Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Effects (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8597)

ondskan 01.19.2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J

Wow, that's a really nice guitar. How much did you pay?
And what's your opinion on the mics?

scott v 01.22.2007 05:01 PM

My effects setup (or one of them for my band Bare Flames):

mxr phase 90 (cap modded)
ProCo Rat older reissue from 80's
EH Russian Bigmuff Reissue (switchable to cap mod to sound like the older vintage army green)
EH Deluxe Memory Man
Digitech 2 second delay/loop

CHOUT 01.22.2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v

can you tell me a bit about this mod? sound differences?

next step 01.23.2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

ProCo Rat older reissue from 80's
EH Russian Bigmuff Reissue (switchable to cap mod to sound like the older vintage army green)
EH Deluxe Memory Man
Digitech 2 second delay/loop

you should have a good sound eh? fun for sure!
have you ever tried to put the analog delay before the dist? could be interesting....sounds rad!

about the cap mod I dont know exactly cause I havent the phase90 but the guy that plays with me did some mod on his old phase90 to adjust some specific things like the clack when turned on/off with a resistor on the switch etc etc dont know exactly......

next step 01.23.2007 01:07 PM

ah guys I forgot to post a link to a mini website I made about some effects.....if could be useful for somebody............http://www.sonicurbs.com/effects/

it's quite technical and fetish yeah

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.23.2007 01:29 PM

I see those digitech PDS delays on so many boards even though they don't make them anymore. They must be awesome.

next step 01.23.2007 01:39 PM

yes they sound very dark/warm to be digital! probably even cause their low resolution that in the mid 80s was regular. then they are up to 2sec (and more) and I dont think in the mid 80 there were so much 2sec digital delay guitar pedals!

I'm sure they were used even for techno live music till the early 90s. cause they have warm bass freq and thay allow just a short loop.

scott v 01.23.2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOUT
can you tell me a bit about this mod? sound differences?

On the MXR Phase 90, first off i need to correct myself as i've done this mod a year ago... i actually have the Block Logo new reissue Phase 90 (whom i bought from Naomi on this board...), and its a resistor modification (not a capacitor) removing or disconnecting the R28 feedback resistor (24k). It makes it sound abit more like the older original "script model" (but still not the same!!!) by eliminating the distorted mid-boost when engaging the effect. It is easy to do, the hardest part is removing the board from the unit compartment, the resistor is in the upper corner and should be marked (as R28 on the board), making it easier to identify... just clip one of the leads to the resistor with tiny scissors, or you can get creative and add a small switch to alternate from the original tone to the modded one. I've just learned of several more modifications that can be done to the "Block Logo" models where capicators may be removed or interchanged w/ different values to filter noise, or give unity gain when the effect is engaged (because there is a slight yet noticable boost), and also the trimpot can be adjusted, here is the link:

http://diy.erikhansen.net/phase90.htm

w/ the mod this is a great phaser i think, as a factory unit i thought it was ok... However i must say that I had TWO vintage late 60's early 70's Maestro phase shifters (a PS-1A and PS-1B) both were killer sounding units the best phase sound i ever heard but they were huge dinosaurs to have in my setup and i didn't have the footswitch that would go with these either making it a complex issue to activate the toggles with my feet, so i sold them, for some decent money.

scott v 01.23.2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by next step
you should have a good sound eh? fun for sure!
have you ever tried to put the analog delay before the dist? could be interesting....sounds rad!

about the cap mod I dont know exactly cause I havent the phase90 but the guy that plays with me did some mod on his old phase90 to adjust some specific things like the clack when turned on/off with a resistor on the switch etc etc dont know exactly......

I actually did try to put the Memory Man before the Muff and Rat, I use the Memory Man as a subtle effect, and not very often to expand the sound of my guitar during certain song sections so to me it sounded better after those distortion/fuzz units. I use the Memory Man alot more in other projects that are more psych/noisey/experimental.

scott v 01.23.2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by next step
yes they sound very dark/warm to be digital! probably even cause their low resolution that in the mid 80s was regular. then they are up to 2sec (and more) and I dont think in the mid 80 there were so much 2sec digital delay guitar pedals!

I'm sure they were used even for techno live music till the early 90s. cause they have warm bass freq and thay allow just a short loop.

I love the Digitech PDS-1002! for all of those reasons! and i suppose thats why Lee still uses these units...

I actually had a PDS-2000 which was also made in the 80's and it had an unprecedented 8 second delay/loop ability (along with switching to 2 seconds, and 500 ms? i think) i bought it off ebay for like $150 about 5 years ago. Unfortunately the unit was giving out, the capacitors were shot and soem other components, the repeat was decaying in a very bad way so the sound was not any good and i had to part ways with it.

Danny Himself 01.23.2007 06:41 PM

Run your electric shaver over the guitar pickups. Sounds awesome.

CHOUT 01.23.2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Run your electric shaver over the guitar pickups. Sounds awesome.

You shave? That's mindblowing.:p

CHOUT 01.23.2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

On the MXR Phase 90, first off i need to correct myself as i've done this mod a year ago... i actually have the Block Logo new reissue Phase 90 (whom i bought from Naomi on this board...), and its a resistor modification (not a capacitor) removing or disconnecting the R28 feedback resistor (24k). It makes it sound abit more like the older original "script model" (but still not the same!!!) by eliminating the distorted mid-boost when engaging the effect. It is easy to do, the hardest part is removing the board from the unit compartment, the resistor is in the upper corner and should be marked (as R28 on the board), making it easier to identify... just clip one of the leads to the resistor with tiny scissors, or you can get creative and add a small switch to alternate from the original tone to the modded one. I've just learned of several more modifications that can be done to the "Block Logo" models where capicators may be removed or interchanged w/ different values to filter noise, or give unity gain when the effect is engaged (because there is a slight yet noticable boost), and also the trimpot can be adjusted, here is the link:

http://diy.erikhansen.net/phase90.htm

w/ the mod this is a great phaser i think, as a factory unit i thought it was ok... However i must say that I had TWO vintage late 60's early 70's Maestro phase shifters (a PS-1A and PS-1B) both were killer sounding units the best phase sound i ever heard but they were huge dinosaurs to have in my setup and i didn't have the footswitch that would go with these either making it a complex issue to activate the toggles with my feet, so i sold them, for some decent money.

Thanks man, I'm probably gonna mod mine too. Seems pretty easy like the Blue Box.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.25.2007 03:30 PM

It is here. I switched the order though, frequency analyzer is now in the chain before the polyphase, as it sounds better.

king_buzzo 01.25.2007 03:40 PM

hello there fellow shortscale boarder!

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.25.2007 03:40 PM

Teehee.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.25.2007 03:48 PM

I'm getting a little bored of shortscale.org, a lot of the nice guys have slowly turned into dicks.

king_buzzo 01.25.2007 03:51 PM

i joined a week ago. sometimes theres these really dumbass funny threads.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.25.2007 04:18 PM

That's true, and there is a lot of good info to be had. Hurb, Aen, and Sloan are all pretty cool guys.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 02.22.2007 06:58 PM

Bump.

By decree of the Mighty Savage Clone- all gear discussion will go in here!