurdt, "stereotypes about rap music"? i'm not sure what you mean?? pretty sure Kendrick was going for a Django Unchained type cover.

Kendrick is supposedly the shirtless dude there who's holding a white baby, and the people around him are his friends from Compton. i think that's a pretty cool cover to be honest.

louder 03.11.2015 05:38 PM

wow!

the boy is all grown up now huh.. finally not looking like a little dork.

h8kurdt 03.11.2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
by the way h8kurdt, "stereotypes about rap music"? i'm not sure what you mean?? pretty sure Kendrick was going for a Django Unchained type cover.

Kendrick is supposedly the shirtless dude there who's holding a white baby, and the people around him are his friends from Compton. i think that's a pretty cool cover to be honest.

Figured I'd get pulled up on it. NEVERMIND! Just my opinion.

[IMG]the boy is all grown up now huh.. finally not looking like a little dork.[/IMG]

When I saw him last year he looked like he'd grown up a hell of a lot. His stage presence on such a massive stage as it was, was pretty incredible. Something that, I think, takes a hell of a lot of years to build up and he's got it already.

louder 03.11.2015 05:57 PM

yeah man, have you heard "Never Catch Me" off the FlyLo album that came out last year? that's easily one of his best performances ever in my opinion, that song makes me wanna cry.. on Good Kid he was already the best rapper in the world, now he's pretty much a God.

i sound like a little fanboy, but seriously.. i'm proud to say i've been rooting for him from the start, even before Section 80 dropped i already knew he was destined to be the greatest living MC.

h8kurdt 03.11.2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

yeah man, have you heard "Never Catch Me" off the FlyLo album that came out last year? that's easily one of his best performances ever in my opinion, that song makes me wanna cry.. on Good Kid he was already the best rapper in the world, now he's pretty much a God.

i sound like a little fanboy, but seriously.. i'm proud to say i've been rooting for him from the start, even before Section 80 dropped i already knew he was destined to be the greatest living MC.

Yeah man, my jaw drops every time I listen to that. I've been watching it with the video a lot recently which is just perfect. Check it out if you haven't

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.11.2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
when I pull out the vinyl this one looks awesome.

Thank you for sharing good taste

louder 03.11.2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Yeah man, my jaw drops every time I listen to that. I've been watching it with the video a lot recently which is just perfect. Check it out if you haven't

the vid is great, even though it doesn't really match the images and colors i see in my head when i hear it.

i still can't believe we're about to get a bunch of new Kendrick x FlyLo collabs in less than two weeks. FlyLo already confirmed pretty much what i've been thinking this whole time on Twitter: https://twitter.com/flyinglotus/stat...91269267320834

louder 03.11.2015 06:10 PM

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...issue-20150311
Quote:

Sonically, Lamar’s new album is adventurous, incorporating elements of funk, spoken-word poetry, and free-jazz, augmented by lots of live playing. (Lamar says he was listening to a lot of Miles Davis and Parliament while making it.) “It’s a unique sound,” says Sounwave. “Every producer I’ve ever met was sending me stuff [for the album], but there was a one-in-a-million chance you could send a beat that actually fit what we were doing.” Lamar’s longtime engineer, Derek "MixedByAli" Ali, says the rapper would often talk in moods: “He would say, ‘I want it to sound eerie,’ or ‘I want it to sound like you’re driving past something.’ Or he talks in colors: ‘Make it sound purple. Make it sound light green.’”

rebeccagotcursedout 03.11.2015 08:10 PM

Kendrick cover is cool. what's the big deal?

greatest rapper out now. excited about the new Kanye too.

Severian 03.11.2015 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Thank you for sharing good taste

Everyone knows this shit is golden.

noisereductions 03.12.2015 07:16 PM

To Pimp a Butterfly:
01 Wesley's Theory
02 For Free? (Interlude)
03 King Kunta
04 Institutionalized
05 These Walls
06 U
07 Alright
08 For Sale? (Interlude)
09 Momma
10 Hood Politics
11 How Much A Dollar Cost
12 Complexion
13 The Blacker The Berry
14 You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said)
15 i
16 Mortal Man

louder 03.13.2015 03:34 AM

"Complexion" could be the Untitled song from Colbert..

louder 03.13.2015 03:36 AM

this new Death Grips song is the best shit they dropped in a while. https://youtube.com/watch?v=cinJDxLUsNY

Severian 03.13.2015 07:32 PM

Ok, I love "The Blacker the Berry" ... A lot. Listening to the song is actually making me feel pretty awesome about that album cover after all. Some seriously powerful topics and messages in that song. Gives the album more of a guerrilla feel... I hope most of the record is angry and scathing like "TBTB." So... I kinda hope "i" is the only "i-like" song around.

Also, can't get enough of "All Day" and "Wolves."

Listening to all the guest bits Ye's throwing into these recent songs, is it possible that So Help Me God is going to end up being like a bizarre second act to MBDTF, just as Yeezus was described by many as being the antithesis, or equal opposite of 808's & Heartbreak?

All Day certainly had the maximalist Yeezy feel. 808's was minimal and stark, but it had instrumental/sonic themes and it felt self-contained. Yeezus was like an application of the minimalist makeover to the buzzsaw bombast of MBDTF and WTT, but the delivery and the product were closer to 808's than either of those other albums. It was like 808&HB's evil twin.

Could So Help Me God be MBDTF's ... Uhh... GOOD twin? (No pun was really intended until I realized it was gonna happen, at which point I smiled and decided to let it happen anyway, so saying "no pun intended" would be a lie.)

Curiouser...

Severian 03.13.2015 07:32 PM

Quote:

this new Death Grips song is the best shit they dropped in a while. https://youtube.com/watch?v=cinJDxLUsNY

Damn yo they be on FIRE for being broken up n' shit!

rebeccagotcursedout 03.13.2015 11:52 PM

lol

Genteel Death 03.14.2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
This cover tells you a lot about what PE was about

I haven't listened to PE in years. Goddamn Flava Flav for having a Vh1 show. I mean, he was part of the hip-hop genre's closest thing to hardcore punk. I can't imagine Chuck D would approve. But back when I did bump PE regularly, It Takes a Nation... was always my favorite record. Superior to Fear of a Black Planet, though few would agree, it's the sound of hip hop shedding all novelty and getting real.

noisereductions 03.14.2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I haven't listened to PE in years. Goddamn Flava Flav for having a Vh1 show. I mean, he was part of the hip-hop genre's closest thing to hardcore punk. I can't imagine Chuck D would approve. But back when I did bump PE regularly, It Takes a Nation... was always my favorite record. Superior to Fear of a Black Planet, though few would agree, it's the sound of hip hop shedding all novelty and getting real.

I agree that Takes A Nation is superior. Although I'm really the odd man out as Apocalypse 91 is my fav PE record. Prob just nostalgia. But I love that album hard. It Takes A Nation is way up there tho.