Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

!@#$%! 07.10.2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pony
for symbols:

good morning, midnight: it reminded be of green girl by kate zambreno and when it reminded be of it i immediately started hating both books but it's not jean's fault that that kate girl is her biggest fan and wants to steal some of her glory or at least seem cool in front of kids that don't know good morning, midnight

this is how you lose her: loved it and i wanna give it to the next guy who breaks my heart and say something like "you're gonna end up just like him if you leave my great ass. I SWEAR".
i picture the main character as a strong ass hot guy from the DR n shit and he probably has a really nice face but is also human and has feelings. but still acts like a dick. i don't know...

THANK YOU. that helps.

good to see no boys were diddled for this one. maybe some day i'll pick up his books again.

haven't heard of kate zambrano but are you saying that she ripped of jean rhys? how so? oh, i am curious now.

anyway, time for me to deliver on my promise:

Quote:

i dunno
i think i just want something sad

fuckin shit do i have the book for you-- i mean if you haven't yet read it

Marguerite Duras -- L'Amant (Eng. tr. = The Lover)

Blood_Promise 07.10.2014 02:39 PM

Story of the Eye - yes, nice sex scenes, the rest of his oeuvre is full of spiraling despair. can't stand his philosophical works though.

pony 07.10.2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
haven't heard of kate zambrano but are you saying that she ripped of jean rhys? how so? oh, i am curious now.

i feel like it's kinda the same. except the green girl is younger and the novel is set in london and the girl is nasty as shit

i googled that book just now and saw she was compared to jean rhys. WHAT A SURPRISE

pony 07.10.2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood_Promise

downloaded this one

dead_battery's link was just a reading response, shame on him!

dead_battery 07.10.2014 02:51 PM

i gave u a torrent

i work hard to put pdfs on the table all day. then i make one mistake and u start nagging.

make me coffee then maybe i'll let u apologise

pony 07.10.2014 02:52 PM

i dunno how to torrent, bitch!

if you put something on the table better make sure i can eat it

no butt touching for you tonight! if YOU won't apologize you will sleep on the couch tonight. do you want that? think of your back! you are not the youngest anymore.

!@#$%! 07.10.2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

i feel like it's kinda the same. except the green girl is younger and the novel is set in london and the girl is nasty as shit

i googled that book just now and saw she was compared to jean rhys. WHAT A SURPRISE

there's some similarities in their backgrounds in that they were both colonials and poor.

but the lover is a masterpiece of sadness. she's fantastic!

anyway when you're over your need for girl drama (i imagine you find something cathartic in their predicaments) i can recommend other very different stuff.

but read that one. fucking great book.

pony 07.10.2014 02:57 PM

which one??

pony 07.10.2014 03:04 PM

i feel like i am being difficult

sorry buds

Blood_Promise 07.10.2014 03:07 PM

does anyone have a pdf of "Damming the Flood: Haiti and the Politics of Containment?" ?

dead_battery 07.10.2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

sorry buds

go here and click download

install it, it will ask you to install some other crap during the process but just say no.

go to the link i gave you, click the box that says "DOWNLOAD TORRENT" at the top of the page. click whatever comes up and it will download the torrent for you.

torrents are really simple. just be careful about what you're downloading, look for comments affirming that its real before you d/l anything.

those files i linked to are epub so you'll need something that can use that format.

!@#$%! 07.10.2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

which one??

DURAS.

L'Amant

Quote:

always!

(ps no worries, we are used to it)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.10.2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead_battery
go here and click download

Sorry yo, Metallica says, "Piracy, it's a crime."

dead_battery 07.10.2014 04:47 PM

briorigng

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 07.10.2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dead_battery
briorigng

Those are some storm trooper as boots yo!

Rob Instigator 07.15.2014 11:57 AM

Cool stuff! Love checking shit out of the Library where I work!

evollove 07.15.2014 01:05 PM

That does look cool.

I miss my comix days. I was all about the RAW and Drawn and Quarterly-type people at one point.

Rob Instigator 07.15.2014 01:31 PM

It is great because it is not a Q & A type of thing. It is just images and then comments and stories from the artists about the image being shown, sometimes their work, sometimes something that influenced them. cool stuff.

pony 07.16.2014 01:43 AM

until now i really like it, some of the characters in the stories seem like they don't really know what they're doing/are confused, which i really like.

pony 07.18.2014 12:02 PM

books for free!! (i stole them out of my little brother's old room. they are mine now)