Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   (actual) world cup thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40145)

gualbert 06.28.2010 06:43 PM

Well you tell me..

Regardless of political concern, I hope Brazil will lose: they've been cheating twice (vs cote d'ivoire and portugal), and the referees were obviously on their side each time. :eek:

pokkeherrie 06.28.2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Although I've dismissed it in the past, maybe there is just too much pressure on England players. There's an irrational expectancy at the heart of England supporters. It's stuck in some mythical past with no real acknowledgement that the game has changed a lot since 1966. England fans see everything in black and white: either England are the best team in the world, or the worst. Most people are looking for a scapegoat and Capello's the obvious target - especially as he's foreign and therefore "doesn't understand the English way". God knows.

I'm starting to wonder how other nations' supporters think of their team? Is there the same pressure on Holland's players, for example?

There's some pressure, but nobody in Holland really expects them to win the trophy. what people do expect is "beautiful footbal", "dominating play" and that kind of thing. After each and every game so far journalists and people like Cruyff have been criticising the lack of entertainment, the conservative tactics, etc.... What they want to see is something like Arsenal or Barcelona, what they get is Inter Milan.

Van Marwijk sometimes seems to get annoyed by journalists who keep focussing on good football rather than results. At the same time I think some of the more creative players (Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Van Persie) seem to get frustrated by the lack of freedom they have.

I think one of the biggest differences between Holland and England as far as pressure goes is probably the way that the UK tabloids are always hyping up the England team as being the best in the world in a way that the general public starts believing it.

pokkeherrie 06.28.2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Too bad Vittek didn't properly polish his shoes today (except for the penalty in the last seconds). We had our chances, but the Dutch were a tough cookie today. From now on, I hope for you guys to go far, because it's a pleasure to see Robben, Kuyt and Sneijder play.
I didn't like how some of our guys played today (especially Weiss, no.7, who is a very gifted and technically skilled guy, however he's too young and tends to hold on to the ball for too long), but there's room for improvement, as majority of our team memebers are under 25 yrs.

Brazil is not as strong as it used to be, you can sail through if you really try.

I think Holland really should've scored a second one before the hour mark, they had plenty of chances. But when that goal didn't come (Mucha had some good saves by the way!) I was starting to get worried. Slovakia had some good chances of equalising and I had the impression that your players didn't fully realise it... maybe it was their lack of experience or maybe they were affraid of a counter-attack. Anyway, if they had scored 1-1 then anything could've happened. Still, I think Slovakia can look back at a succesful tournament. Surely that win over Italy must have been a big party in Bratislava? And Vittek can still win the Golden Boot! :)

Stekelenburg really should've just conceded the goal rather than trying to save at the expense of a penalty. Now he's on a yellow card and won't be able to make a similar save/foul against Brazil if necessary. I'm happy with his goalkeeping, but the Dutch central defense is looking vulnerable. The errors they made today and in the game against Cameroon would surely be punished by Luis Fabiano et al.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
that was such a Booooring first half, it got exciting in the second when the Slovakians finally showed up.

I'm not sure you'll be seeing much exciting stuff from Holland this tournament. :(

pokkeherrie 06.28.2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

I really thought Brazil were awesome tonight. Strong in every area. Maicon and Lucio at the back seem like immovable objects while Silva is running things from midfield.

Brazil v Holland is gonna be a great game but I think, even with Robben's return, that Holland will have to improve if they wanna get through that defence. Never mind the fact they seem capable of cutting teams open on the counter-attack, almost at will.

That was the most impressive team performance I think I've seen in this tournament so far.

Haven't seen all of the Brazil game, but what I saw was looking very good and I agree with your points. Holland have been struggling to break down teams like Denmark and Japan, so I don't give us much of a chance against Brazil.

If Brazil score first then I fear they'll rip the Dutch apart on the counter-attack. If Holland score first then they may have a chance, but they'll really have to play better than they've done so far. Maybe it's time to drop Van Persie in favour of Huntelaar.

This one game will be all-decisive for the Dutch campaign. If Holland goes out, then nobody will remember their 4 wins, because they were mostly colourless, workman-like and not all that convincing. But if they do upset Brazil, then all of a sudden there's "only" Uruguay or Ghana left to beat on the way to the final.

_slavo_ 06.28.2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Still, I think Slovakia can look back at a succesful tournament. Surely that win over Italy must have been a big party in Bratislava? And Vittek can still win the Golden Boot! :)

True, it was much more than we all expected. Yesterday in the national newspaper I read an article covering the most impressive sport achievements of Slovakian history (dating back to 1993 when our country emerged from the void) and this tournament already ranked #2, being topped only by our memorable 2002 World Cup Ice Hockey gold medal. Shit, those were the days. The whole city was drunk.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.28.2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gualbert
Well you tell me..

Regardless of political concern, I hope Brazil will lose: they've been cheating twice (vs cote d'ivoire and portugal), and the referees were obviously on their side each time. :eek:

who said I was rooting for Brasil? That gol was utter shit against Cote d'Ivore..
Quote:

I think Holland really should've scored a second one before the hour mark, they had plenty of chances. But when that goal didn't come (Mucha had some good saves by the way!) I was starting to get worried. Slovakia had some good chances of equalising and I had the impression that your players didn't fully realise it... maybe it was their lack of experience or maybe they were affraid of a counter-attack. Anyway, if they had scored 1-1 then anything could've happened. Still, I think Slovakia can look back at a succesful tournament. Surely that win over Italy must have been a big party in Bratislava? And Vittek can still win the Golden Boot! :)

I'm not sure you'll be seeing much exciting stuff from Holland this tournament. :(

agree completely both with Hollanda needing the second gol in the first half and with Slovakia surely being proud and worth celebrating over that great victory over Italia, after all just making it into the world cup is an accomplishment let alone dethroning a super hyped team.. but Paises Bajos needed to play better against Slovakia do demonstrate the world class skill needed to take it in the next round, and they simply did not show it today, though they still have it in em.. They are the only European team I am rooting for ;)
Quote:

Haven't seen all of the Brazil game, but what I saw was looking very good and I agree with your points. Holland have been struggling to break down teams like Denmark and Japan, so I don't give us much of a chance against Brazil.

If Holland score first then they may have a chance, but they'll really have to play better than they've done so far. Maybe it's time to drop Van Persie in favour of Huntelaar.

exactly why they need to up their game, but I think they have been enjoyable to watch thus far.. against Brasil though? Cote D'Ivore was a spectacular team and there was only one thing which kept them out of advancing, they had to play Brasil..

demonrail666 06.28.2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

There's some pressure, but nobody in Holland really expects them to win the trophy. what people do expect is "beautiful footbal", "dominating play" and that kind of thing. After each and every game so far journalists and people like Cruyff have been criticising the lack of entertainment, the conservative tactics, etc.... What they want to see is something like Arsenal or Barcelona, what they get is Inter Milan. ...

I think one of the biggest differences between Holland and England as far as pressure goes is probably the way that the UK tabloids are always hyping up the England team as being the best in the world in a way that the general public starts believing it.

Yeah, that makes total sense, and it's very much how the Dutch team is perceived here. No English commentator can ever talk about a Holland team without mentioning total football at least ten times per half.

Quote:

If Brazil score first then I fear they'll rip the Dutch apart on the counter-attack. If Holland score first then they may have a chance, but they'll really have to play better than they've done so far.

An early Holland goal would be really interesting. I don't think I've seen Brazil chase a game yet and it's hard to imagine how effective they'd be in that situation. So I suppose there's a temptation to try and blitz them from the beginning but that's precisely what Chile tried, and Maicon and Lucio just soaked it up. I think they can be beaten but it'll take one or two moments of brilliance to do it, and a seriously good defence. Is Ruud Krol still available?

knox 06.28.2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

I really thought Brazil were awesome tonight. Strong in every area. Maicon and Lucio at the back seem like immovable objects while Silva is running things from midfield.

Brazil v Holland is gonna be a great game but I think, even with Robben's return, that Holland will have to improve if they wanna get through that defence. Never mind the fact they seem capable of cutting teams open on the counter-attack, almost at will.

That was the most impressive team performance I think I've seen in this tournament so far.

yes
yes y
yes
yesy eysy eys
yes
yes

happy times.
the drunkos think so too.

!@#$%! 06.29.2010 12:15 AM

the reason brazil looked great today was because they finally allowed themselves to play freely on the offensive.

it helped that chile is not strong on defense and went on the attack from the start, leaving brazil spaces to do their thing. chile was forced to do that, and it was an uphill climb which eventually defeated them.

chicka-- reason brazil kept attacking is not a moral but logical one-- folding back on defense would play to the chile's strengths, i.e., attack (bielsa is famous for his offensive game). so the best way for them to protect their advantage was by increasing it.

then again, man to man, each brazilian player was better than its chilean counterpart, so in the end it was a matter of sheer "weight". they played qualifiers in the same group (CONMEBOL) and chile could not beat brazil-- it hasn't in 10 years.

i'm looking forward to elano's return, who remains benched due to injury. i hope his bones aren't fucked or something, he's been great.

a brazil-argentina final would be specfuckingtacular, by the way.

jon boy 06.29.2010 12:19 AM

i am so sick of brazil winning football, i really want someone like japan or holland to win it.

knox 06.29.2010 10:08 AM

shut up jon boy.
seriously.

and symbol i told you.
its the rule, they only play like they can if its worth something.

brazil-argentina would be awful. AWFUL.

!@#$%! 06.29.2010 11:43 AM

WHAT A GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

loved it. TENSE. contested. fucking penalties. AWESOME.

last 10 minutes was like a weird game of badmington but the first 90 nobody let down. tight...

--

knox- watchu talking about? south american classic!

jon boy 06.29.2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
shut up jon boy.
seriously.

and symbol i told you.
its the rule, they only play like they can if its worth something.

brazil-argentina would be awful. AWFUL.

well it aint japan, i really wanted them to win and knox you know its gonna be brazil in the final dont ya.

davenotdead 06.29.2010 12:01 PM

man thats heartbreaking.... feel generally sad for Japan and especially for the defender who missed his PK

knox 06.29.2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
well it aint japan, i really wanted them to win and knox you know its gonna be brazil in the final dont ya.

i know a lot of things i cant talk about because im psychic.

Rob Instigator 06.29.2010 12:31 PM

why did this guy pick and eat his booger?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA803...layer_embedded

chicka 06.29.2010 01:05 PM

What a shame. I was rooting for Japan hopping to see a South American team finally loose. Don't understand why the coach would put a guy who's never scored a goal in that position, I would of though save him until forced to use him in sudden death. Sloppy refereeing at least they didn't make a game changing error.

The bad boys against the pretty boys this afternoon. Will Spain continue to go uncarded? Will Portugal's muscle and Ranaldo's flopping antics be enough? Let's go Espana!

jon boy 06.29.2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

i know a lot of things i cant talk about because im psychic.

what else come on no one looks here.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.29.2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

i am so sick of brazil winning football, i really want someone like japan or holland to win it.

yeah, but then it might be a boring, scoreless or low scoring match like the last Hollanda and Japon matches turned out to be..

Quote:

Originally Posted by davenotdead
man thats heartbreaking.... feel generally sad for Japan and especially for the defender who missed his PK

I was feeling for Japon as well, I feel they outplayed Paraguay, but its was fucking UGLY! that ref was BULLSHIT! he blew the whistle LITERALLY every minute! That killed the tempo for either team... it was seriously the most boring match yet, thought Japon did bring some very exciting blocks and a even few dazzling offensive plays..

what was up with all those head shots? Seriously, it was comedic! I never seen so much head shots in any of the 40 odd matches I've got in this cup so far!

That match ended up so long, boring, and technical that I only kept watching it because I had already invested so much time into it.. I wanted Japon to make it, and they were fun to watch at times, but generally these teams were evenly matched, they blocked each others kicks, they continually stole from each other, they blocked each others passes and plays, and generally matched each others abilities and attempts so perfectly that it was just back and forth, though I honestly can't help but wonder if an interesting and even good match would have evolved had that ref shoved that damn whistle up his ass instead of blowing it so often..

paraguay on the other end, looked terrible, sloppy and slow, their only saving grace was a solid defense to block every Japanese attempt..

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
What a shame. I was rooting for Japan hopping to see a South American team finally loose.

Sloppy refereeing at least they didn't make a game changing error.

The bad boys against the pretty boys this afternoon. Will Spain continue to go uncarded? Will Portugal's muscle and Ranaldo's flopping antics be enough? Let's go Espana!

fuck espania, I hope those Eurotrash bastards get eliminated, and then Portugal can get tossed out next ;)

its an Americas cup this year, though it looks clear now from the seed, I been calling it as Argentina vs Brasil since I saw Argentina's first match..

knox 06.29.2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

what else come on no one looks here.

idk
i might get drunk tonight and start telling people things

!@#$%! 06.29.2010 01:57 PM

iker mano de trapo

pokkeherrie 06.29.2010 02:57 PM

I'm sooo happy that Spain scored first.

I'd hate to see Portugal steal the victory with a single counter-attack/free-kick/corner. It's time for the Portuguese to come out and play.

!@#$%! 06.29.2010 03:25 PM

fuck, i wanted portugal to win. actually, it's more like i wanted spain to lose, even though they were much better and deserved to win. eduardo was the hero that saved portugal from a massacre. i hope paraguay beats them, though the odds are long.

demonrail666 06.29.2010 03:44 PM

Why don't you like Spain?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.29.2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

idk

me first me first!

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
fuck, i wanted portugal to win. actually, it's more like i wanted spain to lose, even though they were much better and deserved to win. eduardo was the hero that saved portugal from a massacre. i hope paraguay beats them, though the odds are long.

I agree completely.. I don't necessarily like Portugal at all, but then again I can't fucking stand espania! However, it was obvious that Espania dominated them in this match and definitely outplayed them..
what an opposite compared to this morning with Japon, where was the ref? It was wilder than an Eastcoast NBA game, pure pushing, shoving, grabbing, holding etc etc... but at least the ref let it keep going unlike that damn momentum breaking ref earlier, shit that game never even really got started!
Quote:

why should we?

lucky for us, espania shall run into the wall that is Brasil soon come..

Its like the fucking WWF Royal Rumble, who is getting tossed out next ;)

(Brazil waiting for it..)

jon boy 06.29.2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

idk

do it do it do it.

!@#$%! 06.29.2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

soy sudaca

ha ha ha haaaaaa

chicka 06.29.2010 05:43 PM

I definitely think Portugal was the dirtiest team in the tournament. I'm glad to see them out of it. I sure hope to see Spain vs. Brazil and Argentina vs. Uruguay but that's miles away and anything can happen as I've learned. I sure am going to be sorry when it's all over...

demonrail666 06.29.2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
I definitely think Portugal was the dirtiest team in the tournament. I'm glad to see them out of it. I sure hope to see Spain vs. Brazil and Argentina vs. Uruguay but that's miles away and anything can happen as I've learned. I sure am going to be sorry when it's all over...

Yeah, while it's hardly a certainty, a Brazil - Argentina final is looking increasingly likely. Spain seem too reliant on David Villa while both Holland and Germany seem a bit shakey at the back. Uruguay look good but haven't been tested yet against a really strong side, and i don't think even Ghana themselves expect them to go any further than the quarter finals.

From what I've seen so far, it's very much Brazil's to lose now.

And as for being sorry when it's all over, I'm depressed we're gonna have a three day break before then next game! One of the best World Cups I can remember.

demonrail666 06.29.2010 08:12 PM

Anyway, no games until Friday so, in terms of the tournament so far what has been your...

Favourite Team:

Most Annoying Team:

Most Disappointing Team:

Surprise Team:

Favourite Player:

Most Annoying Player:

Most Disappointing Player:

Favourite Moment:

Worst Moment:

Most Controversial Moment:

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.29.2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Yeah, while it's hardly a certainty, a Brazil - Argentina final is looking increasingly likely. Spain seem too reliant on David Villa while both Holland and Germany seem a bit shakey at the back. Uruguay look good but haven't been tested yet against a really strong side, and i don't think even Ghana themselves expect them to go any further than the quarter finals.

And as for being sorry when it's all over, I'm depressed we're gonna have a three day break before then next game! One of the best World Cups I can remember.

i been expecting it to be argentina contra brasil however.. lately I been thinkin, if Germany brings the fire they got a chance to knock out argentina! Spain doesn't stand a chance against Brasil, well a bit of a fight, but hardly likely a win, Paraguay of course, but Brasil? Ghana can't bring it against Germany, they tried, at least they made it farther than any African team since Senegal in 1990..

Brazil is a sure bet to knock out the Netherlands, and Argentina will surely take out Uruguay, but Germany might just be able to stop em from reaching the Final.. at the very least, they probably takin third fo sho..

fuck it, I'm happy that all the other Eurotrash teams are out, peace out France, Peace Out Italy, Peace Out England, Peace out Portugal, soon to be Peace out Spain. Fuck it, I like the Netherlands, but in reality, its gonna Peace out Oranjes..

Its the Americas cup, but I hope the next round is a bit more exciting then this last one, aside from the US game, the South Korea match and this last Spain/Portugal this round has been rather boring..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.29.2010 08:20 PM

Quote:

Anyway, no games until Friday so, in terms of the tournament so far what has been your...

Favourite Team:
to watch, Argentina, to have not let me down, Ghana.

Most Annoying Team:
fucking France

Most Disappointing Team:
South Africa (shit, they just needed ONE more goal point :()

Surprise Team:
honestly, the US

Favourite Player:
Gyan

Most Annoying Player:
Valdez, Paraguay, I hate that bastard, I just wanna sock his ass, but he could probably take me so I really shouldn't

Most Disappointing Player:
The refs

Favourite Moment:

the US goal in Injury Time, my jah!!

Worst Moment:

South Africa getting that offsides

Most Controversial Moment:
fucking Brasil getting that bullshit second goal, that shit broke Cote D'Ivore

demonrail666 06.29.2010 08:51 PM

Favourite Team: Supporting Holland and Spain but most impressed by Brazil

Most Annoying Team: None so far really. Probably Portugal.

Most Disappointing Team: England

Surprise Team: Uruguay

Favourite Player: Maicon

Most Annoying Player: None've stood out so, by default, Ronaldo.

Most Disappointing Player: Rooney

Favourite Moment: Watching Brazil against Chile.

Worst Moment: Germany's third goal against England.

Most Controversial Moment: Lampard's disallowed goal

_slavo_ 06.29.2010 11:13 PM

Favourite Team: Slovakia. Other than that, Spain and South Korea.

Most Annoying Team: out of long term hatred i should've said Germany, but since I actually like a lot how they play on this tournament, I go for the kings of boredom - Greece

Most Disappointing Team: England, as usual

Surprise Team: Slovakia, definitely.

Favourite Player: Muller (GER), Villa (ESP)

Most Annoying Player: Christiano Ronaldo, the most annoying player in the history of sport

Most Disappointing Player: Messi, Torres

Favourite Moment: Slovakia beating Italy 3-2. I nearly got a heart attack in the end of the game

Worst Moment: North Korea 0-7 loss against Portugal. I hope them Koreans won't be sent to work camps now.

Most Controversial Moment: Lampard's dissallowed goal.

Satan 06.29.2010 11:25 PM

=( =( japan's out, lolol they were all crying at the end of the game today.

greece sucks

england is first and foremost disappointing because crouchy ain't doing the robot.

the best part of the world cup is when they get slightly hurt and lay there covering their faces with their hands like THE PAAAIN OHHH THE PAIN, they should take some acting lessons

demonrail666 06.30.2010 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
the kings of boredom - Greece

Yes!

Beautiful Plateau 06.30.2010 06:12 AM

Qs

Favourite Team: Chile

Most Annoying Team: Netherlands

Most Disappointing Team: Chile

Surprise Team: New Zealand

Favourite Player: Lionel Messi

Most Annoying Player: Cristiano Ronaldo

Most Disappointing Player: Fernando Torres

Favourite Moment: injury-time winner from Landon Donovan (USA - Algeria) The goal brought the USA to the knock-out stages.

Worst Moment: Maurice Edu's disallowed goal at 2-2 during the USA - Algeria match

Most Controversial Moment: England's unrewarded goal v Germany

chicka 06.30.2010 10:24 AM

Favorite Team: USA

Most Annoying Team: Portugal

Most Disappointing Team: USA

Surprise Team: Uruguay

Favorite Player: Sergio Ramos

Most Annoying Player: Jorge Valdivia of Chile

Most Disappointing Player: Tim Howard

Favorite Moment: Donovan's goal in stop time

Worst Moment: Komano hitting the crossbar for Japan

Most Controversial Moment: Lampard's disallowed goal

!@#$%! 06.30.2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

my work life is really welcoming this break. the games have usually been 8-10am, 12:30-2:30pm. how's that for a work schedule? even if i'm free to work evenings, i don't wanna, on account of having woken up early for the morning games. hence, nothing got done.

you could watch this in the meantime-- i did last night

http://www.footytube.com/video/most-...-moments-48673

eh, it's skewed towards british/irish participation, and mostly features the last 20 years (i can't believe there weren't as many "shocking" moments in the 60s/70s/80s), but it's kinda funny-- you've probably seen it already though. poor peter crouch.

ps- "don't come home too soon"-- ha ha ha ha ha ha

!@#$%! 06.30.2010 01:46 PM

Favourite Team: any team from the americas except for honduras (cmon, nice try, but see if you'd qualify in conmebol)

Most Annoying Team: greece

Most Disappointing Team: france + italy. how the mighty fall.

Surprise Team: japan-- who would have thought?

Favourite Player: robinho, elano (not due to name).

Most Annoying Player: koman coulibaly (mali) playing for slovenia

Most Disappointing Player: herculez gomez. did nothing. ever.

Favourite Moment: usa goal in supplementary time vs. algeria

Worst Moment: final whistle of usa/ghana game

Most Controversial Moment: most controversial + underrated (the others everyone knows about): yellow + red card fouls on jozy altidore didn't even get a peep from ref on ghana game. first foul left him limping early (yellow), 2nd foul cut him at the shin on the edge of the penalty area (red). fucking cockbags.